**Official Iowa vs. Nebrantska Football Thread - 12:30pm - BTN**

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
First of all, he is a great guy and at the same time a prideful individual. He views this as supporting Padilla while at the same time protecting Petras and his own and coaching staff reputation.

It's fine. Who cares. We all know that Petras isn't playing again.
Vintage.

TAIhawk

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Nebrantska has had organized football for 131 years. They have 5 national titles (impressive, actually). However, based upon their fans’ perception of “success”, their success rate is .7% (for you buskers with math issues, that is LESS THAN 1% successful seasons)…… congratulations

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Nebrantska has had organized football for 131 years. They have 5 national titles (impressive, actually). However, based upon their fans’ perception of “success”, their success rate is .7% (for you buskers with math issues, that is LESS THAN 1% successful seasons)…… congratulations
Actually 3.8% success tho I like your stat better.

TAIhawk

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
May or may not have been halfway through a 750 of Knob Creek in my hotel room in Indy …… can I take a Mulligan?

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Please rewatch this game without bias, and I challenge you to tell me Spencer was better.

Beyond stats and the outcome, watch with your eyes, and tell me in good faith that Petras was the better QB in this game, and worthy of the starting job going into this season.

I'm embarrassed for you if you believe that. You are either blind or retarded

thrawn

Reaction score
Please rewatch this game without bias, and I challenge you to tell me Spencer was better.

Beyond stats and the outcome, watch with your eyes, and tell me in good faith that Petras was the better QB in this game, and worthy of the starting job going into this season.

they each had two medium length FG drives, a long drive that ended with a turnover (downs at the 1 for Padilla, a Goodson fumble for Petras), and a bad drive with a punt. D/ST played poorly in 1H and produced 9 points in the second half. Then on the tie breaking drive Goodson ripped off a 55-yard run.

it’s exceedingly irritating that Spence “won” the job back from that

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Padilla was also sick and on IVs I believe during that game. I think drops and a union card double standard conspired to fuck our man Alex.

Last edited:

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

When Padilla was playing well he was clearly better than Peaches when Peaches was playing “well” (has that ever actually happened?).

I really hope they have a quick hook this year with Spencer (I know…lol). With this schedule they can’t afford to fuck around with a newborn giraffe at QB and drop some stupid game early in the year.

Last edited:

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
When Padilla was playing well he was clearly better than Peaches when Peaches was playing “well” (has that ever actually happened?).

I really hope they have a quick hook this year with Spencer (I know…lol). With this schedule they can’t afford to fuck around with a newborn giraffe at QB and drop some stupid game early in the year.
I'm prepared for a James Vandenberg senior year. Every snap baby.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Pretty sure he meant Vandenberg's stats

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
My 13 year old son was watching clips on YouTube last night and asked if Padilla transferred. I said no, and he said WTF why isn't he starting? He should have applied for KOK's vacated position.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score

I was hoping Padilla would pull away and be the starting QB in the bowl game and for this year, but only in a social media/groupthink/halo/let's all be miserable kinda way could it be construed that he played better than Petras in the Nebrantska game. Padilla had that god-awful yip of a 4th down pass that cost Iowa 7 points and at least two passes (that I remember) that he threw right at a Nebrantska player. Petras had one awful pass that was dropped by Nebrantska.

Padilla also benefited from being the QB on that early 4th down (I believe) where Nebrantska completely sold out on the run and they play-actioned to a wide-open Laporta for 30 or 40 yards. My 12 year-old could have made the throw.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Man, I just looked at Vandy’s stats. He went from throwing 25 TDs in 2011 to 7 TDs and 8 interceptions in 2012. I think I had that blocked from my memory. What a brutal year he had, but the talent around him sucked too.
Wasn't 2012 also the first year for GDGD?

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I was hoping Padilla would pull away and be the starting QB in the bowl game and for this year, but only in a social media/groupthink/halo/let's all be miserable kinda way could it be construed that he played better than Petras in the Nebrantska game. Padilla had that god-awful yip of a 4th down pass that cost Iowa 7 points and at least two passes (that I remember) that he threw right at a Nebrantska player. Petras had one awful pass that was dropped by Nebrantska.

Padilla also benefited from being the QB on that early 4th down (I believe) where Nebrantska completely sold out on the run and they play-actioned to a wide-open Laporta for 30 or 40 yards. My 12 year-old could have made the throw.
I don't think Padilla is great but I think there's more upside to be found with him. Maybe he plays half a season and, you know, actually improves?

Reaction score
I get that...was just throwing it out there as one more thing that contributed.
I understand that and maybe Davis was a poor fit for our style of play and talent on hand, but I think a real lack of talent was the reason for our miserable 4-8 season and Vandy’s woes.

Last edited:

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wasn't 2012 also the first year for GDGD?
Yes.

Vandenberg racked up insane numbers in HS by basically only throwing quick slants; the only problem was that he couldn't actually consistently throw much else, and definitely not the out route to the sideline that got that fat fuck Gerg all tingly in the privates. (Iowa actually more or less adapted to Vandenberg's abilities in 2011; it helped to still have Marvin McNutt in the lineup, of course, but we wouldn't have beat Pitt without an inside-throwing machine at QB.)

New OC + refusal to adjust the offense to the skill set + defenses knowing VDB couldn't throw outside to save his life + having the OL set ablaze by Zombie Penn State = a genuinely terrible team. (And the damnedest thing of all was that, as clusterfucked as 2012 was, that team was incredibly close to 8-4. (Weisman brain-fart wide open in the end zone against ISU, three (3) game-losing FGs given up against clearly lesser competition in CMU, Purdue, and Indiana.))

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think Padilla is great but I think there's more upside to be found with him. Maybe he plays half a season and, you know, actually improves?
That's kind of where I am at. Padilla hasn't been any better, but it's easier to imagine him improving a little with experience. We've seen enough of Petras.

Reaction score
Yes.

Vandenberg racked up insane numbers in HS by basically only throwing quick slants; the only problem was that he couldn't actually consistently throw much else, and definitely not the out route to the sideline that got that fat fuck Gerg all tingly in the privates. (Iowa actually more or less adapted to Vandenberg's abilities in 2011; it helped to still have Marvin McNutt in the lineup, of course, but we wouldn't have beat Pitt without an inside-throwing machine at QB.)

New OC + refusal to adjust the offense to the skill set + defenses knowing VDB couldn't throw outside to save his life + having the OL set ablaze by Zombie Penn State = a genuinely terrible team. (And the damnedest thing of all was that, as clusterfucked as 2012 was, that team was incredibly close to 8-4. (Weisman brain-fart wide open in the end zone against ISU, three (3) game-losing FGs given up against clearly lesser competition in CMU, Purdue, and Indiana.))
PSU moved the ball at will that night too

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Man, I just looked at Vandy’s stats. He went from throwing 25 TDs in 2011 to 7 TDs and 8 interceptions in 2012. I think I had that blocked from my memory. What a brutal year he had, but the talent around him sucked too.
He got Davis'd

Reaction score
Yea but look at the roster. God awful on offense and the defense wasn’t really that great either.
Amazingly, that team was a couple plays from being 6-0 going into the PSU game. Then Scherff and Donnal had their seasons ended (was it consecutive plays?) and both Weisman and Bullock limped around on bad ankles.

The roster almost rivaled 1999 at some positions, thanks to the recruiting classes of '08 and'09 and injuries.

They also burned Drew Ott's redshirt at the end of the year for 1 solo tackle and two assists.

*Looks like I plagiarized fossil a bit there.

Last edited: