**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 6:30pm - ABC**

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Couple thoughts.

1. Another shit sandwich from Brian.

2. Penn State was begging Iowa to come at their corners on outside all night. ISM and Smith both one on one with minimal safety help.

3. Seems like About 99.5 percent of the time Brady Ross is in, Iowa is running. Everybody in the fucking stadium knows it.

4. Stanley's going through the typical awesome junior year followed by backwards senior year Iowa QBs seem to follow.
1. Outstanding analysis
2. You are just amazing at this.
3. Have you applied for a spot on the staff, because they could really use a guy like you.
4. If not, maybe you should just go fuck yourself.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Franklin owns Iowa. And that sucks
That dumbfuck ran down to the next section over and leapt into the stands after the game. A very Fleck-like thing to do. They can both fuck off for their look at me bullshit.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2019/10/14/20911977/iowa-hawkeyes-football-inability-to-score-feels-borderline-hyperbolic-brian-kirk-ferentz-bhgp?fbclid=IwAR394sZzXjva_le3yZpwR1naIrXX08S_BHGCFSPDeRDHpV8bqaD8UyhAysg

"When I wrote my matchup to watch this week, the stat I latched onto was 11 conference games in 20, the Iowa Hawkeyes offense has failed to score more than 20 points. After their 17-12 loss to the Penn State Nittany Lions, that statistic is 12 in 21.

In these 21 games, Iowa has averaged 24.4 offensive points a game. And that number kind of feels livable if you’re scoring exactly 24 points a game within the confines of Kirk Ferentz football. In fact, Iowa would be 13-6-2 in such a world. And this is without the borderline historic defense & special teams touchdowns we’ve seen since 2017.

But that isn’t the world we live in because Iowa is, instead, 10-11 in conference games over the last 21. "

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I know this will likely be bowed to shit, but also need to have a bit of perspective here. Iowa lost a game they had a chance to tie or win on the last possession against a Top 15 team on the road. They lost a 5 point game to a Top 10 team. Both of them have a good to very good defense.

Iowa is still going to be set up for a good season. They will likely pound on the lesser teams like Purdue, Illinois and yes even Northwestern. I like them still against Minnesota at home and Nebrantska on the road. Wisconsin is still a game they will line up and play despite how dire everyone thinks it will be.

Yeah, might be an 8 or 9 win team and a decent bowl game, but that is exactly what most of us thought they were going to be before the season.
Good post, and yes, perspective is important. Agree that an 8 - 9 win season was certainly within reasonable expectations. And yet, we can still complain about what we see as obvious problems that should be fixable.

My biggest complaint is Brian's play calling. We are soooo predictable. Every time Nate calls an audible, it is to a running play, and the defense knows the play almost 100% of the time. They just sell out. When there are some holes, you have to find a way to keep the defense guessing, and off balance. That is where Brian is, in my opinion, doing a very poor job.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I also don't get what the fuck the defense was doing on the last meaningful play of the game. 3rd down and short when it is hilariously obvious that Penn State figured out 2 possessions earlier that they were retarded if they ever threw another pass, Iowa still has a deep safety instead of playing man and loading the box.
Correct again. We have to completely fucking sell out on the run on that series. I think they should be taking those kind of chances when they had PSU penned down deep in their own territory. Instead, they let them kill us with a thousand cuts down the field.

coff

Busker
Reaction score

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I also don't get what the fuck the defense was doing on the last meaningful play of the game. 3rd down and short when it is hilariously obvious that Penn State figured out 2 possessions earlier that they were retarded if they ever threw another pass, Iowa still has a deep safety instead of playing man and loading the box.
Correct again. We have to completely fucking sell out on the run on that series. I think they should be taking those kind of chances when they had PSU penned down deep in their own territory. Instead, they let them kill us with a thousand cuts down the field.
So much of Iowa's philosophy is based on minimizing risk. So you play your safeties deep and generally only send 4 DL and dare the opponent to dink and dunk you all the way down the field because the risk associated with a single busted play is way higher. On that series, it was like there was a lack of awareness that the worst thing that could happen to you was 3 short runs.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
So much of Iowa's philosophy is based on minimizing risk. So you play your safeties deep and generally only send 4 DL and dare the opponent to dink and dunk you all the way down the field because the risk associated with a single busted play is way higher. On that series, it was like there was a lack of awareness that the worst thing that could happen to you was 3 short runs.
The maddening thing is Iowa is doing on offense what they are trying to make everyone else do. They have to realize that if they don't get some explosive play they aren't going to score against good teams. They are incapable of marching the ball down 15 plays and scoring.

Going 10 plays and getting down to the 25 hasn't been a problem. It is going that last 25 that is fucking them.

Iowa has to start throwing down the field all the time. They are wildly successful when they do it. Yes, I realize that requires blocking. Basically they are fucked against good teams unless they figure something out.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You are blaming the OC for plays that are changed at the line?

And you know which cadences are an audible and which are bullshit?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
You are blaming the OC for plays that are changed at the line?

And you know which cadences are an audible and which are bullshit?
Unless you think Nate makes up audibles, this is a stupid attempt at semantics. Who's giving him coaching on when to audible and how to make the decision on what plays to audible to?

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
All quarterbacks are better with time, but Nate is just not suited to make this work.

I don't know what you do, I suspect the solution will be to keep plugging and hope the line gets better.
The solution is to wait 'til next year.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
That dumbfuck ran down to the next section over and leapt into the stands after the game. A very Fleck-like thing to do. They can both fuck off for their look at me bullshit.
My wife thought that was cool (he ran right by us to do it). I told her it was not.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but hasn’t earned it, shouldn’t get it.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
My wife thought that was cool (he ran right by us to do it). I told her it was not.
Not cool
A couple of players walked down, slapping hands with fans. When I saw him running towards us I turned to see if those players were getting hassled by Hawk fans. Then I saw the dumbass jump into the stands.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I like when people say we run the New England Patriots style offense

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Brian will ultimately be judged on how his offense performs & w/l...so it will work itself out...but it would be really nice to have a playmaker at RB. Goodson is obviously the best candidate of the current group, but he will need 1 or 2 other studs to come alongside him, given his stature.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Whatever Iowa does in practice, they need to stop. They should follow the NFL's lead which is to basically not hit at all in practice between games. Seems like every season, the OL gets banged up and they end up playing guys either out of position or not ready for prime time. It's just dumb.

Also, Stanley is probably the worst QB for a team with a soft interior line. He's way more talented than he's shown the past two weeks but he's a pocket passer that doesn't ever seem to have a pocket. Brian's not doing him any favors either with his play-calling.

I honestly think that most of their problems on offense stem from the line collapsing up the middle. Even on a goddamn running play. The Goodson fumble happened because the center and right guard got blow up and the PSU tackle was able to hit him from the backside. Their weakness impacts Nate, the receivers, and the running game.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
And Brian absolutely doesn't suck. The OL is in disarray...and given our scheme & a human statue at QB...it's going to be tough to scheme around those 2 impediments. Hopefully Purdue is what the Dr. ordered and we can find a way to not suck against NW. Unless something crazy happens, however, Wisconsin is going to go in dry.

The Paulsen's having 60 y/o knees is really costing the program right now...great kids...just a bad break. They were supposed to be difference makers.

Gushawk

Reaction score
It was clear pretty much right away they were not going to be big on field contributors, imo. Recruiting miss.

Gushawk

Reaction score
What the deal with Ezra Miller? There was buzz about him getting snaps this year at one point.

Banwart hasn’t really done anything to be particularly high on him, imo.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
And Brian absolutely doesn't suck. The OL is in disarray...and given our scheme & a human statue at QB...it's going to be tough to scheme around those 2 impediments. Hopefully Purdue is what the Dr. ordered and we can find a way to not suck against NW. Unless something crazy happens, however, Wisconsin is going to go in dry.

The Paulsen's having 60 y/o knees is really costing the program right now...great kids...just a bad break. They were supposed to be difference makers.
did you think Greg Davis sucked?

Gushawk

Reaction score
If our scheme demands elite guard play to succeed...or even consistently score 25+, not sure I see it on the horizon either.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Absolutely. Power running game with horizontal passing game was an inherent contradiction.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
What the deal with Ezra Miller? There was buzz about him getting snaps this year at one point.

Banwart hasn’t really done anything to be particularly high on him, imo.
He went home for a week or 2 during the season & is having trouble adjusting to college.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Absolutely. Power running game with horizontal passing game was an inherent contradiction.
well, Brian's offenses are averaging less points vs Power 5 teams than Davis'.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Besides the small sample size for Brian, not playing teams of equal defensive strength could render these stats unreliable. But I’m sure they feel correct if you want them to be correct.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa is going to win 10 games this year and finish in the Top 15. Hard to get pissed about that.

Bob

Reaction score
Yup, we need to get better. But my eyes tell me we have execution problems & talent problems moreso than scheme/playcalling problems.
We weren't exactly overflowing with offensive talent when Davis was there either and anyway it's possible for both of them to be bad. I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the guy who is always coordinating bad offenses might have some playcalling issues. If his last name was Smith he'd be just as hated as Davis or KOK were. Are people just desperate to talk themselves into it because they know he's going to be the next coach no matter what?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Yup, we need to get better. But my eyes tell me we have execution problems & talent problems moreso than scheme/playcalling problems.
who's ultimately responsible for the execution of the offense? and should the scheme fit the personnel?

douglasbader

Reaction score

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Whatever Iowa does in practice, they need to stop. They should follow the NFL's lead which is to basically not hit at all in practice between games. Seems like every season, the OL gets banged up and they end up playing guys either out of position or not ready for prime time. It's just dumb.

Also, Stanley is probably the worst QB for a team with a soft interior line. He's way more talented than he's shown the past two weeks but he's a pocket passer that doesn't ever seem to have a pocket. Brian's not doing him any favors either with his play-calling.

I honestly think that most of their problems on offense stem from the line collapsing up the middle. Even on a goddamn running play. The Goodson fumble happened because the center and right guard got blow up and the PSU tackle was able to hit him from the backside. Their weakness impacts Nate, the receivers, and the running game.
Maybe time to scale back all of the chest thumping from the Big10Network guys about how Iowa practices are the most physical they've seen, etc, etc...

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
who's ultimately responsible for the execution of the offense? and should the scheme fit the personnel?
I'm not arguing with you. We all know where you're at with the Ferentz' (or Doyle)...You always make that abundantly clear after we lose.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you. We all know where you're at with the Ferentz' (or Doyle)...You always make that abundantly clear after we lose.
I like Kirk as the HC. But the offense has been sub par for a long time.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score

Maybe time to scale back all of the chest thumping from the Big10Network guys about how Iowa practices are the most physical they've seen, etc, etc...
So long as they’re consistently putting student athletes into high paying NFL jobs, it’s not.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
The defense and schedule will help cover up the line play.

The problem of scheming around deficiencies will remain this year and well beyond.

As much as we and the media throw around the New England comparisons, Iowa is awful at making adjustments week to week.

Other coaches tend to find ways to hide their own weaknesses while exploiting those of the opponent. Iowa does what they do, which is good for winning 7-8 games/year.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
We weren't exactly overflowing with offensive talent when Davis was there either and anyway it's possible for both of them to be bad. I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the guy who is always coordinating bad offenses might have some playcalling issues. If his last name was Smith he'd be just as hated as Davis or KOK were. Are people just desperate to talk themselves into it because they know he's going to be the next coach no matter what?
He has done well as a position coach, imo. He also has an attitude that is fun unless you lose to much.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I want the Brian thing to work, but the results to date don’t remotely justify hiring him to this level of a job.

thrawn

Reaction score
When they went undefeated in 2015 I remember a big media talking point being how they were using advance biometric data to optimize recovery time and had shifted practices around. It seems like whatever they did they gradually went away from.

injuries are going to happen but all of the practice injuries for Iowa this year have been nuts

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

This notion that poor play/depth/talent at certain positions is unique to Iowa or something that Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is somehow the first O Coordinator in the country to have to deal with....is really something

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score

This notion that poor play/depth/talent at certain positions is unique to Iowa or something that Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is somehow the first O Coordinator in the country to have to deal with....is really something
But... Of all the position groups, the O-line should be the absolute least susceptible to it at Iowa.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score

Yeah, let me know when somebody says it.