Officially Done With Ferentz Thread

Reaction score
I emailed him once just to let him know Iowa has a Dental School..
I also know that. I have had more teeth knocked out than old crooked teeth himself. My wife's grand niece is enrolled there at 60k per year. Nice bill when she graduates.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Kirk's gone wild... First the afterseason pre-spring 2deeps, and now letting players give interviews after the pro day!

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
How does Kirk have any say in that anyway?
These guys no longer play for him.
He was probably told by teams that they weren't going to come to his little pro days anymore if they couldn't talk to the players.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I assume that this "news" relates to a few (carefully selected) current members of the team doing interviews.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I assume that he's talking about the underclassmen that also go through the pro day workouts. And I also assume that it's not a free for all, but is a select few well-spoken, non-loose-cannons.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
There's no way he's letting his black-balled players talk to anyone.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
How does Kirk have any say in that anyway?
These guys no longer play for him.
He was probably told by teams that they weren't going to come to his little pro days anymore if they couldn't talk to the players.
Underclassmen attend the pro days too.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Weisman should have been an all time great Iowa fullback and goal line back. Kurt is a dumbfuck.

Reaction score
ESPN names Ferentz Most Overpaid Coach in College Football

Again, Kirk Ferentz's salary was the source of ridicule earlier this week, this time from ESPN, which said the veteran Iowa Hawkeyes coach was the most overpaid in college football.

The Wednesday post at ESPN.com ranked Ferentz, the 17th-year Iowa coach, as having the most bloated deal in college football.

Iowa fans are already rolling their eyes. They've heard all this before because they've seen their school handcuffed for years by the worst contract in college football. If not for a buyout that at one point would have pushed $20 million, Ferentz likely would have been out. No, he definitely would have been out. Instead, because of an unheard of 10-year deal he signed after the 2009 season, Iowa continues to pay top-10 money for a program that isn't sniffing the top 10 in the polls. Coaches agree that Iowa isn't the easiest place to win, but the resources and facilities are well above average and the division is the most winnable in the country.

According to the USA Today coaches salary database, Ferentz earned about $4.1 million in 2014. That ranked ninth among the highest-paid coaches in college football. Alabama's Nick Saban was the most handsomely paid, at about $7.2 million for 2014.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

Again, Kirk Ferentz's salary was the source of ridicule earlier this week, this time from ESPN, which said the veteran Iowa Hawkeyes coach was the most overpaid in college football.

The Wednesday post at ESPN.com ranked Ferentz, the 17th-year Iowa coach, as having the most bloated deal in college football.

Iowa fans are already rolling their eyes. They've heard all this before because they've seen their school handcuffed for years by the worst contract in college football. If not for a buyout that at one point would have pushed $20 million, Ferentz likely would have been out. No, he definitely would have been out. Instead, because of an unheard of 10-year deal he signed after the 2009 season, Iowa continues to pay top-10 money for a program that isn't sniffing the top 10 in the polls. Coaches agree that Iowa isn't the easiest place to win, but the resources and facilities are well above average and the division is the most winnable in the country.

According to the USA Today coaches salary database, Ferentz earned about $4.1 million in 2014. That ranked ninth among the highest-paid coaches in college football. Alabama's Nick Saban was the most handsomely paid, at about $7.2 million for 2014.
Really? The Giant Douche West is worse than the ACC Coastal?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Really? The Giant Douche West is worse than the ACC Coastal?
It is sad, but I would say absolutely at this point.

Nebrantska is declining and now has a new coach that was shitty at Oregon State the last few years. Wisconsin might finally be set for a plunge after going through their 3rd coach in 3 years. Minnesota was celebrated at 8-5. Iowa is mediocre. Illinois sucks. Northwestern sucks. Purdue is a joke.

Gushawk

Reaction score
If Wisconsin and Nebrantska don't maintain, it will be just a tremendous shit show. That Iowa will finish 3rd or worse in.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again, the Big Ten East will eventually be The Big Ten. The West will fragment over time. All the power resides in the East.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again, the Big Ten East will eventually be The Big Ten. The West will fragment over time. All the power resides in the East.
You also said 4 SEC teams would be in the playoff this year.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
All of your other predictions have gone swimmingly so far. Can't see why this one would be any different.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
That article said KF would have been gone by now if not for the hellacious buyout. I'm not so sure. I'm not sure they really understand the culture here.

Reaction score
That article said KF would have been gone by now if not for the hellacious buyout. I'm not so sure. I'm not sure they really understand the culture here.
It's ESPN - of COURSE they understand the culture at Iowa. They are Iowa heavy in their coverage for cripes sake.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
The program feels as if it's broken and under highly questionable leadership right now.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
I can handle a loss just like any other fan in America, but it's so damn hard to know the program is handcuffed to a mediocre coaching staff for the next decade or so.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
The program feels as if it's broken and under highly questionable leadership right now.
Maybe not broken but seriously undermanned in several areas. For every really good year there are one or two so-so years along with the occasional real turd. Something Iowa fans must accept and try to live with.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Maybe not broken but seriously undermanned in several areas. For every really good year there are one or two so-so years along with the occasional real turd. Something Iowa fans must accept and try to live with.
There's no mystery. Iowa does a great job in player development but a poor job in building depth through recruiting. They can't "reload" like the best teams so you go through these shitty years where guys play that shouldn't. Usually, after 3-4 years, they're solid. But until then, you have years like this.

PipeDaddy

Reaction score
There's no mystery. Iowa does a great job in player development but a poor job in building depth through recruiting. They can't "reload" like the best teams so you go through these shitty years where guys play that shouldn't. Usually, after 3-4 years, they're solid. But until then, you have years like this.
The reality is that last season was incredibly lucky. The stars aligned for so many games, so many breaks, weak schedule, etc. It was a magical season no doubt, and I'm not trying to diminish it at all. But it was not the usual Iowa breakout season where we have developed guys and they come to fruition either when you look at the talent levels.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the last few years are a direct result of crappier than usual recruiting due to a stale program which appeared to have lost its desire to compete. And some poor usage of the talent there is. I don't think you can pass it off as the same old same old regular cycles like earlier in KFs tenure.

That being said there is some hope because of this years recruiting class and hopefully reviving some of the talent level. If we can retain the commits we have gotten, of course.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I can handle a loss just like any other fan in America, but it's so damn hard to know the program is handcuffed to a mediocre coaching staff for the next decade or so.
Dantonio is mediocre?

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The reality is that last season was incredibly lucky. The stars aligned for so many games, so many breaks, weak schedule, etc. It was a magical season no doubt, and I'm not trying to diminish it at all. But it was not the usual Iowa breakout season where we have developed guys and they come to fruition either when you look at the talent levels.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the last few years are a direct result of crappier than usual recruiting due to a stale program which appeared to have lost its desire to compete. And some poor usage of the talent there is. I don't think you can pass it off as the same old same old regular cycles like earlier in KFs tenure.

That being said there is some hope because of this years recruiting class and hopefully reviving some of the talent level. If we can retain the commits we have gotten, of course.
Lets let the ink dry first.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I guess the reality is the state of iowa doesn't produce a large number of D1 recruits and it doesn't have an ocean or anything else cool here to attract players so I have to enjoy the great seasons that happen every 5 or 6 years and accept mediocrity the rest of the time.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
How was Nebrantska so good for so long? They had no problem attracting top talent and they have those same issues.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
How was Nebrantska so good for so long? They had no problem attracting top talent and they have those same issues.
115 scholarships plus they got a lot of the local guys to 'walk on'

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

The reason Iowa can't sustain success is, well, their inability to sustain success. They have gotten a little spike in recruiting with this class and last years class. With a poor year this year they will take a dip in recruiting for a couple of classes. Then there will be an uptick again once the good recruits become juniors and seniors.

The other thing is Iowa struggles when they don't have a motivated team. Last year they were motivated, watched film all summer and set strength records. After the game yesterday Jewell said they need to get back to watching film again. Basically it sounds like they got a little lazy and it is showing up on the field.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
They used to be able to have around ten academic partial qualifiers now it's only two.

Reaction score
Everyone else caught up to Nebrantska in the S&C dept but IMO Nebrantska's biggest advantage was their system and they ran it to perfection. They always had an identity-today? Not so much but they have enough tradition, $$$ and fan support to stay successful but I doubt they'll ever reach their previous level of success.

PipeDaddy

Reaction score

Thus the last sentence.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Thus the last sentence.
Yeah, it was early. I missed it.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Certainly did not take him long to make us utterly irrelevant again. Considerably faster than I expected. At least a year ahead of schedule, and yes it will and probably should have crootin' consequences.

Last edited: