- Ohio State vs Iowa. 2/4/21. 6:00pm. ESPN -

Reaction score
They should come back to the court and practice how not to airball 3 times in a row.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Started 11/18 from 3. Went 3/13 after that.

That second half was pretty inexcusable from Fran. Did he forget they had Garza? From up 11 to up 1 in 2 minutes. Incredible.

Natty Bumppo

Chiropractor for Eyes
Reaction score
If JBo doesn’t shoot 90% from three he is a huge net negative.
He played all 20 minutes in the second half? WTF is Fran watching?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Probably the worst game I can remedy Fran coaching. Apparently some starters bitched about their minutes, in a win mind you, and he capitulated to those demands. An absolute travesty that JSuck played they entire 2nd half.
what? This sounds like a bad rumor, or Fran setting himself to make changes.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The dream of winning the B10 regular season, with the best player in the country and a team stacked with shooters, was fun while it lasted.
i mean, if you look at the actual talent on this team, it WAS a dream.

Reaction score
I would love to be at practice when they scrimmage. Take Garza off the 1s and I bet it's a street fight.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
bohannon hitting shots early was a killer. It caused him to stay in the game all fucking night and he was truly awful. His effort and awareness on defense for a 5th year senior that talks so much shit is pathetic.

The second killer was getting that 11 point lead. The bench was dancing around like fools and suddenly Iowa thought everything would go in and they could just stop playing defense. They were clearly out of sorts and gave up multiple threes and Fran refused to recognize it or call a timeout because he was determined to get to the under 12 media timeout and it fucked the entire lead.

Fran simply stopped coaching in the second half, he saw Iowa get hot and hoped it would just continue. Sure, Iowa scored a ton, but they were a fucking joke on defense.

All of this a game after he said he was going to get more minutes for Perkins and Ulis. He should have listened to himself.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Started 11/18 from 3. Went 3/13 after that.

That second half was pretty inexcusable from Fran. Did he forget they had Garza? From up 11 to up 1 in 2 minutes. Incredible.
As soon as they were down late, they abandoned the offense and started chucking.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen people mention Fran's comments about starters complaining about minutes but can't find anything even close to that.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Yes, getting shots is what you want players to be concerned about.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
How about win a certain amount of games, as of team, regardless of your ego and minutes played. I’m sure 95% of us played at some level. Winning is a hell of a lot better than “getting up shots.”

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon hitting shots early was a killer. It caused him to stay in the game all fucking night and he was truly awful. His effort and awareness on defense for a 5th year senior that talks so much shit is pathetic.

The second killer was getting that 11 point lead. The bench was dancing around like fools and suddenly Iowa thought everything would go in and they could just stop playing defense. They were clearly out of sorts and gave up multiple threes and Fran refused to recognize it or call a timeout because he was determined to get to the under 12 media timeout and it fucked the entire lead.

Fran simply stopped coaching in the second half, he saw Iowa get hot and hoped it would just continue. Sure, Iowa scored a ton, but they were a fucking joke on defense.

All of this a game after he said he was going to get more minutes for Perkins and Ulis. He should have listened to himself.
The most frustrating thing is they just don’t make anything remotely tough on defense. It’s one pass wide open threes for their BEST shooter. I have no idea what they are trying to do with the zone other than point at all the guys on offense. Just stand and point. We’ve gone from right around 65 on d at Ken Pom to outside the top 120 in four games.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Missed bunnies and FTs, can’t guard the 3pt line, wacky lineup control, inability to get Garza touches, missing CJ really hurts, the team still can’t handle physical play, letting rebounds hit the floor, no killer instinct.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You finally have a legitimate bench, especially defensively and you run your slow starters the entire 2H. I’m speechless the coach is that fucking clueless.
I'm not defending Fran as you can see above, but Fran got caught watching. He saw his team come out hot, get that 11 point lead and was just hoping they could get that back. It didn't happen and by the time he looks up it is crunch time and basically a tie game.

He isn't going to unload the bench with 6 minutes left, so he was stuck and stayed with his starters. They rewarded him by giving up open three after open three.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
You finally have a legitimate bench, especially defensively and you run your slow starters the entire 2H. I’m speechless the coach is that fucking clueless.
He’ll swing completely back the other way next game. There’s no consistency in Fran’s bench use. Never has been.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If they just rebounded 30% more of the other teams misses they would be fine. But they have been getting mauled on the glass and give up too many second chance points.

They’re also terrible free throw shooters. Wieskamp is under 70%. Garza is trending towards last years free throw numbers and Connor is under 60%.

This next stretch will say a lot about this team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is they just don’t make anything remotely tough on defense. It’s one pass wide open threes for their BEST shooter. I have no idea what they are trying to do with the zone other than point at all the guys on offense. Just stand and point. We’ve gone from right around 65 on d at Ken Pom to outside the top 120 in four games.
Perfect example of Iowa defense on the last three of the game. It took 2 passes. They threw it to the guy Connor was guarding in his zone, he threw it to the top, for some reason Connor turns his head and sags way off into the lane, they throw it right back to his guy, Connor looks startled and realizes too late to get his hand up and get out there. Ohio State buries a three.

Game over.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If they just rebounded 30% more of the other teams misses they would be fine. But they have been getting mauled on the glass and give up too many second chance points.

They’re also terrible free throw shooters. Wieskamp is under 70%. Garza is trending towards last years free throw numbers and Connor is under 60%.

Post-loss reaction take, but I don’t see this team (starting guards especially) showing enough toughness or defensive brains to get it done on the road in these upcoming tilts. Fran has to use the bench.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

This is spot on. We don’t play great d anyway but add in not being able to rebound with not causing any turnovers and it’s a recipe for historically bad defense.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Zone in general is sacrilegious but that zone is an abomination. I refuse to believe that’s the best they can come up with. Play goddamm man to man like the game is meant to be played and live with the consequences.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Perfect example of Iowa defense on the last three of the game. It took 2 passes. They threw it to the guy Connor was guarding in his zone, he threw it to the top, for some reason Connor turns his head and sags way off into the lane, they throw it right back to his guy, Connor looks startled and realizes too late to get his hand up and get out there. Ohio State buries a three.

Game over.
That was sequence was insane. Guys hit two in row and all he had to do was pass and stand for a wide open three. Connor’s help d leads to him unnecessarily fouling guys that have to make tough shots or leaving guys wide open the few games.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Zone in general is sacrilegious but that zone is an abomination. I refuse to believe that’s the best they can come up with. Play goddamm man to man like the game is meant to be played and live with the consequences.
Still a good spot for Iowa tonight, Fritz?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I mean, don't want to overreact, but it's 4 straight games where the defense has been shit. It has been 4 games where CJ isn't playing and they look different overall.

Fran has some decisions to make. bohannon is clearly terrible on defense, Connor is struggling and can't hit shots or free throws and your bench guys are playing their ass off.

Personally, at this point, if I am Fran I wouldn't really give a flying fuck what bohannon and Connor think or say if I start "benching" them. They can both start still and retain their pride, but if they aren't doing what they need to do, then they aren't going to play much more than 20 minutes.

bohannon is gone in about 15 games or whatever. Perkins and Ulis will be here for another 4 years.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Fran doesn’t care how well his substitutions worked Tuesday

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Game over.
He missed it, but I was still really pissed that Connor just stood and watched the guy (Ahrens) who had just buried three straight 3s put up another wide open look. He'd given up the last one, and then did the exact same thing - like you said, sagged off and then surprised & way late on the close out.

Either Fran needs to stop playing zone with the starters, or find a coach who can teach them how to actually you know defend the opposition in the zone. With how the starters defend while in the zone, that's just asking a good shooting team like OSU to light you the fuck up.

The Tin Man

Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fran, if you are listening, you are in February in the Big Ten. You need guys that play defense, not a bunch of extra offense.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Just an abomination. Terrible coaching in the second half. No way around it.

ETA: Not even his starters. He pulled Murray and never put him back in. Left the Garza/Nunge combo out there to get destroyed with bohannon/Connor/Joe.