- Ohio State vs Iowa. 2/4/21. 6:00pm. ESPN -

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Again, a pussy ass excuse, but imagine Carver-Hawkeye tonight late in the game with 15k+ going nuts chanting DE-FENSE!! and exploding every time Iowa hit a shot.

Fuck COVID-19.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
The reality is without Fredrick healthy, they are a Top 15 level team.

It's not like they have a truly bad loss. Indiana at home is close, but even they were ranked #22 after that game.

The trouble is they don't have any easy games the rest of the year except maybe Penn State at home.

@Indiana
Rutgers
@Michigan State
@Wisconsin
Penn State
@Ohio State
@Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebrantska??

One last pussy ass excuse making observation.... tonight is likely where not having a roaring crowd at home makes a huge difference. If that game between #7 and #8 is nationally televised with the ESPN A-Team on site and 15,500+ fans going apeshit, I'm guessing suddenly they might give more of a fuck and be locked in on defense. It also might have been a bit harder for Ohio State to hit like 5 threes in a row with the crowd going crazy.
They also don't really have any statement wins. They've beaten ranked teams, but beating unc doesn't really mean anything anymore. Northwestern or minnesota? Doesn't move the needle.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They also don't really have any statement wins. They've beaten ranked teams, but beating unc doesn't really mean anything anymore. Northwestern or minnesota? Doesn't move the needle.
Agreed, but that is the other side of the coin coming up. Every game is an opportunity at a really good to great win except maybe Penn State.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
Again, a pussy ass excuse, but imagine Carver-Hawkeye tonight late in the game with 15k+ going nuts chanting DE-FENSE!! and exploding every time Iowa hit a shot.

Fuck COVID-19.
Well, it is sort of a pussy excuse. While it would be great for them to have fans at the home games, it's not like the opposite isn't true when they go on the road.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well, it is sort of a pussy excuse. While it would be great for them to have fans at the home games, it's not like the opposite isn't true when they go on the road.
Yeah, they don’t win at Rutgers. I don’t think the crowd makes difference in Indiana loss.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Which is why I sad it is, but I think for Iowa it is clearly making an impact. This is a team that lost 1 game at Carver-Hawkeye last year after the DePaul game. They've lose 2 straight now. It matters.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Which is why I sad it is, but I think for Iowa it is clearly making an impact. This is a team that lost 1 game at Carver-Hawkeye last year after the DePaul game. They've lose 2 straight now. It matters.
2 out of 3.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
I know what you're saying. But it's an unknowable impact to the final results overall.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm going to double down on the positive. It's early, have seen really really good teams have stretches like this where they struggle to figure shit out when they lose a key player.

Not only will they get on track and beat Indiana, I think they win the next 3 going into a huge game at Wisconsin.

Iowa is too good and Garza isn't going out like a bitch.

Reaction score
Last thing for the night. If defensive 3P% truly is based largely on luck, it would be cool if that would start to even out.

They rank 65th in 2FG% defense, best at Iowa since 2015 and 2nd best in the Fran era. Their rate of putting teams on the line is the best since 2016 and ranks 24th nationally. Turnover rate and DReb aren't good but not the real problem.

The biggest problem is teams are shooting 36% from 3 against us this year after being 32% the last two years. 38% in Big Ten games. The last two years were 33% and 34%. The rate at which we allow teams to shoot 3's is almost exactly the same. I don't think this 3P defense is substantially worse than the last couple years so hopefully there's some good fortune coming.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Last thing for the night. If defensive 3P% truly is based largely on luck, it would be cool if that would start to even out.

They rank 65th in 2FG% defense, best at Iowa since 2015 and 2nd best in the Fran era. Their rate of putting teams on the line is the best since 2016 and ranks 24th nationally. Turnover rate and DReb aren't good but not the real problem.

The biggest problem is teams are shooting 36% from 3 against us this year after being 32% the last two years. 38% in Big Ten games. The last two years were 33% and 34%. The rate at which we allow teams to shoot 3's is almost exactly the same. I don't think this 3P defense is substantially worse than the last couple years so hopefully there's some good fortune coming.
I’m not going to look this up but seems teams are taking even more 3s against us this season than years last but still hitting at the same rate.

I fucking hate our zone.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Fuck COVID-19.
Well actually....there was a blizzard yesterday. Wouldn’t have been a very big crowd.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
From the MSU game thread. Maybe the answer is #1 for Weiskamp and Connor, and #3 for bohannon.

The situations where physical limitations are the problem are understandable. See Suggs v. bohannon as Exhibit A.

The failures to adhere to basic defensive principles have three possible causes.

1. The players aren’t bright enough to understand what they are supposed to do.

2. The players aren’t taught what they are supposed to do.

3. The players DGAF.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Not even mad. The only F-bomb I dropped was on the 4th (or 5th, or 20th straight made 3 by OSU at the end). It was a fun game and Ohio State was the better team last night.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Dunno but I thought Iowa’s last sequence on O was F bomb worthy. My daughter dropped a few WTFs as well.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I didn’t think it possible before the season that Fran would get this little out of this team.
I appreciate getting us out of the basement but now we are in constant purgatory it seems.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I’m not going to look this up but seems teams are taking even more 3s against us this season than years last but still hitting at the same rate.

I fucking hate our zone.
I fucking hate how many times a game 2-3 guys look at each other like, “I thought you were supposed to be there!” When in the zone.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I fucking hate how many times a game 2-3 guys look at each other like, “I thought you were supposed to be there!” When in the zone.
There was a possession in the first half where the wing (Murray, I think) and the top man (bohannon both guarded the ball for 3 seconds arguing over who should be there.

First off, if your zone leads to two people on the ball countless times a game, there’s a problem.

Secondly, if you’re where you know you should be and your dumbfuck teammate isn’t, you literally shove their ass to the right spot. You don’t engage in debate over it in a live ball situation.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

It all runs together on defense. The turnover rate is 17% which is in the 250 range. Allowing about 32% Offensive rebounds. Again around 250. And then the three point shooting allowed is also around 250. While three point shooting can be random, I’d bet there is a correlation between offensive rebounds allowed and three point percentage. That stretch we got the d up into the 60s gives me a little hope they can turn it around, but the last four games have been the worst stretch since 2018 (242 at KenPom that year).

It’s mind blowing a group can be so good on one end and so bad on the other. You’d think guys good enough to have an offense that good could also play some passable defense.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
somebody else nailed it. if a younger player commits a turnover, its bench time. starters can make the same mistakes time after time on D..nbd.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There was a possession in the first half where the wing (Murray, I think) and the top man (bohannon both guarded the ball for 3 seconds arguing over who should be there.

First off, if your zone leads to two people on the ball countless times a game, there’s a problem.

Secondly, if you’re where you know you should be and your dumbfuck teammate isn’t, you literally shove their ass to the right spot. You don’t engage in debate over it in a live ball situation.
KuzmashovingLebron.gif

Reaction score

I fucking hate our zone.
I'm not sure why you quoted my post with that when I gave you those numbers in that post.

2019 teams took 41.2% of their shots from 3, 2020 it was 40%, this year it's 40.4%.
2019 they made 32.4%, 2020 it was 32.1%, this year it's this year it's 36.1%.

In conference play makes have gone from 33.9% to 32.8% last year to 37.5% this year. Percentage of attempts has gone up slightly from 42% to 45%. Obviously the defense has been bad but the frequency has been the same, I would guess the quality of shots are about the same so hopefully we're due for some regression there.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Historically when you have a team that defends poorly, rebounds poorly and shoots FTs poorly, that team is a bunch of cuck asshole fucksticks.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
It’s not really a fran fade as people like to say (as proven by Mikey that it’s fake) It’s that everyone adjusts to Iowa and gels within their own team by this point and Iowa can’t play fucking defense. This will not change.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Iowa is exactly the same in Feb-March as they were Nov-Dec. Almost every year.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
How can a team of unathletic whites suck so bad at shooting free throws? This part pisses me off more than anything.
It’s all in their heads at this point. Garza and Wieskamp are elite shooters and just look uncomfortable at the line

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
They are playing like a bunch of 'gots and I wish they would stop

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It’s all in their heads at this point. Garza and Wieskamp are elite shooters and just look uncomfortable at the line
I said it a couple of weeks ago, but Wieskamp’s free throws look flatter. Maybe that’s not the case, but it seems that way to me based on how I remember prior years.

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
The reality is without Fredrick healthy, they are a Top 15 level team.

It's not like they have a truly bad loss. Indiana at home is close, but even they were ranked #22 after that game.

The trouble is they don't have any easy games the rest of the year except maybe Penn State at home.

@Indiana
Rutgers
@Michigan State
@Wisconsin
Penn State
@Ohio State
@Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebrantska??

One last pussy ass excuse making observation.... tonight is likely where not having a roaring crowd at home makes a huge difference. If that game between #7 and #8 is nationally televised with the ESPN A-Team on site and 15,500+ fans going apeshit, I'm guessing suddenly they might give more of a fuck and be locked in on defense. It also might have been a bit harder for Ohio State to hit like 5 threes in a row with the crowd going crazy.
I was thinking this as I was watching the game. I hate it being so quiet.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I want to convince myself it’ll all be fine when CJ is back healthy but they’ve basically been getting his production and then some from Nunge.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Connor played 27 minutes and had zero defensive rebounds? Hard to do

Last edited:

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
It feels like there is also a chemistry that’s lacking this year that wasn’t last year. It’s always tough to lose a starter but these losses aren’t on CJ being out.

it seems like a few on the team drank the kool aid early in the year and don’t know how to dig out of that. Others look somewhat resentful about it.

JBO looks like he couldnt care less most game’s and maybe that’s grating on the rest of the team?

CamelTones

Reaction score
It feels like there is also a chemistry that’s lacking this year that wasn’t last year. It’s always tough to lose a starter but these losses aren’t on CJ being out.

it seems like a few on the team drank the kool aid early in the year and don’t know how to dig out of that. Others look somewhat resentful about it.

JBO looks like he couldnt care less most game’s and maybe that’s grating on the rest of the team?
Last years team won their home games then mostly got crushed on the road. But they also knew that the offense went through Garza every possession. They still were bad defensively.

Next year the team will still be top 20 in offense but waaaaaay better on defense.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Probably a reach, but I would guess that combining pathetic defense and piss poor effort with attention whoring on social media probably doesn’t sit real well.
I don't think it's a reach. Listen to a recent episode of Bohannons podcast. The guy is more concerned with NIL and getting money from playing for Iowa than he is any bad performance. He admits that water will find it's level and they'll win some games and lose some games.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I don't think it's a reach. Listen to a recent episode of Bohannons podcast. The guy is more concerned with NIL and getting money from playing for Iowa than he is any bad performance. He admits that water will find it's level and they'll win some games and lose some games.
The effort in the defensive end points to an obvious character flaw.

shoot-the-three

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Need Woodbury at the back of the zone yelling at these dipshits and telling them where to be. Unfortunately if the guys on the team don't take pride in playing defense Iowa won't have a decent defensive team. If you don't demand that kids play good fundamental defense all the time they usually won't. Fran is a good offensive coach but he clearly doesn't care about defense the way most coaches do.