Buffett
L Wade
Coff
Me

Self centered whiners, one and all.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
This is straight bullshit. Sure, I let my guy blow by me, but only to set up picking his pocket and running out.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you quoted my post with that when I gave you those numbers in that post.

2019 teams took 41.2% of their shots from 3, 2020 it was 40%, this year it's 40.4%.
2019 they made 32.4%, 2020 it was 32.1%, this year it's this year it's 36.1%.

In conference play makes have gone from 33.9% to 32.8% last year to 37.5% this year. Percentage of attempts has gone up slightly from 42% to 45%. Obviously the defense has been bad but the frequency has been the same, I would guess the quality of shots are about the same so hopefully we're due for some regression there.
I was overserved and annoyed. I don’t think I even meant to quote your post.

I do appreciate the extra info though so glad I did

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Just watched 9 minutes of highlights and focused entirely on the defense on the guy taking the shot for Ohio State. Connor is terrible. The moment his guy passes the ball he backs off 3 or 4 feet. 3 time Ohio State just threw the ball back to the guy he was guarding within 1 second and the guy made an uncontested 3. Connor then shrugs his shoulders.

The play where Ohio State cut it from 7 to 4. Nunge was more concerned with standing in the corner on defense then he was leaving a guy wide open for 3.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Just watched 9 minutes of highlights and focused entirely on the defense on the guy taking the shot for Ohio State. Connor is terrible. The moment his guy passes the ball he backs off 3 or 4 feet. 3 time Ohio State just threw the ball back to the guy he was guarding within 1 second and the guy made an uncontested 3. Connor then shrugs his shoulders.

The play where Ohio State cut it from 7 to 4. Nunge was more concerned with standing in the corner on defense then he was leaving a guy wide open for 3.
this is why I subscribe to Halo+

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I want to convince myself it’ll all be fine when CJ is back healthy but they’ve basically been getting his production and then some from Nunge.
Sure, if you only look at it from an offensive perspective. Even then I'll argue that CJ provides better spacing and is a much better passer that makes Luka's life easier. It's defensively where a healthy CJ really makes a difference.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
There was a play late in the game where garza blocked out on defence under the basket and just froze there for three seconds while another guy grabbed the offensive rebound. Very confusing and unlike him.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
There was a play late in the game where garza blocked out on defence under the basket and just froze there for three seconds while another guy grabbed the offensive rebound. Very confusing and unlike him.
There were way too many moments like that. Jack trying to play point center then tripping over his own feet, JoeT dribbling right to a posted up Luka to where he could literally hand him the ball, then just dribbling away, JoeW not dunking on a fast break, and multiple quick shots without even trying to get it to Luka.

For a pretty smart club, these guys coached and played really dumb last night.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I want you guys to all think back three years and what it would have taken for me to hate Connor.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I said this during chat, but someone should convince Jordan that stops on defensive are worth 1,000 likes on Twitter.
I should cross post to the haloisms in real life thread, because that’s happening.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Here is all I know, this team was fucking smashing teams ever since the Gonzaga game with the lone exception of a fluke on the road in the last minute against Minnesota right up until the 2nd half of the Indiana game.

Won a tough game at Rutgers who was playing really well at the time, beat down Northwestern twice, skullfucked Maryland on the road, revenge against Minnesota at home by 15.

Then they lost CJ Fredrick at the half of the Indiana game where they were up 6 and held Indiana to 31 points. They got up 9 and then couldn't score and the final got inflated.

Since then they have been pretty much fucked. The defense has been one of the very worst in the country after being like a Top 25 defense during that 5 game stretch.

I don't know the exact reason why, but it traces right back to when CJ went out. I'm guessing it has fucked up their spacing, rotations, substitutions, and taken out maybe the best shooter in the country and a decent man defender and guy who can get his own shot.

Right around that same point Connor has become truly worthless and teams have been able to focus on bohannon more.
Yada, Yada, Yada. Like usual, you fill up a lot of space and never post anything of substance or merit.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
The reality is without Fredrick healthy, they are a Top 15 level team.

It's not like they have a truly bad loss. Indiana at home is close, but even they were ranked #22 after that game.

The trouble is they don't have any easy games the rest of the year except maybe Penn State at home.

@Indiana
Rutgers
@Michigan State
@Wisconsin
Penn State
@Ohio State
@Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebrantska??

One last pussy ass excuse making observation.... tonight is likely where not having a roaring crowd at home makes a huge difference. If that game between #7 and #8 is nationally televised with the ESPN A-Team on site and 15,500+ fans going apeshit, I'm guessing suddenly they might give more of a fuck and be locked in on defense. It also might have been a bit harder for Ohio State to hit like 5 threes in a row with the crowd going crazy.

Solid analysis there. Have your sock puppet repeat it for emphasis.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Man talk about glass houses and the like

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I don't think it's a reach. Listen to a recent episode of Bohannons podcast. The guy is more concerned with NIL and getting money from playing for Iowa than he is any bad performance. He admits that water will find it's level and they'll win some games and lose some games.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Good article on the Hawks defense:

It's time for Iowa to give up firepower in exchange for prideful defenders (247sports.com)

Looks like Fran was doing this in the second half of the MSU game, but not as much against Ohio St. The problem is that we have players, in particular Wieskamp and JBo, who seem to take possessions off from time to time. That's how you lose an 11 point lead. There has to be an emphasis on more focus and intensity on defense. Of course, some folks have said this all along.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Another good read:

A No. 134 defense won't let Iowa men's basketball grab brass rings | The Gazette

A troubling but, unfortunately, accurate viewpoint:

On their podcast for ESPN, former Division I head coaches Dan Dakich and Seth Greenberg weren’t big on the Hawkeyes even before Thursday’s loss. On Tuesday they talked about the Hawkeyes’ defeats at home to Indiana Jan. 21 and at Illinois Jan. 29.

“When Iowa’s been in those tough games I haven’t seen them make those tough plays,” Greenberg said.

“I think Iowa has the toughest dude (Luka Garza),” Dakich said, “but … the Big Ten is more about psychology than anything else.

“(The Indiana loss) was no surprise to me. I didn’t know it would be Indiana, but it would be somebody that came into Iowa City and beat Iowa. They quit in that game. Then they followed up in a tough grinder … against Illinois, and Illinois out-toughed them. I don’t buy Iowa.”

Unfortunately, that seems to be true with respect to some of the starting players.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Good article on the Hawks defense:

It's time for Iowa to give up firepower in exchange for prideful defenders (247sports.com)

Looks like Fran was doing this in the second half of the MSU game, but not as much against Ohio St. The problem is that we have players, in particular Wieskamp and JBo, who seem to take possessions off from time to time. That's how you lose an 11 point lead. There has to be an emphasis on more focus and intensity on defense. Of course, some folks have said this all along.
Jordan is unathletic on top of not giving a shit. But when guys like Joe W or CJ take plays off, its maddening. They're not the fastest guys in the world, but they're more than athletic enough to play at least passable defense.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Jordan is unathletic on top of not giving a shit. But when guys like Joe W or CJ take plays off, its maddening. They're not the fastest guys in the world, but they're more than athletic enough to play at least passable defense.
That's the problem, isn't it? I just don't get it. Look, players at this level are too good to shut down, but if they all play with the necessary intensity, you get enough stops to win games like OSU, Indiana and Minn.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
That's the problem, isn't it? I just don't get it. Look, players at this level are too good to shut down, but if they all play with the necessary intensity, you get enough stops to win games like OSU, Indiana and Minn.
That Connor doesn’t, and doesn’t will the others to like 10% more than they do drives me crazy. I LOVED him doing shit and almost fighting in years past. Have seen none of that this year. I want him, Jbo, and JoeW to be absolutely hateable guys, and they’re all so fucking soft.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I said it last night but I’ll say it again. Wieskamp should be embarrassed and ashamed that Fran had to take him off the floor when they needed to play defense in the last minute. There is no reason for him to not be an above average defender.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Just imagine this team without Luka.
Some of you might not believe this but they'd suck bad.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Do they have a leadership problem next year? Who steps up and fills that void?

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Upper middle class whites don't play with much of an edge. Besides Luka. Poor Luka.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

TYFYS

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I personally think it's a retarded opinion
Agreed but not as retarded as your Tim Miles takes.

Tim Miles and SJSU with a probable knockout game for Steve's Wolfpack today.

Miles is undermanned but he's a very good mid-major coach. Hyper and feisty
9-16 in the Mountain West this year. Not quite as feisty as he needs to be.