**Purdue vs Iowa Basketball, 2-9-23, 6:00PM ESPN2**

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Everyone is broke. What can you do

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Purdue coming off a loss to an in state rival plus a BBK win prediction was a guarantee for a butt fucking by the boilers

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Triple team Edey every time he touches the ball and give the rest of his teammates great open looks behind the arc.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

And surprise, surprise. Purdue hitting a really good percentage of those looks and Iowa down big.

Great gameplan, Fran.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Iowa ain’t gonna win a game where fouls aren’t called.

Reactions: BBK
Reaction score
I think Patrick played with more toughness and energy than Kris tonight. Gotdamn, he was so aloof defensively, with box outs and on the glass.

About what I expected overall.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Took too many long 2s in the first half. Perkins was getting to the same spot he got against Illinois but seemed way too worried about Edey blocking it even though he wasn’t close to him.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Triple team Edey every time he touches the ball and give the rest of his teammates great open looks behind the arc.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

And surprise, surprise. Purdue hitting a really good percentage of those looks and Iowa down big.

Great gameplan, Fran.

Just don't get hurt out there tonight, boys.

I'm not entirely sure I disagree with that philosophy on a Thursday in February on the road in West Lafayette.

Mitchandrsn

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Connor was obviously broke tonight from deep (I think three air balls?) but he had some nice passes with nearly 10 assists. Just hope he keeps shooting cause we need him to at least pose some type of threat from deep to help with spacing, etc

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I think Patrick played with more toughness and energy than Kris tonight. Gotdamn, he was so aloof defensively, with box outs and on the glass.

About what I expected overall.
Kris had 2 rebounds. Ia was -20 on rebounds

CamelTones

Reaction score
Sucked that they let Purdue extend the lead from around 10 up to 17 the last 2 minutes of the first half.

Reaction score
Kris had 2 rebounds. Ia was -20 on rebounds
Yeah you expect that to an extent, I think they’re the best rebounding team in the country. It’s one thing when Edey just plays volleyball over top of you but Kris had some egregious mistakes. Ball watching, half ass box outs, not really fighting.

I thought Tony reverted back on that end when he couldn’t get anything going offensively.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Purdue turned the ball over 17 times and STILL scored 87. Iowas defense was miserable

Purdue shot 55%, their guards wiped their asses with our guards. constantly driving past every one of them

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
They are just really good

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
They are the clear #1 team in the country. Big shock they made multiple of our guys look bad on their home floor.
They played hard and kept battling. Many teams wouldn't have, including some previous Iowa teams

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
They are the clear #1 team in the country. Big shock they made multiple of our guys look bad on their home floor.
They played hard and kept battling. Many teams wouldn't have, including some previous Iowa teams
I mean they are good but they also look like the classic Purdue team that won’t go far in the tournament

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I'll give Brayden credit he is a better, more athletic player than I thought coming in. The rest of their team minus Edey isn't all that impressive. Ulis and Perkins don't have great offensive skillsets to play against Edey.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Purdue turned the ball over 17 times and STILL scored 87. Iowas defense was miserable

Purdue shot 55%, their guards wiped their asses with our guards. constantly driving past every one of them
Some of that was the way Iowa was pressuring them which resulted in wide open looks because Iowa was trying to speed them up

The defense on Smith was kinda depressing though.

Reaction score
On3 and 247 have Harding 50-80 spots higher than Smith as a recruit. Would be pretty sweet if he’s 80% of his level as a freshman.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They aren’t the clear #1 team in country. The Big Ten has a lot of parity this year but is down at the top. Take a look at their conference schedule as well. Don’t go to Iowa, Illinois, or Rutgers. Played both Minnesota and Nebrantska twice already. They will be in trouble in March if Edey gets in foul trouble which he has avoided so far this year.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I mean they are good but they also look like the classic Purdue team that won’t go far in the tournament
Yep, they still can’t handle a press. There are lots of teams that will give them fits if refs are swallowing whistles like last year’s tourney.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I hope our guards are embarrassed by that defensive showing

I didn’t watch much of the second half but I thought jelly looked serviceable in the 1st half

Reaction score
Wish we they could get a shot at Purdue in carver, sucks no second game

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Patrick with 5 steals and two blocks. He’s a real stat stuffer.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
They aren’t the clear #1 team in country. The Big Ten has a lot of parity this year but is down at the top. Take a look at their conference schedule as well. Don’t go to Iowa, Illinois, or Rutgers. Played both Minnesota and Nebrantska twice already. They will be in trouble in March if Edey gets in foul trouble which he has avoided so far this year.
Edey doesn’t have to foul. He’s a real life monster out there.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Conner needs to shoot well next game. Those air balls looked to be getting in his head. Hopefully that doesn't lead to an extended slump after being so confident most of the year.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Purdue is good and credit to them for getting boards and hitting shots. That said, unlike Greenberg I don’t see them making the Final Four. Our mediocre press gave them a ton of trouble and that doesn’t bode well once they face the same thing from more athletic squads. The Big Ten national title drought will almost certainly live on.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Took too many long 2s in the first half. Perkins was getting to the same spot he got against Illinois but seemed way too worried about Edey blocking it even though he wasn’t close to him.
Everybody was intimidated by Edey, with some justification. The way to attack him is to take it right to him on the drive and make contact with him to take away his jump. Perkins did it a couple of times. Look, we decided in the first half to double and triple team him and hope the others didn't make shots. They did and we were 1-11 from 3 in the first half. I don't know if it was a horrible plan, it just didn't work

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Everybody was intimidated by Edey, with some justification. The way to attack him is to take it right to him on the drive and make contact with him to take away his jump.
Yeah that worked really well when they got their shit blocked into the third row

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
The way to attack Edey is to have a more conducive roster for doing so and playing Purdue at your home court. No reason to get down about that game. Sure, it sucked to watch, but they are better than we are and they have a great home court advantage.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Stick a thumb in his butt and insult his mother.

Reaction score
I don't think Purdue is all that great, they have some weaknesses but they're also a bad matchup for us. We just don't have the skilled length in depth to deal with Edey, plus they shot well early on. I think we're getting about as much out of this team as we can hope for.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
@BBK is right, they were better last year with Ivey and Williams. Edey is way better this year tho. Changed a ton of shots and was the main reason for our 20 pt first half.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Iowa is a lot worse than last year, as well. Obviously.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Yeah that worked really well when they got their shit blocked into the third row
They got blocked when they tried to fade away or shoot over him, not when they got into his body,.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I don't think Purdue is all that great, they have some weaknesses but they're also a bad matchup for us. We just don't have the skilled length in depth to deal with Edey, plus they shot well early on. I think we're getting about as much out of this team as we can hope for.
Without Edey, they are an average Big 10 team.

Reaction score
@BBK is right, they were better last year with Ivey and Williams. Edey is way better this year tho. Changed a ton of shots and was the main reason for our 20 pt first half.
Talent wise they were better last year but they play as a unit better this year. They underachieved last year and the pieces didn’t really fit. Their defense is much better this year. Edey only played 19 mpg last year. He’s 31.4 this year and better.

Their offense ranks basically the same this year but their defense went from 93rd overall, 9th in the Big Ten to 21st overall and 4th in the Big Ten.

Last edited:

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
If we meet Purdue again this year I hope Fran doesn’t game plan so aggressively to stop Eddy. With what our offense is capable of on an average to good night I’d rather take my chances on sending an occasional double team and letting Edey get 40. Their guards are too good of shooters to allow uncontested shots.