**SAVE DOLPH** *Pitt vs. Iowa - 11/27/18 - 8:00 pm - ESPNU**

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I heard that at the time, and that's how I remember it happening, too.
I found this from Geese from 12/5/16:

Remember that time Fran got pissed because he accidentally grabbed Dolph's water bottle and it must have been full of vodka?? I feel like he's going to be doing that on purpose by the end of the season.
There are some other posts from 2015 about Fran throwing a water bottle into the trash, but unclear whether anyone thought it was full of vodka at the time.
@Dr. Zaius insists we all made up the same story.
No I’m just saying it’s fake news

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I feel GD should go. He doesn't get along with 1/2 of our major sports coaches, and is bad at his announcing job.

Why are people defending him again, a aside from the media people who are his friends?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I feel GD should go. He doesn't get along with 1/2 of our major sports coaches, and is bad at his announcing job.

Why are people defending him again, a aside from the media people who are his friends?
Because he essentially said what we've all been thinking for the last several years about Fran and his recruiting.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

Because he essentially said what we've all been thinking for the last several years about Fran and his recruiting.
And it's not his job to say it. @HerkyHopeful saying it on hawkeyelounge.com and Gary Dolphin saying it on a Hawkeye Sports broadcast, while sitting courtside, at work, are not the same thing.

Reaction score

Except dumber. His take was poor by the standards of the HR free board.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
What if last night never happened, but instead Iowa announced that due to fan feedback they were making a change in the announcing team?

Would people still be defending Dolph, or would we all think that it made sense and was probably 15 years too late?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
What if last night never happened, but instead Iowa announced that due to fan feedback they were making a change in the announcing team?

Would people still be defending Dolph, or would we all think that it made sense and was probably 15 years too late?
Czech ya Pms

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Just an FYI, gang. Iowa games are almost all on television or take place in a location you can see them in person. The only reason you should be listening on the radio is if you're in your car because your wife made you run to the store or your kid had soccer practice.
Which sucks when on your 5 minute trip you can’t get a gottdamn score.
which is why I would just as well use my CBS Sports app to get the info I need when on the move.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

Czech ya Pms
I don't have any

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Reaction score
The affection for Dolph reminds me of the love for the incumbent politians in this state: Grassley, Harkin, Branstad, etc. They all suck ass but we just deal with mediocrity year after year because they have been around since the stone age.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Just plopped right into this thread.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t really give a shit if the fucking voice of the Hawkeyes is
mediocre

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
People aren't defending him as much as they're pissed at how retarded Barta is at handling these situations

Reaction score
Whomever(???) said that the person they hire to replace Dolph will suck worse is spot on. Be careful what you wish for.

At least Dolph has some personality. I'm deathly afraid they will hire that fake big voice guy who did a couple games last year.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Boy, it is really something to have the expectations of an Iowan.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Whomever(???) said that the person they hire to replace Dolph will suck worse is spot on. Be careful what you wish for.

At least Dolph has some personality. I'm deathly afraid they will hire that fake big voice guy who did a couple games last year.
This is the same mentality that was just outlined above. Too scary to try new things. Ho hum, we’re Iowans and everything we have is adequate.

Last edited:

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

And it's not his job to say it. @HerkyHopeful saying it on hawkeyelounge.com and Gary Dolphin saying it on a Hawkeye Sports broadcast, while sitting courtside, at work, are not the same thing.
I didn't say it's his job. You asked why some defend him, I gave the reason why.

This entire situation is a cluster. No one wins. Some people hate Dolph for saying what he did (and overall job performance) and love Fran for sticking up for his guys. Some hate Fran for always having a stick up his ass and overreacting with Gary but love Dolph for his personality and role of Iowa athletics for over 20 years. Some love both. Some hate both. Everyone hates Barta for being a neanderthal who has once again mismanaged a situation. But the argument for who is right and who is wrong in this situation has no definitive end. And it's sad because it takes away from what the team has done so far

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
Dolph was wrong. That’s very clear and indisputable. It’s the only thing we know to be 100% true when assigning blame.

Barta and Fran both have possible fact scenarios that eliminate most if not all blame.

Reaction score
Who’s doing the two games that Dolphin is suspended for? Maybe they let a couple of guys get a live tryout.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
I’d be willing to give Pemsl a shot at it. Two birds. He’d probably pass though.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Yes I am regional manager of this orifice