What was Jack Campbell thinking on the INT TD?

Why was Jack Campbell running weird, or was he?

• "Why are they not tackling me? Im begging them to."

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I have blood on my taint

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
@Herky823, wake that cracka
He's resting quietly in his Emilia Embroidered Organic Percale Sheet Set he got along with his wife at a lovely trip to Pottery Barn last weekend while they shopped Saturday morning, cup of Starbucks in hand.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Until his answer cometh, my hope is that Mrs Mikey lay a nice lily pad on his side of the bed.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
He’ll see it. He was up late last night at a Tavern Illini event. If he’s said it once he’s said it a thousand times. “Iowan by birth, Illini by the grace of god.”
I'm seeing red

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
@MikeyJoe, I know we ain't always seen eye to eye. We have history. But we've grown to accept our differences and be the peace.

However, amigo, if you won't retract that like and get off the humble let's not score a TD when a mfer is given a got damn gift BULLSHIT, I tell you what, war may be declared again.

Your choice, hermano. Retract your ridiculousness and unite the clans, or face the utmost and just tyranny

View attachment 35956
Extremely limited scenarios. I'm talking about the Brian Westbrook thing. You're already up, and the combination of time on the clock + lack of opponent time outs means you can literally knee out the game. Ivan's "100% always better to score a TD" isn't right, but in a very limited "well actually" kind of way.

I agree that trying to avoid "scoring too fast" like in the Minnesota game thread you bumped is always stupid. Run the plays that make you the most likely to score and don't get cute with the clock.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Extremely limited scenarios. I'm talking about the Brian Westbrook thing. You're already up, and the combination of time on the clock + lack of opponent time outs means you can literally knee out the game. Ivan's "100% always better to score a TD" isn't right, but in a very limited "well actually" kind of way.

I agree that trying to avoid "scoring too fast" like in the Minnesota game thread you bumped is always stupid. Run the plays that make you the most likely to score and don't get cute with the clock.
But what if the opposing QB is Dylan Peters or Tanner Morgan and not Tom fucking Brady?

Doesn't that change things a bit?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
But what if the opposing QB is Dylan Peters or Tanner Morgan and not Tom fucking Brady?

Doesn't that change things a bit?
No. I'm talking about only specifically scenarios where you can kneel out a victory. In those situations, it specifically doesn't matter who the opposing QB is.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
No. I'm talking about only specifically scenarios where you can kneel out a victory. In those situations, it specifically doesn't matter who the opposing QB is.
Right, but what about those situations where kirk does what he does, basically kneeling or actually kneeling, but not completely running out the clock? Choosing to do that rather than scoring a TD

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Right, but what about those situations where kirk does what he does, basically kneeling or actually kneeling, but not completely running out the clock? Choosing to do that rather than scoring a TD
We're on the same page hermano.
Yeah, I understand the whole Brian Westbrook take a knee thing where you can win the game by running the clock out. But crucially, Iowa couldn't do that here. So the value of burning the clock and still being only up less than a touchdown was substantially less than the value of the two score lead there.

PFF has a win probability calculator (which I assume is based on NFL PBP data, but will be close enough for this). Iowa gave the ball back to MN down 5 with 40 seconds left. Iowa's win probability in that circumstance was 85%. But let's say they had tried to score, and had done so with a successful play immediately on getting the ball, so Minnesota had something like 1:50 to work with. With a 9 point lead and 1:50 left, Iowa's win probability would have been >95% - which means in relative terms, they tripled Minnesota's odds of coming back and winning there.

Running out the clock was just nowhere near as valuable of a goal as scoring the points should have been.
It's not that time has no value, but generally speaking Kirk seems to dramatically overvalue time vs. points.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
All of these things are on the margins. Like if you have 3rd and 11 with 35 seconds left, yeah run the ball so they have to use their last timeout or the clock runs out.

But when Kirk runs the ball on 3rd and 11 with 2:30 left to run 30 more seconds off the clock vs. actually trying to pick up the first down, I want to put my face through the TV.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Ok we are no longer fighting.

That is unless you were truly at an Illini fan club meeting last night

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Ok we are no longer fighting.

That is unless you were truly at an Illini fan club meeting last night
If he was it was because he had some more stupid ass cousins he has yet to mention that made him go.