What's the closest comparison to Joe W's decline?

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
To go WAY back, Kevin Boyle had an outstanding freshman year but not so much as a sophomore and beyond. It takes a while for opponents to figure out how to handle newcomers. I'm not sure how much of Joe's decline has been opponents figuring him out and how much is just Joe being in a self-induced funk.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Boyle or Michael Payne could be comparisons if it continued to trend that way. But I think comparing a 6 game slump to Kevin Boyle’s last three years is a bit premature. Christ, by the time his senior year rolled around, he shot free throws like Shaq after leading the Big 10 his first couple years.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
As I remember, neither Boyle or Payne had a mid season decline. They just peaked early. Joe’s is more of falling off a cliff that no one saw.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
He is only 30 days removed from arguably his best collegiate game.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m in the minority but I thought he showed some signs yesterday. Didn’t seem hesitant to shoot and had a couple aggressive takes to the rim. He hid in the corner a few times but he’s also playing a ton of minutes.

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I just absolutely love that most of the hate directed at Joe W just because ol dougie fresh knows the family. If there wasn't that connection, this site wouldn't be so over the top with it. Keep it up boyz.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
I just absolutely love that most of the hate directed at Joe W just because ol dougie fresh knows the family. If there wasn't that connection, this site wouldn't be so over the top with it. Keep it up boyz.
The fuck are you talking about? Half the board knows the family.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Wieskamp's points and rebounds per game are up this year. Yes, I understand that's because he's playing and shooting more, and that his shooting averages are down, but they're down from really good to decent. Let's maybe calm down just a little bit.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If anything, I think it's the other way around. If Uthoff was ever half as big of a pussy as Joe, we would have driven to Iowa City and whipped his ass ourselves.

We all love Joe, we just hate the way he chooses to be.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Everyone said the same shit about Uthoff until the second half of his junior year.

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The fuck are you talking about? Half the board knows the family.
So you really think that if dougie hadn't talked about knowing them growing up and all that this board would still have the same hatred and vitriol towards him? Might be time to take another extended break there, Jim.
I know the Weiskamps too and if you fuckers don't knock it off I'm gonna tell Steve and then he's gonna tell Brett and Doug won't get to shoot hoops at the Muscatine YMCA for free anymore!

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
So you really think that if dougie hadn't talked about knowing them growing up and all that this board would still have the same hatred and vitriol towards him? Might be time to take another extended break there, Jim.
I know the Weiskamps too and if you fuckers don't knock it off I'm gonna tell Steve and then he's gonna tell Brett and Doug won't get to shoot hoops at the Muscatine YMCA for free anymore!
Yes, now take your racist dipshit ass back to Pete’s Tap.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This is all AZMessDADAWG!!!'s fault.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Do I think that if Doug didn't know the Wieskamps a bunch of Iowa fans would be mad at a talented player who has been playing poorly the last few weeks? Uh, yeah.

I guess my evidence for this would be literally every other social media Iowa fan group and every other poorly performing Iowa player since the advent of message boards.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Welcome back BigTuna/Whiteaspaper!

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Do I think that if Doug didn't know the Wieskamps a bunch of Iowa fans would be mad at a talented player who has been playing poorly the last few weeks? Uh, yeah.

I guess my evidence for this would be literally every other social media Iowa fan group and every other poorly performing Iowa player since the advent of message boards.
Lol. Nope. According to Dumbfuck Charles, it’s all because of our mutual hatred of Doug.

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I'm talkin this board, dork.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Charles William Terpenning III

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
You can use.my.guest pass @douglasbader

Reaction score
Clearly, she emasculated Joe by persuading him to wear the pink shoes. Change the shoes: PROBLEM SOLVED!
Doug claims that Joe bought the matching pink shoes for them both on Valentine's Day when he declared his love to his sweetie.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Wieskamp's points and rebounds per game are up this year. Yes, I understand that's because he's playing and shooting more, and that his shooting averages are down, but they're down from really good to decent. Let's maybe calm down just a little bit.
It’s not the year over year that’s the problem.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
Joe has a nice post game. They should feed him in the post 4-5 times/game-could help his confidence.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Kevin Boyle's regression dwarf Joe's current struggles, not even the same ballpark. Boyle's problems were many......sniff sniff sniff sniff......to go from 1st team FR All-American to airballing multiple free throws as a SR.

Here's a bit of trivia about ole Kev. Several ex Hawks and other former collegiates had a daily game at West High one fall. Group booted and lost key when the long distance phone bill arrived and it turned out Kevin had spent hours on the office phone with his bookie in Chicago.

I see Joe's current struggles as mostly growing pains, bit of a soph slump. While he won't be remembered for his toughness, the lack is overstated on here imo. He's a willing and capable defender on the best wings in the douche for starters, that takes a certain amount right there. It's hard when they d you up like that, Joe's learning.

Joe's not a top tier all time great, but heading for Matt Gatens level. Actually the guy he most reminds me of is Bobby Hanson.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
was trying to look for statistical evidence that would back up a comparison to a guy who struggled when he got more minutes his soph year, and came across this gem. top 100 recruit and parade all-american brian garner.

when they were freshmen, lorenzen and rucker were as good as they ever got.

Attachments

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
This team needed a whipping boy. Pemsl just wasn't delivering. Peak Hawkeye fan in this thread.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Joe is best suited, at this point in his career, as a 3rd or 4th option. He may get to the point where he’s comfortable with being a 2nd or even a 1st option but he’s not there yet. Get stronger, Joe!

Reaction score
Joe has a nice post game. They should feed him in the post 4-5 times/game-could help his confidence.
He's been terrible finishing inside the last several games. They've tried posting him a few times per game at least. He has struggled to seal a smaller defender and hold any position.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Joe's not a top tier all time great, but heading for Matt Gatens level. Actually the guy he most reminds me of is Bobby Hanson.
Perhaps in his style of play, but Bobby was never the type to be timid as I recall him.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Perhaps in his style of play, but Bobby was never the type to be timid as I recall him.
Did not mean to imply otherwise. If you're the primary defender on Magic Johnson and win playoff games you qualify as one tough hombre.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
Although this place has some historically awful prognostications (Woodbury getting drafted/is a NBA player) nobody truly believes Joe isn’t a good player.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
3rd team all Big Ten

yeah, he sucks

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
No one thinks Joe sucks. In fact, it's just the opposite, which is why everyone is frustrated with his play.
Exactly.

If he can get back to normal production, this team becomes a really tough out.