#2 Iowa vs #7 Oregon • Second Round• 11:10 • CBS

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
"I can get to the rim whenever I want."

lol at that number five asshole from Ankeny there with the arm sleeve. I bet he totally plays better with it and it isn’t just because he watches a lot of Russel Westbrook. What a bitch

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I have to give it to Fran for going with Perkins as much as he did.

If he had any idea that Iowa would eventually play an athletic team, he could've gone to him sooner in the season, so he could've played with someone other than Austin Ash leading up to the NCAA tourney.

There was no way to know our backcourt would be outclassed athletically at some point.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Fran just wants to bring some diversity to college basketball

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I understand the people who say it's unlucky, the tournament is a crapshoot by nature. But Iowa has not had a significant run in decades. That is not luck, that is not just shrug your shoulders that happens in the tournament. That's a program, coach, players, whoever not taking active steps to at least improve their odds. Change your recruiting profile in the backcourt, switch out some assistants, rethink defensive strategies… whatever. Just improve your odds. Like others have said, how does that happen at this point? That's the frustration.
across 4 coaches?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
You have the two time player of the year in college basketball and you've used that recruiting fuel for this:

And this:

View attachment 26796

Two kids who could probably go to school for free based on academics.
I fully support Iowa becoming willing to cheat. Teams aren’t punished. Fucking LSU’s coach was recorded by the FBI about paying a player and not only is he still coaching, he’s got a 5* freshman averaging 20+ ppg.

Meanwhile fran is offering Sheldon and Leonard to run the backcourt for his team.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Once Sandfort gets on campus, it's gonna be huge for recruiting.

"And DeShawn, as you can see, we spend the last 1/2 hour of every practice playing H-O-R-S-E. I'm not gonna lie. It gets pretty heated. You better bring your A-game if you plan on attending here. Have you ever shot a 3 pointer from a chair before? There will be plenty of that, I can assure you. Neither of my kids have ever made it out of the first round, and I'm the coach!"

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
I will say that outside of better teams with better athletes winning their games, offenses that take advantage of back cuts always seem to do REALLY well in the tournament when teams are playing too aggressively or just plain stupid(Iowa). Loyola is really fun to watch and effective as hell. Oregon took advantage of a stupid defense along with just blowing by whenever they wanted.
To add to this, against a good defense (or tough matchup like today) it’s challenging to be aggressive while being patient on O. We were not. Move with purpose. Be strong with the ball. Cut to the rim. Exert your will on the D. I think that mindset helps transition to defensive energy as well. Our bench group was effective mid first half. Not pretty, but got results. I’d love to see the 2nd half If we could have mixed some of that lineup with one at a time of CJ or bohannon.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I fully support Iowa becoming willing to cheat. Teams aren’t punished. Fucking LSU’s coach was recorded by the FBI about paying a player and not only is he still coaching, he’s got a 5* freshman averaging 20+ ppg.

Meanwhile fran is offering Sheldon and Leonard to run the backcourt for his team.

The inability to recruit guards is really disheartening. According to 247, Fran has signed 18 guards at Iowa. Only Gesell was in the top 150. Only Oglesby, Connor and Ulis in the top 200.

Jok and Devyn ended up first team all big ten, but there are a lot of “what the fuck” recruits on that list.

Edit: I missed Wieskamp, thought he was listed as a small forward but they do have him as a shooting guard. So 19 recruits with 2 in the top 150. Still gross

Last edited:

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The inability to recruit guards is really disheartening. According to 247, Fran has signed 18 guards at Iowa. Only Gesell was in the top 150. Only Oglesby, Connor and Ulis in the top 200.

Jok and Devyn ended up first team all big ten, but there are a lot of “what the fuck” recruits on that list.
Thank you. I’m going to go blow my brains out.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to look but a list of teams that have made a Sweet 16 since Iowa's last one would be depressing as fuck. And there are some lesser programs from small conferences that have multiple appearances so it's not just some 'hot hand' bullshit. Loyola comes to mind. Fuck, Southern Illinois has made two sweet 16s since Iowa's last.
Man, when you look at it that way, it is brutal. Good lord.

Since Iowa last made the sweet 16:

Michigan State -12
Wisconsin - 10
Purdue - 6
Michigan - 5
Ohio State - 5
Illinois - 4
Indiana - 4
Maryland - 4
Penn State - 1

You'd think Iowa would luck into 1 in that time. Ugh.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
The Little 10 should go the way of the Ivy.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Is there a little Ryan Luehrsmann out there somewhere?

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Man, when you look at it that way, it is brutal. Good lord.

Since Iowa last made the sweet 16:

Michigan State -12
Wisconsin - 10
Purdue - 6
Michigan - 5
Ohio State - 5
Illinois - 4
Indiana - 4
Maryland - 4
Penn State - 1

You'd think Iowa would luck into 1 in that time. Ugh.
Arkansas just made their first Sweet 16 since 1996. I was shocked to hear that.

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
I’m sad and disappointed. But, in a year that has really sucked in a lot of ways. I got a lot of enjoyment out of watching this team these last few months. And, in particular, Luka Garza.
Iowa basketball was something to look forward to, and while it ended too soon, I really liked this team and these players a lot.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I have to give it to Fran for going with Perkins as much as he did.

If he had any idea that Iowa would eventually play an athletic team, he could've gone to him sooner in the season, so he could've played with someone other than Austin Ash leading up to the NCAA tourney.

There was no way to know our backcourt would be outclassed athletically at some point.
yep. should have gave Touissaint more minutes and lived thru his turnovers. Four year players can make repeated mistakes on defense but if Joltin Joe turns it over a time or two its an instant yank and prolly zero minutes in the second half.

But had he played more and Iowa lost another game or two they woulda finished 4th and missed out on that 3rd place Big ten trophy.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Joe T was not that good this year, and was basically exactly the same player he was last year. LOL at the idea that he was another 5-10 minutes of game time here and there from turning it around.
yeah Mikey players never improve with more minutes and experience. Stick to math formulas.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Joe T needs to develop a 3 point shot. Until that happens he’s nothing more than a spot role player

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

Fuck yes. Cheat more. Start building more daycares

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I can’t remember who first said it, but “He’d be a lot better if coach would play him more” is an argument you make about a 12 year old, not a Big Ten player.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
I really want to like Joe T and root for him to do well. However, I just haven't seen the progress I've been hoping for. He reminds me of Tommy Boy whenever he gets the ball in his hands.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I like Toussaint, he just seems incapable of playing under control for extended minutes.
He’s a good on ball defender and is really quick. Too many fans just think he’s something he’s not.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Maybe Fran knows what he needs to change, and maybe Joe Key, Perkins and Ulis are a step in that direction. They were, after all, underclassmen behind vets on a top ten team so we really won’t know until they get starters minutes.
Just to nit pick and be a dick, we aren’t a top 10 team.
Are you not familiar with win, graduate and do it right?
are those in order of priority ?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I can’t remember who first said it, but “He’d be a lot better if coach would play him more” is an argument you make about a 12 year old, not a Big Ten player.
It’s kinda the same reason I don’t think Petras will ever be anything more than an average QB.