2013 Football Recruiting Thread

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Iowa's recruiting "floor" feels very Indiana-ish.
That seems significantly lower than it should be for a program that has been pretty successful for 30+ years.
It certainly feels that way. I'm not sure how you look at the current situation and conclude much positive about our "floor" other than the current state of the program isn't, at this point, damaging us too badly with the best in state talent.

I don't think there are many real difference makers in 2013 class. At best, it feels very average. Definitely not a foundation for significantly better than .500 campaigns.
Agree
And I think Kirk is okay with that.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Isn't it thought the damage of dogshit seasons (and the benefit of good seasons) from a recruiting perspective is somewhat deferred?
i agree, but while 2010 and 2011 werent "dogshit" they were bad enough based on expectations and "the how" (losing to terrible teams) that they were going to effect recruiting barring a huge 2012.

at least thats what i expected.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Isn't it thought the damage of dogshit seasons (and the benefit of good seasons) from a recruiting perspective is somewhat deferred?
i agree, but while 2010 and 2011 werent "dogshit" they were bad enough based on expectations and "the how" (losing to terrible teams) that they were going to effect recruiting barring a huge 2012.

at least thats what i expected.
Usually it is felt the following recruiting season. Look at the 2009 class, that was a class built during the Shonn Greene year yet Iowa couldn't sign anyone because they were coming off of the 2006 and 2007 seasons. The 2010 and 11 recruiting seasons were much better. My guess is next year will be a struggle in terms of landing top talent from out of state.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Seems we're very fortunate that next year's in state class is, relatively speaking, a really good one. Those guys, and in particular the CF lineman, would seem to be our best hope at convincing out of state talent to sign on to project tigerhawk phoenix.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I think we'll really feel the negative affects of this year's shittiness in the 2014 recruiting class.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Coach Kaz and Nebrantska are following Iowa around like a lap dog the last few weeks. I think this is the third player that they have offered after and Iowa visit that they previously had no interest in.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Coach Kaz and Nebrantska are following Iowa around like a lap dog the last few weeks. I think this is the third player that they have offered after and Iowa visit that they previously had no interest in.
which one? the Ball st kid?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I'm pretty tired of morons on Twitter freaking out because Iowa "lost" a player to teams like UNI and NW Missouri State. These kids are just walk-ons, people.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I'm pretty tired of morons on Twitter freaking out because Iowa "lost" a player to teams like UNI and NW Missouri State. These kids are just walk-ons, people.
pharty commented on iowa losing a "key recruit" to uconn the other day.

im like dude we have 800 WR Commits and another 3 redshirting, stfu and quit trying to start shit

Reaction score
They are at the bottom because they have the second lowest number of commits. They will likely jump Purdue and Indiana when they get a few more guys in the next week. This isn't a terrible class.

You also can't say that 3 star is the baseline for recruits on Rivals. Every Big Ten team has atleast one 2 star guy (OSU has a kicker) committed, except for Iowa. Here's how many each team has:

Iowa - 0
OSU, Mich, Mich St, Neb - 1
NW - 3
Wis, Minn - 4
Ind, PSU - 5
Purdue - 7
Illinois - 9
Fair point although it's odd that some of our 3-stars have offer lists that suggest they were 2-star prospects:

Bazata - Iowa and S. Dakota State
Boettger - Iowa (no other offers)
Shimonek - Iowa and Lamar
Willies - Iowa, ISU, and Illinois directionals
Powell - Iowa and Ohio
It may have nothing to do with the legitimacy of the star ratings, but I'll attempt a defense. (Stinky therapy to boot)

Bazata- Definitely no bling, but he'll be asked to be a 290 pound space eating grunthog. Zero glory, which he seems fine with. Hasn't come on a recruiting visit because he doesn't want to take time away from wrestling. He has 40 pounds on Matt Kroul at the same age and he'll be assigned the same shit job. The only thing that bugs me is that the kid from Ohio seems to be the same type.

Boettger- I think this kid can be a horse. Check out his junior vids at QB- he's an athlete. (Cook and Clark were ex-QBs, after all) He definitely excites me more than the Dowling kid, who looked pretty "catch-and-fallish" when seeing him on TV a couple of times last fall.

Shimonek- No defense, actually. QB is a crapshoot. If his brain processes quickly, he could be good. If it doesn't, he won't. Is he a leader or a dick?

Willies- Doesn't seem like he'll be ready for a couple of years, but his size seems legit (Mo Brown body?) and he could be a double winner in the Illinois 110H (ran a better time as a junior at state than Iowa tracksters Ethan Holmes or Jordan Mullen ran) and 300I hurdles this spring.

Powell- Seems like a solid "double". Cotton looks like a "triple" sometimes, but Cotton can't seem to hit the curve. In the dreaded highlight film that makes experts of us all, he reminded me a little of a slightly shorter version of Hayden's very good juco receiver Keith Chappelle. Not a burner, but a glider. A few plays with a WR running for a few yards after a catch would have changed the complexion of some games last fall.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Keith chappelle was my first favorite player.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Was that written by chiphilton or cidsports?

Reaction score
The kid from Ohio is pretty mobile for his size and will have plenty of time to learn and get bigger/faster/stronger behind guys like Darian Cooper, Jaleel Johnson, Carl Davis, Trinca-Pasat and Ekakitie..

I could see one of them moving across the ball to OG.

If we're strong and stout up front, the rest will fall in for us given our style of play.

Reaction score
A guy wrote this about Desmond King at TOS:

I have coached against this kid for four years. He is without a doubt the purest football player in the state of Michigan. Iowa is getting a steal. The kid is a football player, not a camp kid, you cant measure pad level, heart and big game instincts at camps. I told this kid after the City Championship game the next time I want to see you is on TV. Best player I have seen this year in Michigan by FAR.
And for credibility's sake, broth added:

Everyone gets too caught up in measurables. It's how they translate it and carry it in pads. King is a tremendous player with serious instincts and a nose for the ball.he plays with his eyes open, which is the hardest thing to teach athletes. He does it naturally. He will see the field early and often at Iowa and I agree with josh helmholdt, he has a long career ahead of him.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Reaction score
I don't think any one's screaming "these guys suck!" Well, maybe they are, but I just personally feel that this is a class that's basically entirely full of roll players coming into a program that's desperately in need of difference makers.

And, I realize that it is a difficult position to recruit, but not bringing in a single DE in light of what's currently on the roster is, IMO, borderline criminal.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don't think any one's screaming "these guys suck!" Well, maybe they are, but I just personally feel that this is a class that's basically entirely full of roll players coming into a program that's desperately in need of difference makers.

And, I realize that it is a difficult position to recruit, but not bringing in a single DE in light of what's currently on the roster is, IMO, borderline criminal.
do you think they didnt try to recruit DE's or something? if we offered some white dude just based on position, you and doug would be complaining about what a reach he was.

it seems to me like the staff is trying to get athleticism into the program and figure out where they play later.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

WOB?

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

WOB?
no

Shawneemicks

Reaction score

If Iowa goes through signing day next Wednesday without a single DE commit, it is outright negligence IMO.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Why? If they struck out on impact guys, why sign someone who won't contribute just because? I don't care that they're not signing anyone - if you're upset about something, be upset that they couldn't get anyone good.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Let's be real, the people that perceive the program to be on the downward slide and that KF isnt the right coach for the job anymore, are going to nit-pick this class to death.

I say that with all due respect but some objectivity flew out the window with a few around here.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Why? If they struck out on impact guys, why sign someone who won't contribute just because? I don't care that they're not signing anyone - if you're upset about something, be upset that they couldn't get anyone good.
point taken.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
this

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
They've got quite a few guys at defensive end, they were just mostly young last year, so I'm not sure that bringing in another young guy would really help things. Ott, McGinn, Hardy, Ekakitie, Venkus, Spears and Alvis are 7 guys on the depth chart they would have to pass up. Only one of those guys graduates next year. Hopefully a few of those guys pan out and starting having an impact next year.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Let's be real, the people that perceive the program to be on the downward slide and that KF isnt the right coach for the job anymore, are going to nit-pick this class to death.

I say that with all due respect but some objectivity flew out the window with a few around here.
I don't really have any other complaints than the DE thing. Overall, I'd say this class is pretty typical Iowa-ish, maybe slightly worse (probably because of lack of volume) But don't get me started on that:(

Gushawk

Reaction score
Ott (some promise)
McGinn (same, but less)
Hardy (likely would have contributed now if he was going to)
Ekakitie (probably really a tackle, at best an edge holding strongside end with nothing but a bull rush)
Venkus (never heard of him)
Spears (converted LB project unlikely to pan out - only hope as speed rusher on entire roster)
Alvis (wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt, unlikely to reach "good/solid" Big Ten caliber at this point)

I would argue with the above currently on campus, the program's future demands that you at minimum reach for 3 projects and hope one of them pan out. Especially if you plan to continue to play the 4-3 we do.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Gus why do you say Spears is unlikely to pan out? He was one I was thinking might be an exciting option.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Exciting? Really?

He's been practicing at end since last spring. He saw zero game action, save perhaps a few uneventful snaps vs. Nebrantska that I think I saw, despite competing against the likes Bigach, Gags, Alvis, etc. That tells me the brightness of his future is in serious, serious question.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Question: if Iowa is facing mostly mobile QBs, is a rush end that important any longer?

Better question: if Iowa is facing mostly mobile QBs (and have no rush ends), why the hell aren't they converting to a 3-4?

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Exciting? Really?

He's been practicing at end since last spring. He saw zero game action, save perhaps a few uneventful snaps vs. Nebrantska that I think I saw, despite competing against the likes Bigach, Gags, Alvis, etc. That tells me the brightness of his future is in serious, serious question.
I say that because I know that we transitioned some linebackers to DE in the past and its worked out well. I was hoping he'd have the athleticism and the staff was just working onn getting him bigger. Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Ott (some promise)
McGinn (same, but less)
Hardy (likely would have contributed now if he was going to)
Ekakitie (probably really a tackle, at best an edge holding strongside end with nothing but a bull rush)
Venkus (never heard of him)
Spears (converted LB project unlikely to pan out - only hope as speed rusher on entire roster)
Alvis (wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt, unlikely to reach "good/solid" Big Ten caliber at this point)

I would argue with the above currently on campus, the program's future demands that you at minimum reach for 3 projects and hope one of them pan out. Especially if you plan to continue to play the 4-3 we do.
Jesus, that's about as pessimistic of a view as you could possibly have.

Ott - you have only seen him as a true freshman forced into action.
McGinn - was hurt most of last year so you really haven't even seen him.
Ekakitie - played linebacker and defensive end in high school so even if his best position is defensive tackle I see no reason he can't play defensive end also, like Christian Ballard did. That would seem to be a better option than bringing in a bunch of shitty prospects and hoping you hit the lottery. Reports from TOS are that he is a player.
Venkus - was a redshirt last year you haven't seen him.
Hardy - I don't disagree with you on him.
Alvis - Coming off of major knee surgery. Not unprecented for a guy to struggle his first year back before he regains his form
Spears - Hasn't played. As AZ says, he is making a switch from linebacker you can't expect that to happen overnight.

Last edited:

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Is McMinn the one that burned his red shirt in week 9?

Gushawk

Reaction score
I think the pessimism is warranted. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot look at that group and conclude we're well positioned for the present and future at end. I do think it is a a real and glaring deficiency on the roster.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I think the pessimism is warranted. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot look at that group and conclude we're well positioned for the present and future at end. I do think it is a a real and glaring deficiency on the roster.
There is absolutely zero rational reason to be "pessimistic" about guys like Venkus and Spears and in the same breath say you want Kirk to bring in a few projects. "Projects" don't play for a few years - a time you're not willing to let pass on our existing projects before declaring yourself pessimistic about their potential.

Gushawk

Reaction score
There is absolutely zero rational reason to be "pessimistic" about guys like Venkus and Spears and in the same breath say you want Kirk to bring in a few projects. "Projects" don't play for a few years - a time you're not willing to let pass on our existing projects before declaring yourself pessimistic about their potential.
Given the success rate of such projects, it might be a decent idea to have more than 2 on campus, particularly given that one of those two is not a spring chicken to the program or even the position at this point and has yet to flash much of anything in open practices or limited game action.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Given the success rate of such projects, it might be a decent idea to have more than 2 on campus, particularly given that one of those two is not a spring chicken to the program or even the position at this point and has yet to flash much of anything in open practices or limited game action.
Not a spring chicken? Outside of Alvis, every single DE on the roster is an underclassman. Every single one of those guys has needed to add weight, of course they were going to struggle. In 2001 Howard Hodges played in 7 games, I'm sure going into 2002 the thought of him being a starter had everyone jumping for joy.

Gushawk

Reaction score
There is no Howard Hodges in that group. JFC. Or Matt Roth. Or Derreck Robinson. Or Jonathan Babineux.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score
There is no Howard Hodges in that group. JFC. Or Matt Roth. Or Derreck Robinson. Or Jonathan Babineux.
And you know this how? I'm talking about Spears. Spears is 6-2 255 as a sophomore, Hodges was 6-2 255 as a senior. Hodges had a whopping 9 tackles going into his junior year. But you're right, there is no hope for Spears. None at all.

Reaction score
You mentioned DRob, Gus. Wasn't he considered a wasted scholarship until his 4th year? Wasn't he a reserve until year 5? Clauss didn't start until year 4. Hodges also didn't start until year 4 IIRC (wasn't Cole at DE with Kampman that year?). None of the 2005 starters SHOULD have started that year; at least they wouldn't have in 2000-2004. (Imagine the '05 defense with last year's LB corps)

Not saying Bud Spears or McGinn are those old guys (and both were hurt last fall for the first half of the year), but they looked like they moved pretty well in open practices. Hardy rotated in a lot starting with (maybe) NW. Didn't look bad, I didn't think. His disappointing thing is that he hasn't gotten bigger for the inside, but apparently isn't making a dent outside. But he could always be a guy that starts to "get it" by next year. Would love to see him at 285 this spring if he's gonna be a tackle.

Reaction score
And you know this how? I'm talking about Spears. Spears is 6-2 255 as a sophomore, Hodges was 6-2 255 as a senior. Hodges had a whopping 9 tackles going into his junior year. But you're right, there is no hope for Spears. None at all.
Hodges came in at 190. Imagine the guffaws...

Gushawk

Reaction score
We'll see, I guess. All are eggs are clearly in these guys' baskets. I'm guessing they'll bear mor Gaglione than Hodges level play.