2017 Recruiting Thread

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
The problem with Williams is he's lost at PG and doesn't shoot well at all so playing him at the 2/3 is a challenge.

He can defend though and is good on the break.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The problem with Williams is he's lost at PG and doesn't shoot well at all so playing him at the 2/3 is a challenge.

Do you not need to make layups to be good on the break?

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

Do you not need to make layups to be good on the break?
I was trying to point out things he doesn't suck at yet but yeah he's missed some bunnies

Reaction score
Enough with critiquing Williams' game. He, along with others, have decided to transfer. Let's just wish him well & move on.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

Now everyone freak out about 14 quality players on the roster...

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Good. Guards are a necessity so an improved Williams or too 150 freshman in Connor should help backup bohannon. Then with Brady and Dailey behind moss, I feel better about the 1 and 2 spots being at least serviceable behind the starters.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Good. Guards are a necessity so an improved Williams or too 150 freshman in Connor should help backup bohannon. Then with Brady and Dailey behind moss, I feel better about the 1 and 2 spots being at least serviceable behind the starters.
Iowa certainly needs a improvement at the backup point guard position. Williams PER last year was 8. League average is 15 and rotation players should be above 13. Ellingson's PER was exactly 13.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Iowa certainly needs a improvement at the backup point guard position. Williams PER last year was 8. League average is 15 and rotation players should be above 13. Ellingson's PER was exactly 13.
Yes, but if you only look at his bad games Ellingonson's PER was pretty bad.

/@L. Wade

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

/@L. Wade
Wait wait wait.

This is borderline retarded interpretation of what I said. The argument was whether or not we needed Ellingson next year. I pointed out that in roughly half the conference games he did jack shit on offense so regardless of how efficient his numbers might look on a per possession basis he is hardly a key person on this team. In fact he was so efficient on offense that there is no way I would be comfortable extrapolating that over whatever percentage of joks minutes he gets next year.

Keep in mind that this is without even considering the fact that in roughly 110.7% of games he was fucking terrible on defense.

Because I like you, I would also like to point out that you are now entering the territory where I am NOT defending a slow white player. Do you understand how rare this is?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

/@L. Wade
*Ellingson

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

/@L. Wade
Wait wait wait.

This is borderline retarded interpretation of what I said. The argument was whether or not we needed Ellingson next year. I pointed out that in roughly half the conference games he did jack shit on offense so regardless of how efficient his numbers might look on a per possession basis he is hardly a key person on this team. In fact he was so efficient on offense that there is no way I would be comfortable extrapolating that over whatever percentage of joks minutes he gets next year.

Keep in mind that this is without even considering the fact that in roughly 110.7% of games he was fucking terrible on defense.

Because I like you, I would also like to point out that you are now entering the territory where I am NOT defending a slow white player. Do you understand how rare this is?
But what is being pointed out to you is that is an absolutely incredibly stupid way to look at the production of a role player.

No one is saying he's our best player or that Iowa "needs" him. You introduced that. As I said, there's probably only 2 players on Iowa's roster that they "need". He's a role player, and he'll never be more than a role player. The point was that they would be worse off if he's not on the roster next year compared to his potential replacements, which is clearly true.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

/@L. Wade
Wait wait wait.

But what is being pointed out to you is that is an absolutely incredibly stupid way to look at the production of a role player.

No one is saying he's our best player or that Iowa "needs" him. You introduced that. As I said, there's probably only 2 players on Iowa's roster that they "need". He's a role player, and he'll never be more than a role player. The point was that they would be worse off if he's not on the roster next year compared to his potential replacements, which is clearly true.
I quoted a post where someone literally said "my god, we need that kid next year".

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Wait wait wait.

I quoted a post where someone literally said "my god, we need that kid next year".
Dammit. Okay, granted.

That one guy was over dramatic. That still doesn't make the overall point wrong - Iowa would be worse without him next year.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Sometimes I get the impression that Fran might be the one trying to push him to take a year to figure everything out or go to baseball.

He knowingly recruited over the limit and if he really, really wanted him for basketball he would tell him to get serious and choose.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Sometimes I get the impression that Fran might be the one trying to push him to take a year to figure everything out or go to baseball.

He knowingly recruited over the limit and if he really, really wanted him for basketball he would tell him to get serious and choose.
I think Fran just has to forever have the "you choose to be a member of this team" card he has with every player.

But he also wants the I want you to follow your dreams and desires card for his kids. And the I support my recruits participation in other hs activiites card all college coaches have (ala Wirfs/Epenesa). HS baseball season isn't over till mid-July.....

But when practice for Europe starts later in July, I expect Connor to report for duty in the family business.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

I think Fran just has to forever have the "you choose to be a member of this team" card he has with every player.

But he also wants the I want you to follow your dreams and desires card for his kids. And the I support my recruits participation in other hs activiites card all college coaches have (ala Wirfs/Epenesa). HS baseball season isn't over till mid-July.....

But when practice for Europe starts later in July, I expect Connor to report for duty in the family business.
Or they could treat him like a true walk-on whose primary sport is baseball. In this case it's like Ukah who never would have received a scholly in the first place. Have him be part of the team and if he develops after a first year red shirt, he can earn some playing time otherwise he can just be a glorified member of the bench. See no reason for him not to play on the team even if baseball is is primary sport. Worst case scenario, he doesn't play much but you have another D1 athlete who can compete in practice and make your core that much better.

There's so many ways Connor can and I think will help the team.

Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

Or they could treat him truly like a walk-on like Ukah. Have him be part of the team and if he develops after a first year red shirt, he can earn some playing time otherwise he can just be a glorified member of the bench. See now reason for hiim not to play on the team even if baseball is is primary sport.
I don't hate this idea. Redshirt him in basketball and give him time to figure it out. What is he, 18? He doesn't have to have the rest of his life figured out this second.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Well, Connor is redshirting in Basketball and playing Baseball the first year. The suspense is over...for now.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if he plays basketball at this point.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
We didn't want him anyways.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Nice for Fran to pay his way. He's off the lookers hate radar for now

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
Nice for Fran to pay his way. He's off the lookers hate radar for now
Must be nice to have daddy as a coach so you can pull this waffling crap. If Jack Nunge said he wanted to redshirt so he could try out swimming for a year Fran would tell him to kick rocks.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Reaction score
So next year he'll be a RS Freshman in basketball and Sophomore in baseball? Didn't realize that was possible.

douglasbader

Reaction score
So next year he'll be a RS Freshman in basketball and Sophomore in baseball? Didn't realize that was possible.
You have 5 years to play 4 years of sports at the NCAA level. The sports are individual and class distinction doesn't interact with each other.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
I'd like to see him play basketball. He doesn't appear to be a game changer in the Big 10, but HaLo collectively agreed that bohannon would suck so who knows.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

Or they could treat him truly like a walk-on like Ukah. Have him be part of the team and if he develops after a first year red shirt, he can earn some playing time otherwise he can just be a glorified member of the bench. See no reason for him not to play on the team even if baseball is is primary sport.
I don't hate this idea. Redshirt him in basketball and give him time to figure it out. What is he, 18? He doesn't have to have the rest of his life figured out this second.
@BBK called it?

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
Haven't looked through the recruiting threads since March, and sorry if this has already been discussed, but I noticed this year's recruits, next year's recruits, and 2019's recruits are all white guys.

In basketball.

I wonder if that has ever happened in the modern era with a D-1 team.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Haven't looked through the recruiting threads since March, and sorry if this has already been discussed, but I noticed this year's recruits, next year's recruits, and 2019's recruits are all white guys.

In basketball.

I'd give you grief for this racist post but I'm holding off as I cant be sure what I'd say were I someone who was able to discern a person's skin color.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score

In basketball.

I'd give you grief for this racist post but I'm holding off as I cant be sure what I'd say were I someone who was able to discern a person's skin color.
What was the last all-white starting 5 lineup to win an NCAA D1 championship?