**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
You got to love the dudes that feel compelled to respond directly on Twitter to Tyler's post. LOL man have some pride

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It's funny though, there were some small things earlier this year but all of this was really kicked off by Kakert and Brown on a podcast a few days ago and it caught fire from there.

The problem with how they handled it is they invited this sort of rampant speculation. If Kakert or Brown actually knew what they say they know now that they heard Cook planned to possibly go pro and hire an agent, then hinting specifically at that would have stopped any of this ridiculous transfer to Missouri shit.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Fuck I’m hungover

Here’s the other thing, and this is somewhat stupid but I assume you expect this from me. We just had a fucking horrible season. If cook bails I can totally see Pemsl and Kriener staying because they are iowa kids playing with their boy Jordan and they ain’t letting Iowa hoops go out like that. Add joe and Connor who is literally playing for his fathers pride and reputation and I think we see a feisty group next year who might need a tan but they can play.
These guys won the B10 outright, followed up with B10 tournament and went to back-to-back Final Fours:

http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?roster=28&path=mbball

It's premature but not completely insane to see some of our guys fulfilling the roles:

Kaminsky- Garza
Dekker- Weiskamp
Koenig- bohannon
Hayes- Nunge???
Jackson- Moss/McCaffery

No one else on that team averaged more than 6 points/game. Obviously optimistic and easy to give most of the advantage to the Wisconsin guys but I doubt anyone saw those guys coming two years out. And within that time period we also add Patrick and maybe Carton. The Wisconsin teams also were not defense-optional.
I was thinking the same thing with regard to the roster with Cook as Hayes and Jordan as Gasser (not the donor) before all of this Cook speculation. Connor seems like a good comparison to Jackson IMO.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You got to love the dudes that feel compelled to respond directly on Twitter to Tyler's post. LOL man have some pride
I don’t know, I used to make fun of this shit as well but now especially for people younger than me it’s pretty common place to interact with athletes.

CamelTones

Reaction score
If Nunge figures it out him and Garza are a perfect fit on offense. Both can step out so one doesn’t clog the lane for the other. You could run a lot of high low action with Wieskamp and bohannon shooting from the outside. Either have to hope Moss somehow figures it out or you start Connor and roll with the Aryan Race.

I still think Moss as your 5th option is ideal. Baer backs up Nunge, Kriener backs up Garza, Dailey is your 4th wing. Wagner gets spot minutes only when necessary.

Will never happen but if Pemsl stays you redshirt him to balance out the roster, he takes Baers spot the last 2 years while giving him a full year to get completely healthy and develop some sort of shot.

That’s a 9/10 man rotation with defined rolls assuming Cook is gone.
:icon_neutral:
I was talking about what they would look like with the new strength and conditioning program.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Great case study in how rumors can gain a life of their own. Even for people that are usually connected. My comment yesterday literally came from someone on the football staff and they were convinced he was gone as were multiple other people within the program. In reality they probably heard the same bullshit everyone else did. Or, far more likely, cook changed his mind.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Great case study in how rumors can gain a life of their own. Even for people that are usually connected. My comment yesterday literally came from someone on the football staff and they were convinced he was gone as were multiple other people within the program. In reality they probably heard the same bullshit everyone else did. Or, far more likely, cook changed his mind.
I still think he mentally thinks he is done at Iowa, nothing he said in that post changes that. He clearly has a "plan" and logic would dictate that means going pro.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I still think he mentally thinks he is done at Iowa, nothing he said in that post changes that. He clearly has a "plan" and logic would dictate that means going pro.
Plus technically he did not rule out a transfer, only to Missouri.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Plus technically he did not rule out a transfer, only to Missouri.
Correct, but unless that transfer is to roughly 4 blue chip schools, it also makes no sense.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Eh...

douglasbader

Reaction score
Eh...
Well, there are only 4 options...

1. Stay at Iowa
2. Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent with the potential to stay at Iowa
3. Declare for the draft and hire an agent
4. Transfer

He seemed to rule out #4 and his comments also seem to rule out #1.

#2 is the most logical followed by #3

Reaction score
Fuck I’m hungover

Here’s the other thing, and this is somewhat stupid but I assume you expect this from me. We just had a fucking horrible season. If cook bails I can totally see Pemsl and Kriener staying because they are iowa kids playing with their boy Jordan and they ain’t letting Iowa hoops go out like that. Add joe and Connor who is literally playing for his fathers pride and reputation and I think we see a feisty group next year who might need a tan but they can play.
These guys won the B10 outright, followed up with B10 tournament and went to back-to-back Final Fours:

http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?roster=28&path=mbball

It's premature but not completely insane to see some of our guys fulfilling the roles:

Kaminsky- Garza
Dekker- Weiskamp
Koenig- bohannon
Hayes- Nunge???
Jackson- Moss/McCaffery

No one else on that team averaged more than 6 points/game. Obviously optimistic and easy to give most of the advantage to the Wisconsin guys but I doubt anyone saw those guys coming two years out. And within that time period we also add Patrick and maybe Carton. The Wisconsin teams also were not defense-optional.
L O Fucking L. It is absolutely completely insane to compare that Iowa team to a team that went to back-to-back Final 4's.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Hooray, TC is doing exactly what made sense since he was 15, balance college ball vs pro opportunities. Go to the combine and see what's up, hooray. Good on ya studly!

JFC, fun watching LWade talk about this as a case study in rumors. Wonder if Pharty and Doc and Kakert et al will similarly try to go RATT. Especially Hardy with his done deal since Novermber bullshit.

But none of them will be able to come across as anything but shit stirring fools as always.

AFter all, they just can't help themselves from self-importantly wallowing in more shit, and will respond to TC saying "that was never the plan" by saying something like this:

Or, far more likely, cook changed his mind.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I bet the replies to that tweet are awful.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I bet the replies to that tweet are awful.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Yep, there it is for sure. He's going pro and the only question will he leave himself the out to come back. Either way, he isn't planning on transferring or sitting out and that is the best case scenario for Iowa when it comes to how this looks to recruits.
Triple circle!!!

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Eh...
Well, there are only 4 options...

1. Stay at Iowa
2. Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent with the potential to stay at Iowa
3. Declare for the draft and hire an agent
4. Transfer

He seemed to rule out #4 and his comments also seem to rule out #1.

#2 is the most logical followed by #3
You listed them in the most logical order. (I was questioning his logic, not yours)

Reaction score
Here's a good ol' hedging Kakert sequence

On Sunday he wrote

Still stand by my over/under for transfers at three this off-season.
Yesterday he wrote

I said my guess would be three leaving the program...that includes possibly just leaving for the NBA. It always did. Leaving is leaving.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
From Leistikow’s Twitter:

Luka Garza finished his first year at Iowa with exactly 400 points, fourth-most by a freshman in school history behind Ricky Davis (464), Tyler Smith (461) & Jess Settles (414). Feel free to be excited about @LukaG_55.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

Luka Garza finished his first year at Iowa with exactly 400 points, fourth-most by a freshman in school history behind Ricky Davis (464), Tyler Smith (461) & Jess Settles (414). Feel free to be excited about @LukaG_55.
I am excited. Thanks!!!!!!!

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

Halo’s been on board much of the Big Ten season.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

I am excited. Thanks!!!!!!!
Bet ya a million bucks he passes Tyler next year.

Reaction score
All the dumbass writers and posters who suddenly knew for months that Cook was leaving for Mizzou and it was an open secret since November need to eat some crow and then go fuck themselves hard.
Wasn't Harty saying this? Can he finally just go away and stay away now, shamed for all time?

Reaction score
All the dumbass writers and posters who suddenly knew for months that Cook was leaving for Mizzou and it was an open secret since November need to eat some crow and then go fuck themselves hard.
Wasn't Harty saying this? Can he finally just go away and stay away now, shamed for all time?

Sources probably = Kakert.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Sources probably = Kakert.
Kakert new he wasn’t going to Missouri two weeks ago.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Anyone who pays any of these goobers actual money for access to their content is an idiot. They don't know jack shit.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I enjoy the conversation on the rivals boards but god this was a bad whiff by everyone.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Cook's tweet didn't rule out a transfer to somewhere other than Mizzou, but I assume he's only focused on the NBA. Now someone needs to figure out a way to block calls between Cook and Jayson Tatum.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Sounds like some people need to suck a fat one

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
FWIW, the same (apparent) insider who was quoted by Hiawatha a couple of days ago about Cook's plans posted that Cook was told this morning that there was no chance he would get a release to go to Mizzou.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Former Hoops player is telling us that Wagner is seriously considering going out for football

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Google says that Euro leagues pay high end $20,000 a month and more typically in the 4-10k a month range. If I were Cook (and I'm not, but if I were...) I would go to Finland, make $80,000/year and bang hot Finnish women for a couple years.

The real question for him is what best improves his chances of playing in the NBA, where the real money is. Its a long shot either way, but he needs to be a better defender & rebounder to make it as an undersized 4. His best comp would be Kenneth Faried.

CamelTones

Reaction score
If he plays both sports I believe the scholarship counts against football. But I’ve been wrong a lot.