**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Reaction score
Doug telling everyone to stop discussing bench press in this thread when he engaged is great.

Bob

Reaction score
I do think Garza is gonna be really good though. He played really well down the stretch and if he shoots well from outside that's a nice compliment to Cook

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
There is pretty much zero reason now for a lot of players to withdraw before the draft, which means college teams will be in limbo until almost July not knowing if they need to save a spot for players.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
There is pretty much zero reason now for a lot of players to withdraw before the draft, which means college teams will be in limbo until almost July not knowing if they need to save a spot for players.
Yeah, I get trying to expand opportunities for the players. But this seems kind of cumbersome. I guess everyone will adjust and it will just be the new normal.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Teams will have to impose their own internal deadline at this point.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Teams will have to impose their own internal deadline at this point.
That...wouldn't work.
It would if you don't want to be left high and dry scrambling for a replacement player.
Right, but in almost every single case it would be the team's best player.

Let's say they tell him that he has until ___ to decide, and he says no I am going to take as long as I want.

They would just be like okay let us know whenever.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
That...wouldn't work.
It would if you don't want to be left high and dry scrambling for a replacement player.

Let's say they tell him that he has until ___ to decide, and he says no I am going to take as long as I want.

Most likely. But guys should still be able to get a feel for if they're going to be drafted or not by the same deadline.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
There is pretty much zero reason now for a lot of players to withdraw before the draft
Agree. Iowa reporters, of course, will be flummoxed. If Garza even hints at being evaluated it will be a sign that Fran has lost control of his players.

Bob

Reaction score
It's apparently only gonna apply to a handful of "elite" prospects selected by Team USA and invited to the combine, and won't go into effect until after the NBA drops the age limit, which isn't happening until 2022 or so. Probably not something Iowa is going to have to worry about

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Most likely. But guys should still be able to get a feel for if they're going to be drafted or not by the same deadline.
with big ten's guaranteed 4 year scholarships teams will have to find a reason to take it from someone

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
University of Kentucky coach John Calipari, talking about the NCAA rules changes on SportsCenter, said, "None of this goes into effect until the NBA and the players' association come up with something, and I'm hearing it won't be until 2022 so we're probably wasting our breath dealing with the ins and outs of this.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It is pickup, but Cook looks more fluid. Still can't play defense worth a shit.

Reaction score
Too bad PTL is done. Cook could be working against a bunch of 6’2” soybeans instead of that group of athletically gifted individuals.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
what kinda loser plays defense in pickup anyway
I play annoying short/medium sized guy sloppy hustle slappy defense, and Im fucking proud of it.

And if you blow by me, I will foul the shit out of your arms or grab you.

douglasbader

Reaction score
what kinda loser plays defense in pickup anyway
I play annoying short/medium sized guy sloppy hustle slappy defense, and Im fucking proud of it.

And if you blow by me, I will foul the shit out of your arms or grab you.
I'll give you a random elbow requiring stitches.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I am wrong for not getting pissed or giving a shit about who we play for home buy games? If we find some not horrible RPI teams then great, but every other team does the same thing so I struggle to see the problem. Yes, it’s easy to look back and say “we should have scheduled RPI 200 instead of 300” but that’s unfair and next to impossible to accomplish in my eyes.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
It's only slightly problematic because they find themselves on the bubble so often. If they handled business in conference, or ran through the non-conference schedule virtually unscathed, it's a non-issuse for the most part.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
From what I can tell there are only 4 games/dates that Iowa had any control over.

That makes it pretty tough to get exactly what you're looking for.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
From what I can tell there are only 4 games/dates that Iowa had any control over.

That makes it pretty tough to get exactly what you're looking for.
Yes, past RPI is a decent predictor of what tier a team will be in due to conference affiliation but it’s a very volatile measure. Everyone bitched about scheduling southern Utah a year ago, and they ended up like 100 spots higher in RPI than the previous year.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The good news is everyone is back, the bad news is they aren't good at basketball.