***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Toppin is great. Garza would still take his lunch money though.

Dayton has played an embarrassingly bad schedule. I will not DMOFR, but I dont remember him being incredible in any of the couple Dayton big games I watched this year.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Garza is far and away the favourite on twitter.

But, I agree with most of the rest of you. Garza winning POTY is going to be tied to our team's success more than the individual numbers. That goes for all the candidates.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Garza has become the media darling. I have seen Toppin play and he's a physical freak, but Garza would do well against him. Howard is an incredible talent. He looks like a 25 ppg guy in the NBA one day to me. None of that matters.

If Luka doesn't get hurt and Iowa stays in the Top 25, I think he wins it.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Garza has become the media darling. I have seen Toppin play and he's a physical freak, but Garza would do well against him. Howard is an incredible talent. He looks like a 25 ppg guy in the NBA one day to me. None of that matters.

If Luka doesn't get hurt and Iowa stays in the Top 25, I think he wins it.
Do you think Howard is a better pro prospect than Toppin?

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think so. He's a 5'11" shooting guard and not much of a defender. I think he's more Carsen Edwards than Kemba Walker.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I didn't realize he was that small. He seems to play like he's bigger.

Toppin just seems really unrefined to me. All the physical tools, for sure.

I have no real argument, and don't really care either.

Both will be better NBA players than Garza.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I was going to say, Toppin is a lottery guy and Howard is probably a second rounder. Toppin is extremely talented. When I saw him play Colorado at the United Center before Iowa/Cincy I thought he was too unselfish in that particular game. Have watched him several times since and he is the real deal.

Reaction score
Committee did their top 16 bracket reveal today. When asked which teams just missed he said the three that generated the most discussion were Iowa, Kentucky and LSU.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Committee did their top 16 bracket reveal today. When asked which teams just missed he said the three that generated the most discussion were Iowa, Kentucky and LSU.
This is even with the Nebrantska and Purdue losses. Committee loves q1 wins and solid road wins. This team is in great shape and a 4 seed is still definitely on the table

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Even with dropping the @NEB game and getting embarrassed at Purdue, an extremely thin bench, and only 2 truly reliable scorers... this team is having a borderline great season. Fucking amazing to see a great OER and league record that is 1.5 games behind first place with all the shit they're playing through.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
steal a road win (or two), hold at home.

12-8 douche gets them in the dance

I know, I know , we've been talking top 4 seed, but let's see how they handle the road games coming up.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
10-10 and out of the top 25? I can see it, but a winning record in the douche this year, that's a lock.

I also want to see Fran take the team picked, what, third from the bottom, to a winning record in conference. that's some sweet fuck ya'll.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
10-10 and out of the top 25? I can see it, but a winning record in the douche this year, that's a lock.

I also want to see Fran take the team picked, what, third from the bottom, to a winning record in conference. that's some sweet fuck ya'll.
If they get to 10 conference wins, that will be about 10 quad 1 wins. That is a straight up lock. Shit 12-8 should be around a 6 seed.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Shit, even Turgeon will get votes from the east coast. Fran could win out and not get it.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Remaining schedule - figured it was worthy of posting here. Plenty of opportunities but no easy ones. Right there for the taking boys.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Remaining schedule - figured it was worthy of posting here. Plenty of opportunities but no easy ones. Right there for the taking boys.
It is hard to win on the road, but as BBK mentioned earlier if Iowa is for real they need to win the next 2 games.

The last 7 games will determine if this is a fun season where Iowa can pull another 3 or 4 wins and finish 11-9 or 12-8 and maybe get a 6/7/8 seed. Making it to the 2nd round is tough and getting beyond that is much tougher.

If they can go 5-2 then they likely have a Top 4 seed in the BTT and a 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The odds of making the Sweet 16 go way up.

Reaction score
Yeah 4-3 would be awesome and probably has them right there for a top 4 in the Big Ten and a 5-6 seed in the NCAA.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Pemsl was popped for driving while suspended. I hate to be a disciplinarian but that should be a 15 game suspension or so.
What a dumbfuck. I feel bad for the guy healthwise, but that is a seriously dumb decision to make in the middle of the season when you’re already on the chopping block. As most of us have already said, I’d rather have Till eating minutes anyways

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
What a dumbfuck. I feel bad for the guy healthwise, but that is a seriously dumb decision to make in the middle of the season when you’re already on the chopping block. As most of us have already said, I’d rather have Till eating minutes anyways
I don't know about that. Neither are great options obviously, Pemsl is bigger and slightly better on offense.