***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
A few things here....

- Carton may not even need a waiver if the NCAA allows the one time transfer immediately eligible this summer
- The scenario you mentioned is right. I don't see how you take Carton without multiple other roster changes. At a minimum Toussaint would have to be moving on.
You couldn't blame Toussaint at all for leaving if Carton came in.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
I like the idea of redshirting Carton for a year and having him focus on his health and wellness. That would help balance the team a bit better. But still leaves you with 3 PGs (4 if you count Connor) in 2021.

• GFY
Reactions: BBK

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
From Bettendorf, Iowa (1 hour) and Marquette (3 hours) are the closest schools that were in his initial final 6. Every other P5 contender would be 3+ hours away.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I like the idea of redshirting Carton for a year and having him focus on his health and wellness. That would help balance the team a bit better. But still leaves you with 3 PGs (4 if you count Connor) in 2021.
I doubt Carton wants to redshirt. He already missed half of a season. Plus, if he comes to Iowa you don’t sit him. You try to go win a title

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This might be stupid, but I'd almost rather have the grad transfer, Anosike, I think.

With Nunge coming back from an injury and the questions around Pat, he could really fill a need.
Big man depth is a big need (and Nunge is a Brommer level player anyways), he would make a very good team a little better. But Carton at his potential......lawd Jesus. Iowa would be a legitimate contender.

That being said, chemistry is a real life consideration, and Fran has a tough decision to make if Carton actually wants to come here.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The entire freshman class can redshirt and both of Frans boys can be taken off scholarship.

bohannon/Joe T/Carton and a little Connor
Frederick/bohannon
Wieskamp/Patrick
Connor/Patrick/Nunge/Pemsl?
Garza/Nunge/Pemsl

Freshman redshirt, bohannon,Garza, Pemsl open up 3 spots after the year and there will always be more attrition.

This is the type of situation that made Wisconsin so good all those years. They had the depth to let guys sit and watch/develop for a year.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Another thing people need to keep in mind is how some guys may choose not to come back (Nationwide) after this Covid 19 pandemic. A guy like Toussaint goes home for 3 or 4 months, it’s possible he just decides he doesn’t want to come back to Iowa and would rather stay closer to home.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced he ever plays again, but if Patrick can come back and have somewhat the type of impact that Fredrick had, watch out.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Kakert with the ridiculous update....

Ok, here's what I know so far.

Top line item...at this point, he's not going to Iowa. Both sides seem to feel it's just not the right time or fit. Could that change? Sure. But, just getting it out there that he's probably not going to end up in an Iowa uniform.

Creighton seems to have some stream out of the gate. Also UNI, NIU, and Bradley. Haven't heard anything about ISU at this point. Also, doubtful he ends up in Champaign.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The solution to opening up enough minutes is to run the four guard lineup with Connor and Wieskamp logging most of the minutes at the 4. Something like:

PG- Carton (26), Toussaint (14)
SG- Fredrick (22), bohannon (18)
SF- Wieskamp (22), Patrick (12), Fredrick (6)
PF- Connor (28), Wieskamp (8), Nunge (4)
C- Garza (32), Nunge (8)

So ultimately you’re giving 26 minutes to Carton, 14 to Joe T, 18 to bohannon, 28 to Fredrick, 30 to Wieskamp, 28 to Connor, 12 to Patrick, 12 to Nunge, and 32 to Garza.

Redshirt all of the freshmen (except maybe Ogundele in case of injury/foul trouble). Obviously if Patrick isn’t ready to play those minutes open up, and there are bound to be a couple injuries over the course of the season to open up some minutes as well.

CamelTones

Reaction score
DJ Carton at UNI...not a great fit. Also, Northern Illinois? Wtf?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start with that, but here it goes....

- reading between the lines, it seems like Carton contacted Iowa or there was at least a discussion and seems to me that Fran might have told him Iowa doesn't have room "it isn't the right time or fit".

- Lol at Creighton leading the way at a distances of 4+ hours away. LOL even more at UNI / NIU / Bradley as options.

Reaction score
The first paragraph makes sense. The schools don't unless he really wants to be a big fish in a small pond close to home.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The solution to opening up enough minutes is to run the four guard lineup with Connor and Wieskamp logging most of the minutes at the 4. Something like:

PG- Carton (26), Toussaint (14)
SG- Fredrick (22), bohannon (18)
SF- Wieskamp (22), Patrick (12), Fredrick (6)
PF- Connor (28), Wieskamp (8), Nunge (4)
C- Garza (32), Nunge (8)

So ultimately you’re giving 26 minutes to Carton, 14 to Joe T, 18 to bohannon, 28 to Fredrick, 30 to Wieskamp, 28 to Connor, 12 to Patrick, 12 to Nunge, and 32 to Garza.

Redshirt all of the freshmen (except maybe Ogundele in case of injury/foul trouble). Obviously if Patrick isn’t ready to play those minutes open up, and there are bound to be a couple injuries over the course of the season to open up some minutes as well.
@FrodoTBaggin

CamelTones

Reaction score
Seriously, if his options, outside of Creighton, are Bradley, Northern Illinois and UNI why wouldn’t he just go to the G League?

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
My opinion: he’s not coming to Iowa.
Could that change? Yes, and I will know about it 2 weeks before it happens

douglasbader

Reaction score
Seriously, if his options, outside of Creighton, are Bradley, Northern Illinois and UNI why wouldn’t he just go to the G League?
I think Kakert is full of shit on that part. He is just naming schools close to the Quad Cities.

Also, he couldn't handle being away from mommy and daddy in Columbus, then I doubt he is ready to take on a full time job traveling the country and living wherever the fuck he gets drafted in the G-League.

He fucked up and Foster fucked up. They both could have gone with a good coach and a solid stable program close to home that recruited both of them from the start.

They could have been part of a special team at Iowa. Carton / bohannon / Fredrick / Wieskamp / Foster / Garza would have been ridiculous.

Either way, sorry he is having mental health issues but he is a downright flake at this point. It would be hard to trust the kid to come in and be a team player and not a distraction after he quit on his team and then transferred.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I think Kakert is full of shit on that part. He is just naming schools close to the Quad Cities.

Also, he couldn't handle being away from mommy and daddy in Columbus, then I doubt he is ready to take on a full time job traveling the country and living wherever the fuck he gets drafted in the G-League.

He fucked up and Foster fucked up. They both could have gone with a good coach and a solid stable program close to home that recruited both of them from the start.

They could have been part of a special team at Iowa. Carton / bohannon / Fredrick / Wieskamp / Foster / Garza would have been ridiculous.

Either way, sorry he is having mental health issues but he is a downright flake at this point. It would be hard to trust the kid to come in and be a team player and not a distraction after he quit on his team and then transferred.
Fuck that. Assuming Garza comes back, Iowa can compete for the Big Ten championship and a Sweet Sixteen appearance (or better). If you can add a 5* super athletic PG who shot 40% from three as a freshman, you do it.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Fuck that. Assuming Garza comes back, Iowa can* compete for the Big Ten championship and a Sweet Sixteen appearance (or better). If you can add a 5* super athletic PG who shot 40% from three as a freshman, you do it.
*will

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score

This is where I’m at. Why should we believe his issues will improve at Iowa?

Given the current roster, Iowa doesn’t need to take a risk on this guy.

Reaction score
Anyone saying they don’t want Carton is a fucking idiot. If he’s interested in Iowa you absolutely take that chance and figure it out. Fran isn’t a dumb fuck and will take him with open arms if he actually wants to be here

douglasbader

Reaction score
Anyone saying they don’t want Carton is a fucking idiot. If he’s interested in Iowa you absolutely take that chance and figure it out. Fran isn’t a dumb fuck and will take him with open arms if he actually wants to be here
Well, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some kids are also big enough flakes that they can tank your whole team if you mess up. Iowa is going to be really fucking good either way, sort of a nice luxury to have.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Lol if he ends up at Creighton and his parents have to drive right through Iowa City on the way and they have to think to themselves ‘God Damnit’

Reaction score
This isn't football. Poorly constructed rosters can lead to the whole thing blowing up. Take a look at this article from Witchita State. They currently have 6 guys transferring with another guy considering it.

Before this last week, Marshall had only lost one significant building block (Austin Reaves in 2018) to a transfer. Of course, that changed when Burton, Stevenson and Sherfield decided to leave despite all playing at least 24 minutes per game and combining for 57 starts this past season.

“Of course you don’t want to see that many guys leave at once, but you also don’t want to see that many guys stay that are unhappy with their role,” Marshall said. “You’re saying those guys played 24 minutes a game, but what I’m telling you is that’s not enough. They weren’t pleased with that. My job is to try to win and their job is to try to play as much as they can.”

Marshall said he made a mistake in his roster construction, a problem that originated in the 2018 offseason when WSU graduated six seniors, Landry Shamet declared early for the NBA Draft, Reaves was a surprise transfer and C.J. Keyser was ruled academically ineligible. That forced Marshall and his staff to fill nine scholarships in one offseason.

After hitting on three guards — Burton, Stevenson and Dexter Dennis — in the 2018 recruiting class, Marshall followed that up by signing three more highly touted freshmen in the 2019 recruiting class: Sherfield, Fernandes and Tyson Etienne.

It was the most talented depth Marshall had ever assembled in a backcourt, which he thought would be a team strength. Instead, it became the biggest issue for the team. In trying to satisfy all of three of his point guards, Marshall in turn fully satisfied none, which led to Burton, Sherfield and Fernandes pursuing opportunities to be full-time point guards elsewhere.

“There was some inherent competition there,” Marshall said. “Maybe the sophomores thought they had done something when they made the run last year in the NIT and then all of a sudden these highly touted freshmen come in. It was very difficult to keep everyone happy.

“I didn’t do a very good job of managing the personalities. We basically had 13 starters. We had a lot of really, really good players. But you can’t play that many, so no one was happy.”

Reaction score
Well, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some kids are also big enough flakes that they can tank your whole team if you mess up. Iowa is going to be really fucking good either way, sort of a nice luxury to have.
I get that and do understand the loyalty thing with Fran. I just don’t get how any coach says no To him if he actually wants to be there. He’s too good

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Sounds like he was really sick.

Poor guy.

Reaction score
Didn’t he also play with Wieskamp, Patrick and Connor through AAU ball?

douglasbader

Reaction score
This isn't football. Poorly constructed rosters can lead to the whole thing blowing up. Take a look at this article from Witchita State. They currently have 6 guys transferring with another guy considering it.

This. In football you can take on an Oliver Martin and if it doesn't work nobody really gives a fuck because there are 100+ guys on the team.

Basketball 1 or 2 bad apples or shit chemistry can tank the whole thing.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I get that and do understand the loyalty thing with Fran. I just don’t get how any coach says no To him if he actually wants to be there. He’s too good
99.999999% of the time I would agree when it comes to Iowa, but this specific year might be the exception.

bohannon is back and healthy. You have Toussaint that has promise. Ulis and Perkins coming in. Fredrick. Connor.

Who are you kicking out for a flake that quit in the middle of the season on his team and is currently fighting with trolls on social media?

Reaction score
99.999999% of the time I would agree when it comes to Iowa, but this specific year might be the exception.

bohannon is back and healthy. You have Toussaint that has promise. Ulis and Perkins coming in. Fredrick. Connor.

Who are you kicking out for a flake that quit in the middle of the season on his team and is currently fighting with trolls on social media?
Fuck I know and agree just can’t believe you would turn down that type of talent. Regardless the Queen needs to move on

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

For DJ Carton? Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, or Connor.

Unless he really is a huge POS, in which case none of them.