**2020 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Well, there won’t be a season at all anyways. But if somehow there is, it won’t involve the seniors who will have moved on by then.
Again, this is fucking stupid. The NBA isn't starting until at least January and more likely February or March. They are taking a month off for the Olympics. The season won't be over until August and draft in September.

Where the fuck are the seniors going to go that will have "moved on by then"?

Basketball has lots and lots of time to make it happen. There is no hurry.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
LOL that the NCAA is going to give up 2 straight NCAA Tournaments, especially when the second one could go into mid-summer.

I'm sure they will give up those billions.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
I don't know much and cover my RATT bases and especially don't have a fucking clue at this point about college football, but I can guarantee you they will have college basketball and a NCAA Tournament.

There is zero chance of not having it.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I like how they used Kent McCausland to emphasize the ‘Slamm-Dunkin Action!’

Reaction score
Marcelo Gomes. I can't even recall the last time I heard that name.
He gets mentioned from time to time

Back when I was an editor, I reached out to him about shooting some stuff for our magazine. He was shocked that I remembered him from his time as a Hawkeye.
He's not THAT bad. He's not great but he's not Gomes bad. Injuries were a big factor. That and he's a chucker.
Here is what sunk Dr. Tom Davis.....

- Age (or more accurately acting like a slightly unmotivated old man)
- Top level recruit Jeff Walker never playing
- Embarrassing misses in recruiting (LaFrentz)
- Embarrassing misses in recruiting (Ramos, Gomes, Helmers)
- Injuries and players flaking out (Settles and Kingsbury)
- Tragic Death (Chris Street)
he did always have a pretty high level (compared to what we've seen since) of first-line guys: ray thompson, earl, murray, settles, kingsbury, woolridge, davis, oliver, street. He developed some overachievers in jepsen (ravelling recruit), bowen, bartles, winters as a senior. he had some top 100 guys who didn't quite pan out as hoped -- moses and webb. some rated guys who were solid -- millard and koch.

but his successes were evened out by things like relying on head and jenkins to qualify, which left him with darryl moore starting at the 4 few years later, not being able to land a true center after the successes with jepsen and earl, a mid-90s string of solid bench guys but no studs, and big misses like gomes (who was offered by gene keady as well), alvin robinson, and john carter. and jeff walker. ugh.

The Dr. Tom nostalgia says more about the recruiting we've seen over the last fifteen years than it does about his classes. however, he was able to sign (but not always retain) a level of athleticism that we haven't seen often since.
I havent seen Iowa fan so quick to run a Freshman out of town since Marcelo Gomes showed up on campus.

Connor is going to be fine.
Bullard
Thompson (fuck you, Hunter Rawlings)
Moses and yes, Webb, were top 100 that Dr. Tom got away from the Pac 10
Murray
Settles
Kingsbury
Woolridge
Davis
Oliver
Range

Millard and Koch were low top 150, Barnes could play.

People focus on his disasters like Ramos, Gomes, Helmers, Robinson, Chime, Bullet, and Lusk, but Dr. Tom could land some talent -- a better recruiter, really, than Alfraud. Arguably better than Fran, as well.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Only 20 minutes into it, but Bohannon podcast where he interviews Tyler Cook is pretty damn funny.

The stories about Kriener are not surprising at all.

Reaction score
please please please please

Trademark applied for: The NCAA has filed a trademark for the phrase “Battle in the Bubble,” signaling what the association’s plans for the 2020-21 Division I basketball season might entail.

Link

An event operator in Houston turned in a formal proposal to the NCAA for a college basketball event called the “Battle in the Bubble” involving 20 teams that would allow programs to play an entire non-conference schedule in three weeks in December.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Would be cool if they formatted it like the NBA Bubble with 8 'seeding' games and then made it a mini tournament at the end. If you lose in the tournament you get matched up with another team you haven't played like the traditional exempt tournaments.

They have to change the way they calculate the NET rankings this year right?