**2020 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I didn’t recognize the flag and thought it was Estonia after he put quotes around no stone. Upon my own research I had to GFM.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If Tillman and Kofi and Ayo all come back and Luka leaves for fucking Europe because Frank can't help himself, then I am going to throw a childish fit like this site has never seen before.

CamelTones

Reaction score
If Tillman and Kofi and Ayo all come back and Luka leaves for fucking Europe because Frank can't help himself, then I am going to throw a childish fit like this site has never seen before.
In 15 years some kid is going to ask me about a what if season and I’ll have to tell them Iowa had a top 5 basketball team coming back but their star player decided to go pro...in Europe.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
No kid grows up in the USA dreaming of playing professional basketball in Europe. They think about two things ... big time college basketball and the NBA.

Having Luka play in Europe might be a great thing for Frank. He could travel around with Luka and hang out in Central European bars telling everyone about his son and how he, Frank Garza, made his son a pro basketball player.

Luka needs to tell Frank no.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Having Frank Garza yelling at Luka in an empty Big Ten arena needs to happen.

Reaction score
No kid grows up in the USA dreaming of playing professional basketball in Europe. They think about two things ... big time college basketball and the NBA.

Having Luka play in Europe might be a great thing for Frank. He could travel around with Luka and hang out in Central European bars telling everyone about his son and how he, Frank Garza, made his son a pro basketball player.

Agree, but little different for Luka as his mom is Bosnian. I would not be surprised if at some point Luka takes their citizenship and plays for national team.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Frank is doing pretty much what we thought he would do. He has no real job or income, so he has made his life posting videos of Luka training and selling shirts to Iowa fans and acting as his agent putting together a "board of advisers" (whatever the fuck that looks like).

This is being framed as some terribly difficult decision for Luka. It isn't, or at least it shouldn't be, but Frank is sure making it that way for him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also think it will shock Frank how quickly the unabashed love from fans will dry up if he pushes Luka to turn pro for Europe.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
If his choice was actually play in Europe vs play on part of the best iowa team in history. This is obviously a nobrainer and he stays. Unfortunately the choice is play in Europe vs potentially not play at all. That’s not as easy if the choice needs to be made today.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
If his choice was actually play in Europe vs play on part of the best iowa team in history. This is obviously a nobrainer and he stays. Unfortunately the choice is play in Europe vs potentially not play at all. That’s not as easy if the choice needs to be made today.
The only thing about that is I don’t think the Europe opportunity goes away for Luka if he decides to stay and then the NCAA pulls the plug last minute. He’s going to have opportunities.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
When does a player need to decide to play in Europe? Is there an impending deadline?

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Frank’s posts on this are attention whorish and all about him. Leave no stone unturned! Puke

newsbreaker

Reaction score
For Lucca Staiger, it was about 20 minutes before an ISU game. Europe isn't bound be any American amateurism rules
Then unless he absolutely needs the European payday, such as it were, why make any decision now?

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
While I think Europe is his ultimate destination, it isn't as if he's deciding between playing overseas or playing another year of college ball.

Europe is the consolation prize when he doesn't get drafted. Even if being drafted is extremely unlikely, he's going to make a decision based on the NBA's timeline. That's his goal.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
While I think Europe is his ultimate destination, it isn't as if he's deciding between playing overseas or playing another year of college ball.

Europe is the consolation prize when he doesn't get drafted. Even if being drafted is extremely unlikely, he's going to make a decision based on the NBA's timeline. That's his goal.
I just saw that. He’s not getting drafted, so he’s going to announce he’s withdrawing his name, and likely leaves if the college season implodes.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Right, however the guy from Gonzaga announced he was skipping college to play in Europe last week.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
We can wait to see what he decides before throwing a fit and having 20 posts bitching about how his dad is ruining everything.
But if he stays, we will get 40 posts from Doug (all pretty much the same but with slight tweaks) breaking down the season by all the various possible scheduling situations that could happen this year followed by a breakdown of the roster by position.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
But if he stays, we will get 40 posts from Doug (all pretty much the same but with slight tweaks) breaking down the season by all the various possible scheduling situations that could happen this year followed by a breakdown of the roster by position.
Either way panties will be wadded. I am going to wait so I don’t have to do it twice.

Reaction score
I thought you were adamant that sports can't happen outside of a bubble?
Right now, they can't. Odds are though that there's going to be a vaccine by the end of the year. NBA season next year isn't starting until Christmas at the earliest anyways. They're probably going to be a college basketball season -- may it be delayed into January or February or so. He's making a poor decision if he leaves. He's probably not getting drafted, and you can leave to go play in the Europe anytime he wants.

If there's no vaccine, there isn't going to be college basketball. The NBA is going to be a bubble again, and there will be no G-league or probably Euro-league anyways.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Frank is a little nuts but I don’t see that really affecting or rubbing off on Luka.

Reaction score
Frank’s an ex-con so I don’t really GAF what he says about anything.

I’m just going to assume that Luka is gone and I don’t have to hear from this guy anymore.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That number seems low.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
From Tom

FWIW, we were sent a note today from Iowa that Fran and and Luka will be doing a Zoom call with the media at some point tomorrow. Hoping to get a firm time later today.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Goddamn between him and Bohannons dipshit brother, next season (if it happens) is going to be annoying.