2020 recruiting

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
God damn. Before last season I remember thinking that Fran could be setting up for a few rough years and that he might not be long for the job. Now with this season and the way the team sets up for next year, he’s looking primed for another nice contract extension. I’m probably a little more high on this recruiting class than I should be, but either way, there is clearly a lot of potential there. Fran has likely has some great years in front of him.

I’ve had my issues with his coaching style from time to time*, but thank fucking God he came in and brought this program back from the dead after the criminal sunk it to unthinkable depths. Fran’s been pretty damn good at Iowa and looks like he’ll continue that trend.
/TL;DR

*I’m on record a few years ago saying that I preferred Alford. I’m not proud of it and it was certainly dumb as fuck.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Lol at the people freaking out about the buyout a few years ago.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
20-21

pg: bohannon?/ ulis and toussaint sort it out to see who is # 2. my bet is ulis.
sg: fredrick/perkins
sf: weiskamp/patrick (?)
pf: connor/nunge
c: garza/ogundele

pemsl gone. till watches.

if patrick isn't healthy, perkins is your backup sf and bohannon shifts to sg with fredrick. yes, connor is your starting pf. nunge is coming off a major injury and had played only a handful of college games. connor is a glue guy and it just works to have him as an undersized 4.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong but I have a weird feeling abt Patrick not being able to play next year. The fact that they still are trying to figure everything out is worrisome to me.

hope they figure it out just so the kid is “healthy” again. Basketball is secondary obvee

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong but I have a weird feeling abt Patrick not being able to play next year. The fact that they still are trying to figure everything out is worrisome to me.

hope they figure it out just so the kid is “healthy” again. Basketball is secondary obvee
unless one is an endocrinologist, it's all just shit talking -- but, that is what HALO is for:

I would be very surprised if he plays next year. apart from the late gabby grunewald, I can't think of a high-level athlete who has been able to sustain the needed workload to compete at an elite level post-thyroid removal. that's just a fucker for the endocrine system.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Watched Bowen Born play in person last night for the first time. And I stand by my position that ISU and Iowa are going to regret not going after him. Dropped an easy 30 in the second half (39 overall) and was hitting 28 footers like layups. Quick and can penetrate although I don't see him able to finish in the lane in college like he does in high school. Had I think 4 -and one driving layups last night with excellent body control. Is a short, twig out there, but that stroke and handle was high major. He probably wouldn't be a multi-year starter at either big school, but he's a better shooting option off the bench than either school has right now.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think the argument has been that he can play at a major level (not saying you said that either), but that he wouldn't be the same type of player when longer more-athletic players are guarding him every night. I think he could have been a good three point shooter for 8-10 minutes off the bench for iowa

At UNI the step down in talent may allow him to more closely resemble his high school career. I think the MVC will be a great fit for Born.

eclone

Reaction score
I don't think the argument has been that he can play at a major level (not saying you said that either), but that he wouldn't be the same type of player when longer more-athletic players are guarding him every night. I think he could have been a good three point shooter for 8-10 minutes off the bench for iowa

At UNI the step down in talent may allow him to more closely resemble his high school career. I think the MVC will be a great fit for Born.
I fully agree from his perspective. A friend's kid is friendly with Bowen. Said that was exactly his thought...he'd rather start at a lower level than ride the bench in Ames/Iowa City. (Which is easy to say when ISU and Iowa never offered)

But from the ISU/IA perspective, I think it's a miss and they should have sold him on the bench sharpshooter role. Lord knows both teams could use some 3 point shooting and ball handling off the bench.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I fully agree from his perspective. A friend's kid is friendly with Bowen. Said that was exactly his thought...he'd rather start at a lower level than ride the bench in Ames/Iowa City. (Which is easy to say when ISU and Iowa never offered)

But from the ISU/IA perspective, I think it's a miss and they should have sold him on the bench sharpshooter role. Lord knows both teams could use some 3 point shooting and ball handling off the bench.
My guess is Iowa liked the Murrays upside better, with kind of the same developmental plan. They shouldn’t take Born over Ulis, Ogendele or Perkins. I agree they need to recruit some role players. Idk enough about ISU

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Didn’t everyone basically say bohannon would just be a shooter off the bench?

I laugh at people that say they won’t be able to get their shot off at the college level. They’re not going to be asked to take guys 1 on 1. Can he hit 3s in transition? Can he make shots on kick outs? If there are other guys that can make shots in the team he would be fine as a bench player or starter.

If he’s on a roster that the previous Iowa coach assembled he would struggle.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

I laugh at people that say they won’t be able to get their shot off at the college level. They’re not going to be asked to take guys 1 on 1. Can he hit 3s in transition? Can he make shots on kick outs? If there are other guys that can make shots in the team he would be fine as a bench player or starter.

I agree offensively he should be fine, and shooters are super valuable, especially if they can handle the ball. But Fran offered bohannon, and chose the Murrays over Born. Maybe that is a mistake but it isn’t obvious to me.

eclone

Reaction score
some highlights from last night:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It’s not obvious. He’ll be a nice player and every time he hits a big three or has a good game there will be people bitching that Fran should have offered.
It'll be just like scheduling UNI. If Born has a nice game, people will forget about him struggling in previous games.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Probably not getting those in the douche

eclone

Reaction score
Those were some pretty weak and-1 calls.
High school refs suck.

After going to only college games the last 10 years, I started going to the local high school games as my kids are old enough to be interested this year. It took me two games to just give up on complaining about the ticky tack shit that HS refs call.

The final straw for me was when one called a 3 second call on a kid that was standing with one foot in the lane waiting for he PG to dribble up court. PG just crosses half court, offense and defense post players just standing there and whistle blown going the other way. Now I just sit there with the rest of the brain washed high school crowd and assume that's a normal way to ref basketball.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Born is good, but he is going right where he will thrive the most.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I don’t really remember people saying that. If that were the case they would’ve been far less concern about offering bohannon.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He will be a good fit at Northern Iowa considering that Jacobson has given up on coaching defense

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
It'd be nice if halo could take a collective stance on Born so I'd know to plan on him becoming the opposite. Surely doug can will this thing one way or the other.

Reaction score

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He was 4 for 5 at the line before I turned it on. He promptly missed his next 4 free throws. That's enough of that.

Reaction score
He was 4 for 5 at the line before I turned it on. He promptly missed his next 4 free throws. That's enough of that.
Yeah he got fouled hard and landed on a shoulder before that. He keeps swinging the arm and trying to stretch it..

This Central team has a SF headed to Louisville and Nigel Pack, going to KSU as a PG. Iowa recruited him then backed off and went in on Uhlis.

Reaction score
They have a PG who is quicker than shit that has had a big game, but they're giving it to Perkins to bring it up against pressure all 4th quarter.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
just went down the rabbit hole of looking up recruiting rankings while sitting here acting like I'm listening.

these were all top 100 recruits: brian garner, james moses, jay webb, greg helmers, jeff walker, j.r. koch

jfc

eclone

Reaction score
just went down the rabbit hole of looking up recruiting rankings while sitting here acting like I'm listening.

these were all top 100 recruits: brian garner, james moses, jay webb, greg helmers, jeff walker, j.r. koch

jfc
James Moses doesn't deserve to be on that JFC list. I bet he was better than you remember.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
James Moses doesn't deserve to be on that JFC list. I bet he was better than you remember.
he was really good, but didn't turn out to be the point machine he was projected to be (he was california's leading scorer as a senior in hs).

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
anyway, some ogundele sightings

Last edited:
Reaction score
E. J. Anosike announced he will grad transfer. He’s a 6-6 forward who averaged 16 and 12 playing at Sacred Heart (same conference as Robert Morris, Mt. Saint Mary’s, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc.).

I haven’t seen anything linking him to Iowa, but his brother O. D. Anosike played for Coach Fran at Siena and came to Iowa City after his playing days to visit his former coach.

I know the roster is pretty full right now, but if a couple players decide not to return, he could be a name to keep an eye on.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Another part of the equation would be Nunges ACL recovery and the future of Patrick.

I'll never say never anymore