2020 recruiting

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
As we’ve discussed, the knock on Ogundele seems to be stamina/motor. Not surprising for a teenager, especially one who is probably carrying some bad weight. Getting abused by Garza and having to play hard every possession in practice against him should really benefit him

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
As we’ve discussed, the knock on Ogundele seems to be stamina/motor. Not surprising for a teenager, especially one who is probably carrying some bad weight. Getting abused by Garza and having to play hard every possession in practice against him should really benefit him
Having a guy like Luka could improve the culture of the entire program for years to come.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Kris's tape looked rock-solid, a 150-250 player.

If someone showed me Keegan's tape and told me I was watching a top-30 recruit, I would have no reason to doubt it.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
My favorite part of those videos is the random fan/coach/person walking on to the court mad as Keegan gets an easy bucket.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Trust Fran

We really have been spoiled recently with recruiting. Football and basketball stars haven’t meant shit.

Well, Eppy....

Reaction score
E. J. Anosike announced he will grad transfer. He’s a 6-6 forward who averaged 16 and 12 playing at Sacred Heart (same conference as Robert Morris, Mt. Saint Mary’s, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc.).

I haven’t seen anything linking him to Iowa, but his brother O. D. Anosike played for Coach Fran at Siena and came to Iowa City after his playing days to visit his former coach.

I know the roster is pretty full right now, but if a couple players decide not to return, he could be a name to keep an eye on.
Anosike landed at Tennessee.

Reaction score
Rivals analyst has Ulis as one of 10 guys under-hyped nationally:

“I wrote about him some during the winter, but Ulis really blew me away when I saw him in late January. He was bigger than I thought, much better offensively than I had realized and he embraces competition in a way most high schoolers don't. Iowa has been pretty good at finding guys that others have passed on, and I feel there's a strong possibility Ulis could ultimately get his revenge on many Big Ten programs that didn't prioritize him a little more.”

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

“I wrote about him some during the winter, but Ulis really blew me away when I saw him in late January. He was bigger than I thought, much better offensively than I had realized and he embraces competition in a way most high schoolers don't. Iowa has been pretty good at finding guys that others have passed on, and I feel there's a strong possibility Ulis could ultimately get his revenge on many Big Ten programs that didn't prioritize him a little more.”

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I read that and noticed most of not all of the others were 4 star guys. What I'm enjoying most from the Ulis pub is that 99% of the talk is his impressive performances, almost no assumption he'll be good because of who his brother is.

Reaction score
A mistake the recruiting sites make over and over is putting too much emphasis on things that jump out in a grassroots setting, like quickness, leaping ability and physique.

A kid like Ulis isn’t going to blow you away when you’re looking for a someone breaking ankles 1-on-1 and throwing down multiple monster dunks.

But if you watch him in a competitive, structured situation like a high school game, you’re going to see all the things he does to help his team win. Ulis definitely had some big stat games against tough competition, but I remember several times when he’d have something like 18 points and 4 assists and the reporters would talk about how he completely controlled the game from start to finish.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Imagine in November 2019 telling people that Fran McCaffery and Greg Gard would not only have complete safety in their employment, but would go into November 2020 having consensus Top 10 teams. People would drag you away to the insane asylum.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
A mistake the recruiting sites make over and over is putting too much emphasis on things that jump out in a grassroots setting, like quickness, leaping ability and physique.

A kid like Ulis isn’t going to blow you away when you’re looking for a someone breaking ankles 1-on-1 and throwing down multiple monster dunks.

But if you watch him in a competitive, structured situation like a high school game, you’re going to see all the things he does to help his team win. Ulis definitely had some big stat games against tough competition, but I remember several times when he’d have something like 18 points and 4 assists and the reporters would talk about how he completely controlled the game from start to finish.
Sounds exactly like the reports on Monte Morris coming out of high school. He had a little more high school success and therefor was higher rated...but recruiting ranks certainly don’t emphasize things like controlling the game and making teammates better.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Kind of unrelated but sports center tweeted out a video of the old guy who is teammates with the Murray twins

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
His family, friends, teammates, and coaches are doing that kid a disservice by not telling/forcing him to shave his head.
A 45 year old man shouldn't be doing everything his momma wants.

Reaction score
i really like the idea Connor continuing to start at the 4 next year with Wiesy at 3 and then some combo of Toussaint/Jbo and Frederick with the bulk of the minutes at 1/2. Not sure where Ulis get minutes although now that he's a 4* you can't really project him at less than 10 ppg.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
How does a recruit jump 32 spots in the rankings,10 weeks into a global pandemic where everyone other than Wieskamp is locked out of the gyms?
I think Bossi said they were going to do more in depth film review.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I can’t fucking believe how good our guard depth has become.

I also can’t believe that Connor McCaffery still has two years of college ball left to play.
You can't believe it? The sweet tears of opponents fans next year over JBo, and then the Connor ones to follow are going to be glorious!