**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Reaction score
Ulis's body type and abilities remind me of a young Pierre Pierce. PP was very raw that first year when he was the only point guard after Dean O left. Later of course he became incredibly dynamic and really packed on the muscle and could really abuse smaller guards down low. They frankly have similar size and builds. Ulis, like Pierce did back in the day, uses his superior strength and just outmuscles people down low sometimes. Let's hope he progresses like PP did and by senior year we may have a monster power guard on our hands.

there. i said it. this has been weighing on me for some time.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Ulis's body type and abilities remind me of a young Pierre Pierce. PP was very raw that first year when he was the only point guard after Dean O left. Later of course he became incredibly dynamic and really packed on the muscle and could really abuse smaller guards down low. They frankly have similar size and builds. Ulis, like Pierce did back in the day, uses his superior strength and just outmuscles people down low sometimes. Let's hope he progresses like PP did and by senior year we may have a monster power guard on our hands.

Let's also hope Ulis doesn't develop into a POS rapist like PP

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score

hmm I don’t agree at all

Reaction score
I went back and looked at stats. Pp avged 4+ turnovers a game his final, truncated year. Also shot a terrible 55% or so at the line. I had forgotten about those aspects of his game. Not ulis like in those respects.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The Ulis/PP comparison is quite literally one of the worst of all time on the board. I would like to see Jim choose between a ban and kicking himself in the ballsac
No shit. It's a terrible comparison on every level. Ulis and Pierce have nothing in common except being black and having braids.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He’s a huge attention whore douche, but he’s our huge attention whore douche.

douglasbader

Reaction score
there will be 7-8 games yet this year that you are ready to jack him off.

At least half of those will be because of his basketball abilities.
I know you are half serious, but I really was hoping as a SIXTH year senior with a SG with the biggest green light ever would be able to have at least 6 or 7 games during the season where he was really effective and hit 5-6 threes in a game.

So far through 16 games this season he has been a difference making factor in ONE fucking game. Virginia. That's it.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
We really got screwed on scheduling but the different between weekend and weekday games is fucking crazy.

thousands of open seats for Illinois. PSU is gonna sell out.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We really got screwed on scheduling but the different between weekend and weekday games is fucking crazy.

thousands of open seats for Illinois. PSU is gonna sell out.
I think it is just the way it is at this point in 2022. All the reasons have been mentioned before why it is the way it is. Every game is on TV, they mostly start at 8pm on the weekdays, cavernous 15k+ arena that is hard to access with shitty parking, bad weather, etc....

You pretty much have to be insane to drive to a game during the week if you live anywhere but the immediate areas surrounding Iowa City, especially if you have kids that aren't going to get home and be in bed until around midnight.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Agree with most of that, but it doesn’t explain why we only get 3 home weekend dates.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I think it is just the way it is at this point in 2022. All the reasons have been mentioned before why it is the way it is. Every game is on TV, they mostly start at 8pm on the weekdays, cavernous 15k+ arena that is hard to access with shitty parking, bad weather, etc....

You pretty much have to be insane to drive to a game during the week if you live anywhere but the immediate areas surrounding Iowa City, especially if you have kids that aren't going to get home and be in bed until around midnight.
I really haven’t been watching other teams so I don’t know the answer, but are other major programs having the same attendance issues for their weeknight games?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I really haven’t been watching other teams so I don’t know the answer, but are other major programs having the same attendance issues for their weeknight games?
In general in game attendance is down. Less so at MSU, Indiana and the loke

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
They also benefit from most of their games being stream only and closer to Des Moines.
Maybe you are right regarding streaming, but it’s hard for me to imagine someone attending a game in person they normally wouldn’t so they don’t have to pay ESPN five dollars.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Maybe you are right regarding streaming, but it’s hard for me to imagine someone attending a game in person they normally wouldn’t so they don’t have to pay ESPN five dollars.
especially when a shitload of people have the Disney app

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think it is mostly apples and oranges. Iowa, Penn State and Illinois all have population issues.

Wisconsin - State Capitol and 250k+ residents and students in the immediate area
Purdue - 182k+ metro area plus student plus 45 minutes from Indianapolis.
Northwestern - Chicago metro area
Minnesota - right in the middle of the Twin Cities
Michigan - 120k+ immediate population and Detroit is minutes away
Michigan State - small immediate population, but have multiple hubs to draw from plus their blue blood success
Rutgers - in New Jersey and near NYC but who cares
Maryland - huge Washington D.C. metro area
Ohio State - nearly 1m people now in the City of Columbus
Nebrantska - 500k+ in the area plus a beautiful new arena
Indiana - blue blood tradition and Indianapolis is about an hour away

Iowa has to draw from one of smallest areas and Des Moines is nearly 2 hours away.

It is why we have had multiple thread on what the dream scenario would be for Iowa Basketball, and mostly it comes back to wanting to get a new arena that seats maybe 10k and have it either in a much more accessible area or Downtown where it would be a major draw for students and others. If all they are going to get going forward is 3 weekend games per Big Ten season, there is zero reason to have a 15k+ arena.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I think it is mostly apples and oranges. Iowa, Penn State and Illinois all have population issues.

Wisconsin - State Capitol and 250k+ residents and students in the immediate area
Purdue - 182k+ metro area plus student plus 45 minutes from Indianapolis.
Northwestern - Chicago metro area
Minnesota - right in the middle of the Twin Cities
Michigan - 120k+ immediate population and Detroit is minutes away
Michigan State - small immediate population, but have multiple hubs to draw from plus their blue blood success
Rutgers - in New Jersey and near NYC but who cares
Maryland - huge Washington D.C. metro area
Ohio State - nearly 1m people now in the City of Columbus
Nebrantska - 500k+ in the area plus a beautiful new arena
Indiana - blue blood tradition and Indianapolis is about an hour away

Iowa has to draw from one of smallest areas and Des Moines is nearly 2 hours away.

It is why we have had multiple thread on what the dream scenario would be for Iowa Basketball, and mostly it comes back to wanting to get a new arena that seats maybe 10k and have it either in a much more accessible area or Downtown where it would be a major draw for students and others. If all they are going to get going forward is 3 weekend games per Big Ten season, there is zero reason to have a 15k+ arena.
Your MSA population numbers are all mixed up.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Not counting students aren’t there like 250k people between Iowa City area and Cedar Rapids?

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
The Iowa City/Cedar Rapids MSA population was 262,000 8 years ago

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Iowa needs to start drawing students. 50 students at a game is sad
Correct. In their defense, the pre-big ten schedule was, to put it nicely, shit. They’ve been on break for the past month. Hope it picks up.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The students that have worked for me the last 8 years have all basically either go to the football games or would head downtown to watch.

Only 2 of them knew anything about basketball and that’s because one went to high school with bohannon and she hates him. The other was kinda weird and ended up moving to China to teach English. I’m pretty sure he never came back.

Unless they plan on moving the arena closer to downtown the student problem won’t be fixed outside of games against Iowa State and maybe Illinois.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Clones are averaging 12,000 fans per home game.

Iowa is averaging 10,400.

Iowa State has played 3 top 25 teams plus Iowa and Oregon State at home.

Iowa has played 0 top 25 teams (at the time) and no power 5 team out of conference.

I’d say Iowa isn’t doing that bad in comparison.