**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
I'm curious why people think Bowen is the real deal other than Fran had him as a priority target early, which I admit is something. Is he a good three point shooter, lightning quick, or a great passer who doesn't turn it over? It's hard to tell much from a highlight tape. He does look like he has ability to get in the paint but still looks too thin for the Big Ten.
1. He plays well against good HS competition.
2. He’s not related to the coaching staff and is not a native Iowa (see #1).
3. He’s not white (see #2).
4. He has a respectable offer list by Iowa commit standards
5. He has a cool name (see #3).
6. The last Bowen we had went on to have a long NBA career.
QED

Reaction score
I'm curious why people think Bowen is the real deal other than Fran had him as a priority target early, which I admit is something. Is he a good three point shooter, lightning quick, or a great passer who doesn't turn it over? It's hard to tell much from a highlight tape. He does look like he has ability to get in the paint but still looks too thin for the Big Ten.
I can’t speak for anyone else here, but I believe he’ll be a 4 year AA and lead us to the promised land because I choose hope, and want to be devastatingly crestfallen when we miss the expectations I’ve set.

And because when I was 15, I made a player on a CBB video game who’s last name was Bowen and he did this for Iowa. Just seems too much like destiny at this point.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
A combination of offers and Fran prioritizing his recruitment.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Think of all the guys Fran has offered really early. I can think of like two out of a couple hundred that did not end up being studs, Seth Bonifas and Peyton Allen.

B19Rob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Recruiting rankings are not an exact science but there's also no way to know individually in advance when they're wrong, so rationally the only thing to conclude is that you'd generally prefer higher ranked players.
My original point was that just because two recruits have a similar ranking, it does not mean they will have similar development curves and outcomes, i.e. Ulis and Bowen. One reason I am much higher on Bowen is because he was a priority recruit for Fran whereas Ulis was not. Not claiming to be a professional scout, but just watching their senior highlight videos, Bowen does a lot of things that Ulis could not. His quickness with the ball and ability to beat his primary defender off the dribble are very good. He gets to the basket and finishes with either hand, in traffic and at unusual angles; better than any guard I've seen under Fran. He gets downhill and puts a ton of pressure on the defense, which should free up cutting lanes, dump offs, and ultimately give the shooters more space. He is a little thin and his defense and jump shot are question marks at this stage, but his upside is tantalizing.

Compare that to Ulis' senior tape, which is made up of mostly jump shots. He was unable to take his defender off the dribble when facing a set defense in the half court. I don't dislike Ulis, he plays good defense and doesn't make a ton of mistakes (besides a few real wtf moments), but he doesn't have star potential. He reminds me of Sapp, who was an important player in his time at Iowa.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Think of all the guys Fran has offered really early. I can think of like two out of a couple hundred that did not end up being studs, Seth Bonifas and Peyton Allen.
Wasn’t real early in the process but there was a forward out of Texas that he offered and his other offers were basically DII. Also one of the first recruits he went after was that pg in New York with the first name Shaq or something like that.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If Katenda hadn't ended up blind in one eye he probably would have been pretty good.

Reaction score
Cezar Guerrero!
Devin Coleman!
Eric Katenda!
God I forgot those names and how excited we collectively were to be in the hunt.

We were basically coming off watching a 10 win Todd The Criminal team with a recruiting class of the below.

Cully Payne
Andrew Brommer
Brennan Cougill
Devon Archie
Eric May

Fucking kill me before Iowa basketball stoops that low again.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
God I forgot those names and how excited we collectively were to be in the hunt.

We were basically coming off watching a 10 win Todd The Criminal team with a recruiting class of the below.

Cully Payne
Andrew Brommer
Brennan Cougill
Devon Archie
Eric May

Remember, Robert T Howe picked a fight with our new coach for supposedly pulling Coleman’s offer.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Cully Payne
Andrew Brommer
Brennan Cougill
Devon Archie
Eric May

Jeeeeeeezus.

It's easy to forget just how vast the smoking crater that Fuckface and the Criminal left behind was. Like, the only one of those recruits that was worth a shit was May, and even he was, objectively speaking, only good in comparison to the dumpster fire he came in with. I mean, my God, Cully Payne was getting a goddamn basketball scholarship. Cully fucking Payne. (I can already hear IowaFan starting to shriek about how May was one of Fran's foundation guys and high character and high motor, and I won't argue that he had a substantial impact in the early Fran years, but he'd be Austin Ash in terms of playing time on last year's team regardless of what he meant to the early Fran teams.)

(And now I'm mad again, and not even at The Criminal. The dolt may have been a shitty coach and recruiter but what he was handed was basically set into place by that greasy sniveling Indiana fuck we fired Tom Davis to hire in 1999. Fuck him and what he did to this program, and my dearest wish is for Fran to get just one chance at a team that piece of shit coaches one day (preferably at Carver, where the shitbag can get the welcoming-back he so richly deserves as a side to the violent non-consensual sodomy he'll get from the home team.))

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Zach McCabe had better advanced stats than May.

Fuckin McCabe yo

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
I will not watch a single game next year if Ash is on scholarship. Fuck that.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Eric May being an NFL tight end is only outdone by the legend of Jake Duzey in somewhat recent Iowa message board lore.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Patrick is gonna be good/great and Connor is fine...BUT, I would NOT want to join this team at either of their positions.