**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Right. More wins make people happier. But “let’s say they win” isn’t a relevant argument. They didn’t win. You don’t get points for being close.
If the Raiders had just scored 4 more touchdowns they could have been 12-4 last year and hosted some playoff games. So what?
I don't disagree. Just saying that it's been pretty close. And that, having NCAA tournament success is a bit of a misnomer in terms of what constitutes a successful season.

Is Oregon State really one of the 8 best teams in the country? It's why best of seven series are far better than one game tournaments. I understand obviously that this isn't realistic for college hoops though.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't disagree. Just saying that it's been pretty close. And that, having NCAA tournament success is a bit of a misnomer in terms of what constitutes a successful season.

Is Oregon State really one of the 8 best teams in the country? It's why best of seven series are far better than one game tournaments. I understand obviously that this isn't realistic for college hoops though.
This is where we come back to @FrodoTBaggin's point. In a given year, should you draw too many conclusions from the tournament? No. If you haven't made the Sweet 16 in decades, can you draw some conclusions? Sure.

thrawn

Reaction score
I want to say Angle was really highly rated when he committed as like a sophomore and by the time he got to Iowa City everyone thought he sucked.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Folks obviously have vastly different opinions of what mediocre vs good is. Iowa should be happy with where they're at and hold on to Fran with a death grip.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting a more athletic team that can actually defend at least a little bit. Or hiring someone to focus solely on that. Fran will always figure out ways to score points. His style won't allow his teams to contend for a B10 regular season conference championship as is (and that's ok for what the program is and the style of basketball he likes to play).
dude we like just contended for a big ten championship

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I want to submit a claim to OCC for Haluska’s recruiting ranking. I thought he was top 100/150 with Brunner and Horner.
I must not understand the list order. There are others far down the list.
Yeah, something is messed up there. Shows him from Iowa City for High School instead of Carroll and doesn't have his year at ISU on the profile. HE was definitely a much higher recruit out of HS. It was the first year or two of 247, so might be the issue.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Haluska, Horner, and Bruner were all top 75. Then Jacobson and Funk were in the same class.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Update: he did
I saw Angle at Los Portales his senior year and he was with a babe. I also saw Andrew Brommer at the Principal Charity Classic with a babe. It doesn't take much.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I want to say Angle was really highly rated when he committed as like a sophomore and by the time he got to Iowa City everyone thought he sucked.
IIRC, he was a coach's son who's stats were padded because his dad ran the offense through him. Supposedly one time he was on the bench at the end of a blowout and his dad was yelling at the players on the court to "run the offense" so they threw the ball to JR on the bench.

SuperHans

Reaction score
IIRC, he was a coach's son who's stats were padded because his dad ran the offense through him. Supposedly one time he was on the bench at the end of a blowout and his dad was yelling at the players on the court to "run the offense" so they threw the ball to JR on the bench.
I heard the same story

thrawn

Reaction score
Yeah I remembered something vaguely like that, couldn’t think of the details.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
If you don’t think iowa competed for a conference title this year I have no desire to argue anything related to expectations with you. We got every teams best shot every night and had a very tough schedule. Not to mention injuries.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
When was the last day of the year that Iowa had a reasonable chance (not just a mathematical possibility) of winning the Conference?
Wade will argue until Michigan had like 3 games left probably. In reality, it was when Iowa went and got their doors blown off in Ann arbor. So graciously, i guess with 6 games to go. But in reality it was the second time they lost to Indiana, whenever that was.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa was pretty much out of it after they lost to Illinois.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
If you don’t think iowa competed for a conference title this year I have no desire to argue anything related to expectations with you. We got every teams best shot every night and had a very tough schedule. Not to mention injuries.
They were out after they lost to Michigan, and even before that they had really long odds. They played great down the stretch and showed great character, but it wasn’t *that* close.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
They were out after they lost to Michigan, and even before that they had really long odds. They played great down the stretch and showed great character, but it wasn’t *that* close.
I didn’t say it was close. But they were one of a handful of teams that could actually compete for the title this year. Michigan ended up better than expected AND had favorable scheduling.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
I don’t care. I want bags of money thrown at anyone worth a shit.

SuperHans

Reaction score
This guy seems like a good piece. Glad to see they’re in the market.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He played for VCU then transferred to TT, I'm assuming he can really defend.

Reaction score
He’s a really solid player. I’m guessing he’s going to have a bunch of big options but he’d be a great fit for us aside from not having any range. That’s fine though.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Good rebounder, blocks a lot of shots. Efficient enough on 2s for a post guy. I'd take him in a heartbeat at this point.

Reaction score
Kiyron Powell is a guy who committed to Houston but got very little playing time this year as a freshman. He seemed to really like the Iowa staff during the recruiting process. Could be a name of interest if he enters the portal.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
It would really suck as a coach to have to recruit for 10 players every year instead if 2 or 3. If a player gets their feelings hurt as at any level they will leave. This is the future of NCAA basketball unfortunately.

Since Iowa doesn't have a bagman, we will be behind. Football will be the same.