**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
now that he’s gone can you share any details?
Nah. He’s a kid, a semi-public figure because he plays sports, but he’s a kid. Leave it alone.

The “lmao” was directed at all the adults that rushed to defend (that Illinois thread, woof) a player they’ve never met and have absolutely no knowledge of beyond the 2 hours they watched him play on TV the other week. I hate to go all Doug here, but we’re sort of uniquely Iowan that way. I think it’s a combination of having zero pro sports and nearly every one of us having actually gone to the school.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Nah. He’s a kid, a semi-public figure because he plays sports, but he’s a kid. Leave it alone.

The “lmao” was directed at all the adults that rushed to defend (that Illinois thread, woof) a player they’ve never met and have absolutely no knowledge of beyond the 2 hours they watched him play on TV the other week. I hate to go all Doug here, but we’re sort of uniquely Iowan that way. I think it’s a combination of having zero pro sports and nearly every one of us having actually gone to the school.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...he's a homosexual.

Reaction score
I don’t believe one teammate has sent out anything on social media which is an automatic in 99% of transfers these days. Cook and Pemsl are the only ones who have done the good luck deal.

thrawn

Reaction score

“good kid” for a college sports fans means they achieve 3 of the following 4:

- gave a nice interview
- white
- no visible tattoos
- 1 or fewer career technicals

Reaction score
“good kid” for a college sports fans means they achieve 3 of the following 4:

- gave a nice interview
- white
- no visible tattoos
- 1 or fewer career technicals
Fuck off with that race-baiting bullshit. The only point on your list with any merit is 1.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Clemmons, Olaseni, Basabe, Cook, Murray, Bakari, Marble and Jok were all good kids. Touissaint hasn't run to mommy because he didn't get enough playing time so he appears to be a solid role model as well.

Pretty sure I just listed every non white player in Frans Iowa tenure.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Clemmons, Olaseni, Basabe, Cook, Murray, Bakari, Marble and Jok were all good kids. Touissaint hasn't run to mommy because he didn't get enough playing time so he appears to be a solid role model as well.

Pretty sure I just listed every non white player in Frans Iowa tenure.
And you can go back to previous staffs' rosters, or over to the football team. Pretty much every kid that played for Iowa was considered a 'good kid' unless he proved himself not a 'good kid'.

Reaction score
This tweet, trying to play the martyr, after all the rumor solely from his side, is such bullshit. I’m sure the media will run with it blaming Fran somehow, or the program in general.
I’m wondering if there won’t be some inside come out about what happened with his injury and his reaction to it pissing off the staff and his teammates. He obviously got really out of shape and was completely ineffective down the stretch.

In college athletics if you are hurt and out, that means you work harder than you originally did when you were healthy so you can get your ass back on the court/field/mat, whatever.
If the staff saw that he wasn’t doing the things they were asking of him while he was out, there very easily could have been conversations about whether he should still be there or not.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I’m wondering if there won’t be some inside come out about what happened with his injury and his reaction to it pissing off the staff and his teammates. He obviously got really out of shape and was completely ineffective down the stretch.

In college athletics if you are hurt and out, that means you work harder than you originally did when you were healthy so you can get your ass back on the court/field/mat, whatever.
If the staff saw that he wasn’t doing the things they were asking of him while he was out, there very easily could have been conversations about whether he should still be there or not.
I mean that’s possible but then no way Fran would have been blind sided.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I still think we’ll be better next season than many on here seem to think.
19.5 wins. You taking the over or under? Does not include any postseason games. Just the 31 or so regular season games.

Reactions: BBK

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score

I know what you're alluding to, and you're full of shit.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If the O/U is 16.5, what would it have been with CJ? 17.5?

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
If the O/U is 16.5, what would it have been with CJ? 17.5?
That's the funny thing here. We lose CJ Fucking Fredrick and the sky is falling.

If the sky is falling, it's because we lost Luka and might lose Joe W. Not because of CJ and Jbo, both of whom fucking sucked last year and are the reason why the team underachieved.

Did anyone watch the Gonzaga, Michigan, Illinois, and Oregon games? This program isn't going any further with non-athletes in the backcourt.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That's the funny thing here. We lose CJ Fucking Fredrick and the sky is falling.

If the sky is falling, it's because we lost Luka and might lose Joe W. Not because of CJ and Jbo, both of whom fucking sucked last year and are the reason why the team underachieved.

Did anyone watch the Gonzaga, Michigan, Illinois, and Oregon games? This program isn't going any further with non-athletes in the backcourt.
So, over?

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I want to run and press teams into oblivion with next year’s team. I think the roster is perfect for that and while I’m not saying you push CJ out the door, he doesn’t really add much in that area. We will miss the shooting and he did carry himself in a way that most of us really liked. If he wanted to utilize this stupid transfer rule and go closer to home to a much bigger program, then so be it. I will not root against him individually.

Unlike Shawnee, I expect big things from Ulis and was concerned he may transfer out. This opens up a lot more minutes for him and I think he is a key player next season. Ulis, Joe T., Perkins, Patrick and the Murray twins. There’s a lot to like there IMO. I wouldn’t bet on them to hit that over of 19.5 mentioned above, but wouldn’t be stunned if they did.

Clamp down on D. Get out and run. CCMF.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I want to run and press teams into oblivion with next year’s team. I think the roster is perfect for that and while I’m not saying you push CJ out the door, he doesn’t really add much in that area. We will miss the shooting and he did carry himself in a way that most of us really liked. If he wanted to utilize this stupid transfer rule and go closer to home to a much bigger program, then so be it. I will not root against him individually.

Unlike Shawnee, I expect big things from Ulis and was concerned he may transfer out. This opens up a lot more minutes for him and I think he is a key player next season. Ulis, Joe T., Perkins, Patrick and the Murray twins. There’s a lot to like there IMO. I wouldn’t bet on them to hit that over of 19.5 mentioned above, but wouldn’t be stunned if they did.

Clamp down on D. Get out and run. CCMF.
I think the team has much more defensive talent now than before. However, still really young and still a bit unsure about PG and C. I think somewhere around 17 or 18 wins is likely. Book your NIT tickets now folks.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I think the team has much more defensive talent now than before. However, still really young and still a bit unsure about PG and C. I think somewhere around 17 or 18 wins is likely. Book your NIT tickets now folks.
The ceiling is 18 wins
I’m guessing 10-14

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
How in the hell is this going to be a team that wins 19+ games? Who is scoring? They may be the worst shooting team in the conference. Sure their defense will be better but that is only by Fran standards. Better probably gets them into the middle of the conference defensively. Assuming the Big Ten is good again, 9-11 would be a major accomplishment with this roster. That means they went 10-1 in the non-conference. Beyond unlikely.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Yea my concern with this team is that the offense isn’t going to be good enough to not worry about defense and just outscore teams. The offense won’t be shitty, because Fran. But I seriously doubt the defense is going to be good enough to make up the difference, because Fran.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
How in the hell is this going to be a team that wins 19+ games? Who is scoring? They may be the worst shooting team in the conference. Sure their defense will be better but that is only by Fran standards. Better probably gets them into the middle of the conference defensively. Assuming the Big Ten is good again, 9-11 would be a major accomplishment with this roster. That means they went 10-1 in the non-conference. Beyond unlikely.
this is a good point. They were set up to be a drive and kick style offensive team. They have nobody to kick it to now aside from Sandfort. No idea how Ulis jump shot is. A few guys are going to have to become serviceable shooters this season for us not to go through those insufferable scoring droughts that even good offensive teams have gone through under Fran.

on the plus side I think it’s being understated how much better defensively this team will be. I think they’re going to block a lot of shots at the rim too.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Yes, they are capable of playing good D but seriously, that roster as it stands now is horrific offensively.

though I think that can also make this upcoming season fun. Maybe someone(s) become a stud and average 13-15 a game for us. We all need to hope the guys we have all bust their ass working on their games this offseason.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
The defense will not be better. Maybe on the perimeter but blacker does not automatically mean better, just quicker. Experience matters. Depth matters. Not to mention there's going to be a gaping hole in the middle of that defense.

Who's going to rebound other than the Murray bros? Not Patrick.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The ceiling is 18 wins
I’m guessing 10-14
Anything can happen, but if this team stays healthy they are going to win more than 10 games. That would be Fran's lowest win total ever. Keegan will take a big step forward as will Patrick. Kris Murray should be decent and the perimeter defense will be better. How much is to be determined.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
scanning through the transfer portal, looks like the odds are pretty long that fran is going to get a decent big to come to iowa.

probably going to get some gornstar-wannabe motherfucker from DII