**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The Criminal won 10 games with Cully Payne and Brennan Cougill.

Without knowing who they fill the 3 open spots with its hard to predict anything at the moment. What happens if they sign someone like Mac McClung?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I know Connor is not a great shooter, but he still shot better than Have Kalscheur, who cyclone fans are absolutely rubbing themselves raw over.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
100% disagree.

If/when you put this group on the floor the defense is light years ahead of last year’s squad.

Joe T or Ulis
Perkins
Patrick M
Kris M
Keegan M
Yeah but as far as I can tell you never end up being right about anything.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Beyond the sack of money, I don't know how these coaches are going to stand this shit. Jarryd Cole is right, good luck being an actual coach and leader of young men that tries to develop any real qualities in people.

Now every coach has to sit there and constantly wonder if they should actually coach and teach these players, or if they need to just placate them because Johnny and Jrue are going to get upset and run away the first time they get yelled at.

Fuck this shit. It's going to be such a garbage product even more than it is now.

Reaction score
Apparently Kriener deleted his “good luck, don’t worry about the twitter trolls” tweet. Likely after getting informed of how it went down.

CJ sure pissed off everyone on his way out like nobody I’ve seen.

Reaction score
How in the hell is this going to be a team that wins 19+ games? Who is scoring? They may be the worst shooting team in the conference. Sure their defense will be better but that is only by Fran standards. Better probably gets them into the middle of the conference defensively. Assuming the Big Ten is good again, 9-11 would be a major accomplishment with this roster. That means they went 10-1 in the non-conference. Beyond unlikely.
Since you’re so sure about this you must have the final roster for 21-22 handy. Feel free to let the rest of us know who is going to be on the team.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve even begun to quantify how devastating this will be for hundreds of and hundreds of young athletes. Young men that might have had the opportunity to develop in to successful individuals outside of a career and sports are going to get chewed up and spit out by this new machine
Maybe it will help keep the rental car prices low as they will be cheap employees.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Since you’re so sure about this you must have the final roster for 21-22 handy. Feel free to let the rest of us know who is going to be on the team.
Sure Bob. We only post facts on message boards. No room for speculation.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This isn't a knock on Fran, but he hasn't had much luck bringing in impact transfers. I assume they get a marginal big guy, maybe someone else. I don't expect the roster to be drastically different.

If Iowa is going to surprise, it'll be due to improvement from current players.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Overall a little too much GETTING PISSED at CJ's decision. He was a good, but not great player.

He's a kid. No one above the age of 22 should be saying "fuck that guy."

It is fine to criticize college players. It is fine to be a little frustrated at players transferring.

But he's 21, have a little perspective. We are a bunch of 30-55 year old men. Kids make decisions on impulse. You did too. Let it go.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Overall a little too much GETTING PISSED at CJ's decision. He was a good, but not great player.

He's a kid. No one above the age of 22 should be saying "fuck that guy."

It is fine to criticize college players. It is fine to be a little frustrated at players transferring.

But he's 21, have a little perspective. We are a bunch of 30-55 year old men. Kids make decisions on impulse. You did too. Let it go.
Gotta call bullshit on pretty much all of this. The whole reason CJ is getting shit is because it wasn't an impulse decision. He clearly was recruited by Kentucky via his family at the latest mid way through the season. His uncle let that cat out of the bag.

He lied. He acted like a fucking pussy. Fuck him.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Must I remind all of you racist fucks that Iowa could start 4 black guys next year and 6 of our top 8 will be black. Not to mention, based on the free year rule, they are all freshmen and sophomores next year. That's something to get excited about if you ask me.
we will also likely start 3 rivals 4* players alongside an all-frosh freshman. Has connor played up to 4* status, no, but it’s not like we are devoid of talent. I also expect murray to be a pretty common jump in 3pt% from year 1 to year 2.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Gotta call bullshit on pretty much all of this. The whole reason CJ is getting shit is because it wasn't an impulse decision. He clearly was recruited by Kentucky via his family at the latest mid way through the season. His uncle let that cat out of the bag.

He lied. He acted like a fucking pussy. Fuck him.
The sun will rise in the morning, papi.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
At the time I thought it was weird how involved uncle Joe was in CJs recruitment. Pretty clear now that Joe Fredrick is a real piece of shit who has some weird agenda and may be trying to live vicariously through his nephew.

I would guess Fran is disappointed in CJ, but fucking livid with Joe. We know how important loyalty is to Fran and he has to feel like he was stabbed in the back on this one.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I do think there is a chance that Perkins and Sandfort play pretty well. It’s a bummer no doubt and CJ is a stud when healthy. But I’m also excited to see the result of Perkins, Keegan, Pat and some of the other young guys preparing all off season knowing this is their team now. It’s going to be an athletic renaissance and it seems like this would be a pretty close knit group, since really all of the old guys are gone. I don’t think all is lost.

douglasbader

Reaction score
CJ fucked Fran and he knew he was fucking Fran. Fuck him.
Ultimately this is actually true and the worst part of all of this. If he knew for this long he was going to leave and go to Kentucky, then he should have been man enough to tell Fran immediately and give Iowa the chance to pick up the best possible replacement.

He waited long enough that a lot of the best players are already committed somewhere else. Fuck him.

Reaction score
At the time I thought it was weird how involved uncle Joe was in CJs recruitment. Pretty clear now that Joe Fredrick is a real piece of shit who has some weird agenda and may be trying to live vicariously through his nephew.

I would guess Fran is disappointed in CJ, but fucking livid with Joe. We know how important loyalty is to Fran and he has to feel like he was stabbed in the back on this one.
Well, Connor liked this tweet....

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score

Joe Fredrick considers Fran McCaffery a close friend after having played at Notre Dame with Fran as an assistant, and Joe wanted nothing more than for C.J. to play for Fran McCaffery at Iowa.

“We knew that was the right place, and I had to really kind of back off C.J., and C.J. will tell you, I wore him out on Iowa and Fran McCaffery,” Joe Fredrick said. “It was always, have you talked to Fran lately?”

“C.J. will tell you, I think he got tired of me pushing Iowa on him. But I just knew this was the perfect spot for him.”

And in the case of C.J. Fredrick, family always seems to know what is best for him.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
TK made it sound like Kentucky was in his families ear about 'opportunities after college' meaning they would get him professional opportunities that Iowa wouldn't.

Think of all those European and South American players that had to go through Kentucky to get a shot at the NBA.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
TK made it sound like Kentucky was in his families ear about 'opportunities after college' meaning they would get him professional opportunities that Iowa wouldn't.

Think of all those European and South American players that had to go through Kentucky to get a shot at the NBA.
Lol Sapp has had “professional opportunities” since he graduated. Uncle Joe is a dumb fuck, but we knew that.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Shocking development: young people with overbearing adults in their life struggle with maturity and decision making

I wish the adults involved understood how crippling this often becomes later in life

Last edited:

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
CJ's uncle needs to get his own life and stop trying to re-live his college days through his nephew. Fucking creepy shit there.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I'm not as bitter as you folks. I hope CJ does well at Kentucky and the team as a whole gets back to their high performing level. I hope they cruise through the SEC tournament all the way to a 1 seed.

Then I hope they face 16 seed Iowa and lose on a Patrick McCaffery buzzer beating two handed dunk after a blown switch by CJ.

Something like that. Win-win.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
So does he think Fran didn't let him "flourish"? He does realize why "systems" coaches exist right? I mean it's not like his talent was held back or anything. Some of these players must think they are way more talented than reality shows.
uhhhhhh

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
So does he think Fran didn't let him "flourish"? He does realize why "systems" coaches exist right? I mean it's not like his talent was held back or anything. Some of these players must think they are way more talented than reality shows.
He could be referring to the Lick system holding him down.

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
Probably not news, but Mulvey said the coaches told him he'd get 10-15 mpg next year with a transfer getting the rest of the minutes. No mention of Josh O.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I could see CJ being unhappy with his role in Fran’s offense, which was pretty much just run around screens and catch kick-outs from Garza (with the occasional attack off a close out). I don’t think he’s capable of much more than that, though I’m certain he thinks he is. It’s not like he’s going to get an expanded role at Kentucky, though.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I could see CJ being unhappy with his role in Fran’s offense, which was pretty much just run around screens and catch kick-outs from Garza (with the occasional attack off a close out). I don’t think he’s capable of much more than that, though I’m certain he thinks he is. It’s not like he’s going to get an expanded role at Kentucky, though.
The last month of the season where he was pump faking and passing up every shot opportunity he had, he certainly didn't seem like a guy interested in being more of the focal point of an offense.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The last month of the season where he was pump faking and passing up every shot opportunity he had, he certainly didn't seem like a guy interested in being more of the focal point of an offense.
He looked like he quit. We attributed it to his injury, and maybe that factored, but it appears he had other issues as well.