**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Oh I thought he entered the transfer portal? Must not have gotten much interest for some reason.

Reaction score
"we need to find a SG to replace CJ in the transfer portal"

"Hey I found a guy, he was a walk on here last year who didn't play except in a extreme garbage time and made a cool look away 3 against Ames, but now we have the opportunity to offer him a scholarship!"

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I mean I guess whatever if it works for culture but I’d rather throw it out to some random young athletic guard or even a big guy who could pop off in a couple of years.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
While bohannon annoys me, I get Fran recruiting him for a final season. But this would be punting for no reason. There's just shy of 10 million kids in the portal, you can find a guy better than Ash.

Reaction score
"we need to find a SG to replace CJ in the transfer portal"

"Hey I found a guy, he was a walk on here last year who didn't play except in a extreme garbage time and made a cool look away 3 against Ames, but now we have the opportunity to offer him a scholarship!"
While bohannon annoys me, I get Fran recruiting him for a final season. But this would be punting for no reason. There's just shy of 10 million kids in the portal, you can find a guy better than Ash.
Agree or disagree (and I hate the Bohananon move), this is Fran stating definitely that he's rolling with the guys he has. He obviously has no intention to play Ash.

Reaction score
There are plenty of good reasons to punt btw, 12 scholarship players is too many. Bringing in another mouth to feed can having massive negative consequences for a team that relies on developing underrated recruits and getting them to stick around.

The most fun Fran team of his tenure (19-20) was rolling with 7 or 8 scholarship guys through most the conference season.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
There are plenty of good reasons to punt btw, 12 scholarship players is too many. Bringing in another mouth to feed can having massive negative consequences for a team that relies on developing underrated recruits and getting them to stick around.

The most fun Fran team of his tenure (19-20) was rolling with 7 or 8 scholarship guys through most the conference season.
But Ash means nothing to the future. It’s like investing money into a stock that you know isn’t going to make you any money rather than throwing $100 on some startup tech company penny stock that you hope hits down the road. Might as well give it a try if your alternative is Ash.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score

I.guess we can close the door on EJ coming to Iowa

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not to go all conspiracy theory, but maybe the man with 30 years of experience that constructed this roster over the past several seasons is comfortable with what he has.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I'm with Bob actually on this. Having 12 or 13 guys isn't exactly ideal, and anyone you get out of the portal you are going to have to get by promising a big role.

Where are they going to promise or give anyone a big role at this point? PG, SG, SF, PF are already spoken for. Maybe you have space at C, but how many in the portal are step in and start caliber?

Fran seems to feel pretty good about Kris Murray and Kenyon seems to indicate they might go longer with more athleticism. If that is the case and you already have time committed to others, not crowding the roster further is fine.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I didn't expect them to pick up a good SG after they announced bohannon was coming back. The only thing you'd care more about is a quality big at this point.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Fair points.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I can’t recall another Iowa men’s basketball player who shoots like he’s an Iowa women’s basketball player.
The last shot on his beautifully done comeback video Dolph “Ash shot puts it from his hip.” Most accurate thing Dolph has ever said.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I didn't expect them to pick up a good SG after they announced bohannon was coming back. The only thing you'd care more about is a quality big at this point.
Also, it isn't like they can't pick up another player still. They can still grab someone else if they want.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Desperate need at center, and all they have is a reclassified 2022 recruit and a freshman that hasn't played more than two minutes in a row

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah, Iowa still has at least 1 more scholarship left and up to 3 if they want.

Reaction score
The best part of this is a thread on the TOS where a guy said a new commitment was coming from the transfer portal and people got their hopes up for something, anything really, other than this.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm with Bob actually on this. Having 12 or 13 guys isn't exactly ideal, and anyone you get out of the portal you are going to have to get by promising a big role.

Where are they going to promise or give anyone a big role at this point? PG, SG, SF, PF are already spoken for. Maybe you have space at C, but how many in the portal are step in and start caliber?

Fran seems to feel pretty good about Kris Murray and Kenyon seems to indicate they might go longer with more athleticism. If that is the case and you already have time committed to others, not crowding the roster further is fine.
I actually think the lineup without a true center fits Fran's style better. They can get out and run and shoot from everywhere.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Kenyon is right, and he certainly has PWNED the fuck out of nearly everyone including myself about the ability of his sons, if Kris is even close to as good as he indicates that alone is huge.

The way he talks about him doesn't feel like "hey, my one son is awesome and I'm going to talk up my other son so he doesn't feel bad", it genuinely feels like he thinks Kris is going to be not far off from Keegan.

He's been spot on so far.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t think Fran really wants to play with a huge slow center. He just had two good ones that really wanted to come here.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t think Fran really wants to play with a huge slow center. He just had two good ones that really wanted to come here.
Here was Fran's roster his final year at Sienna. They actually have Ryan Rossiter's weight wrong as he was about 230 pounds and plays a lot like Rebracca.

It was long, lean, athletic and they didn't really have a true center.

Screenshot 2021-04-29 7.50.44 PM.png

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Here was Fran's roster his final year at Sienna. They actually have Ryan Rossiter's weight wrong as he was about 230 pounds and plays a lot like Rebracca.

It was long, lean, athletic and they didn't really have a true center.

View attachment 27408
Not playing a true center at a mid major is common. Why is Josh here if Fran isn't going to play him?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not playing a true center at a mid major is common. Why is Josh here if Fran isn't going to play him?
You have 13 scholarships. Not everyone you get is going to be a starter and you can play some guys 15 minutes per game. You play teams where you might need a big guy to go head to head with a true center for stretches.

Josh can be a very valuable asset.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
You have 13 scholarships. Not everyone you get is going to be a starter and you can play some guys 15 minutes per game. You play teams where you might need a big guy to go head to head with a true center for stretches.

Josh can be a very valuable asset.
I think he starts eventually