***2021 NCAAM Coaching Changes***

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a huge Texas fan and has connections to the program. He told me on Monday that there was talk of Texas trying to get Marquette to hire Shaka.

Is that possible? Is that something that gets done? Did my buddy just pull a random 'what if' out of his pocket and simply luck-out when it actually happened?

Hawk4Life25

LIAR and SCUMBAG
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a huge Texas fan and has connections to the program. He told me on Monday that there was talk of Texas trying to get Marquette to hire Shaka.

Is that possible? Is that something that gets done? Did my buddy just pull a random 'what if' out of his pocket and simply luck-out when it actually happened?
Could Texas cut Marquette a deal on the buyout?

Reaction score

This has been rumored for a week as a decent possibility. Like Doug said, good for all sides. Shaka goes back home to a Big East school with big resources. Both sides avoid a bad end and get a fresh start.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
So in terms of buyouts, that's about half of what Jamie paid to get TJ (supposedly 5 to Prohm and 3-5 to UNLV for TJ).

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Austin is so weird with basketball. Was downtown Austin during its tournament game and saw one person in Longhorn gear. Some bars had other games playing on most the screens.

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
When is the last time a coach left one school to work for another in the same conference?

No, I will not DMOFR.

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
Austin is so weird with basketball. Was downtown Austin during its tournament game and saw one person in Longhorn gear. Some bars had other games playing on most the screens.
Nobody really gives a shit about basketball in Texas, despite the fact they have good teams down there (Baylor, Houston, etc.)

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
When is the last time a coach left one school to work for another in the same conference?

No, I will not DMOFR.
Tubby went from Georgia to Kentucky, but that was over 20 years ago.

thrawn

Reaction score

No, I will not DMOFR.
different sport but Sarkisian did this with Washington/USC in 2014

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The coach that turned Michigan’s defense around under Beilein was working under Smart at Texas...maybe he follows Smart to Marquette...maybe Fran should give him a call.
He’s actually the head coach at UI-C now

scooped!

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I've shared this before, but was shocked early going to a game where Texas was ranked #5 in the country playing a conference home game and the arena was maybe 1/3rd full. They had a pre-recorded message from Rick Barnes they would play after the first media timeout that told everyone in the upper bowl to come down and find any seat they wanted in the lower bowl and the only caveat was to be a good Texan and move if the seat holder actually showed up.

We would pay $5 for a upper bowl ticket and then end up sitting near courtside for everything but a big weekend game against Kansas.

It is a combination of factors. Austin/UT is a football school first. Second, the Frank Erwin Center is dogshit ugly facility that looks like Soviet Era concrete drum that seats way too many people. Third, the arena is hard to get to when the games start at 7pm on the weekday and parking can be a nightmare. Zero atmosphere.

All of that should be overcome starting next year. They have a brand new arena that is opening that only seats 10k for basketball games (and up to 17k for concerts). That should make it a destination for people to attend and have a completely different atmosphere.

Here is what the new arena looks like and what the old arena looks like.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Is the arena easy to get to? Everyone I know in Austin hates driving in that city

Reaction score
Turgeon has been ok at Maryland but never better than that. I assume their fans hate him.
I thought this was a really interesting Maryland hoops discussion between Scott Van Pelt and Kevin Sheehan - covering the vagaries of the tournament and coaching issues. Maryland and Iowa seem to be in similar circumstances.

It's the Terps Eliminated, What's Next episode, starts at about the 45 minute mark.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I’m consistently amazed by these schools that will pay 8 figure buyouts without having a replacement mostly lined up.
It absolutely blows my mind. How the fuck can you not have everything but the signature on paper?

They have to be so arrogant they thought they would buy out Archie and coaches would be lining up for them.

For fuck's sake, just hire Alford already and get it over with.