2022 Basketball Recruiting

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Lol here we are still questioning. That guy has to suck. LOOK AT HIM!!!
Meh. Geeky kid makes a couple of dunks, iowa gets knocked out in the first/ second round, geeky kid goes on to play in Turkey or Greece. rinse and repeat.
Yeah, I'm going to keep questioning.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Meh. Geeky kid makes a couple of dunks, iowa gets knocked out in the first/ second round, geeky kid goes on to play in Turkey or Greece. rinse and repeat.
Yeah, I'm going to keep questioning.
We’ll likely have an all-white starting lineup next season and are consistently being ranked in the top 10 and as high as #4.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
We’ll likely have an all-white starting lineup next season and are consistently being ranked in the top 10 and as high as #4.
Geeky kid makes a couple of dunks, iowa gets knocked out in the first/ second round, geeky kid goes on to play in Turkey or Greece. rinse and repeat.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I'm not sure what puts Fran's recruiting above being questioned.
Nothing I suppose. But almost every time he gets one of these guys a couple years later we get the “boy was I wrong about so and so”.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa basketball fans are largely retarded and the "Fran can't recruit/evaluate talent" argument is primary evidence of said retardation.
Who says he can't evaluate talent?

The most common gripe I see is that he isn't good at knowing when to cut bait with a highly regarded recruit.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Who says he can't evaluate talent?

The most common gripe I see is that he isn't good at knowing when to cut bait with a highly regarded recruit.
In Fran's defense, him refusing to cut bait with Tyler Ulis very likely got him Ahron Ulis who could end up being as good or better.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting people should freak out about 2022 offers. That's a long ways away and you're likely to end up looking like an idiot.

For instance, I look like a fucking asshole in regards to Fredrick.

Fran has proven to be a good evaluator of talent, but he hasn't won many recruiting battles the last few years. It's legitimate to be concerned about that.

You can put together a good class of underrated guys- I really like the incoming class, but it's easier to do if you can land some guys that other teams also wanted.

I just don't want this place to become CyFan like. "If he's good enough for CFM, he's good enough for me!"

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
In Fran's defense, him refusing to cut bait with Tyler Ulis very likely got him Ahron Ulis who could end up being as good or better.
As good or better than his two-and-done, #36 pick in the draft, SEC POY and DefPOY as soph, consensus 1st team AA, final 4 finalist for national POY brother that started 58 games in his first two NBA seasons before flaming out? Bold predition.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
As good or better than his two-and-done, #36 pick in the draft, SEC POY and DefPOY as soph, consensus 1st team AA, final 4 finalist for national POY brother that started 58 games in his first two NBA seasons before flaming out? Bold predition.
"Could" isn't really a prediction, it is a possibility.

He's rising up and, even better, he isn't a fucking midget like his brother.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
A big season coupled with a deep run in the tournament could put us in a position to hit some home runs on the recruiting trail.

We have a very talented, veteran squad coming back with an NPOY front runner. We have good talent coming in with Ulis and Perkins. I personally think this is the brightest the future has looked for the program in 20 years.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Ahron Ulis could end up as good as Gary Payton. Or he could not.

Fran probably won't land another top-50 kid for a while. He makes his living from 75-150, and as long as he's pulling in at least one of those kids every class, he's ok.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa was also Ulis' only big offer by a mile, so while it didn't hurt it's not the reason Ulis chose Iowa

Reaction score
Iowa was also Ulis' only big offer by a mile, so while it didn't hurt it's not the reason Ulis chose Iowa
Nitpicking, but DePaul as a Big East school in Chicago with a lot of talent isn't that far behind. Of course they have their issues and blew it.

Reaction score
In regards to trusting Fran, I'm going to put a lot of trust in his early offers. He's missed like everyone, but he has a great track record with identifying guys and seeing their status rise significantly at various stages.

If this guy commits, I'll think it's a pretty good deal.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Iowa is second big school offer (Colorado) for North Dakota center.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
he can make a lot of slow short kids look bad

(bet fran sees him as a stretch 4)

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I doubt he goes to college. This was just a verbal commitment.
I take that back. The NBA and the player's association appear to be far apart on the one-and-done rule and other concessions. Now they are talking that the one-and-done rule may end in 2025. Plus, Bates may reclassify and start college in 2021. Hopefully some team in a foreign country wants to pay him a lot of money.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-wont-eliminate-one-and-done-rule-any-time-soon-with-discussions-stalled-over-one-key-issue-per-report/

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Last night they were talking like he'll do the G-League Select team and have a big shoe contract while he's still in High School.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Appears to be a LATFG starter kit from all accounts, complete with early 90s knee brace.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

Goes to Chaminade, HS of Tyler Cook.