2022 Football Recruiting

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There are certain positions where I understand why we struggle to recruit. TE should not be one of them.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
We aren't struggling to recruit TE though outside of missing a couple guys this year.
Missed on their targets last year as well. It wasn’t really a big issue because they had just signed Lachey and Yelverton and were mostly chasing big fish. A two year lull at a position is never good, although you feel better about TE than maybe any other position for Iowa. The truth is that it is somewhat disappointing though coming off of Kittle, Fant, Hockenson, etc. I don’t think we should overreact but fair to say that it’s a missed opportunity.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
If there is one thing we should have learned by now about Iowa Football it is that we will almost certainly be fine at TE going forward.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
No matter what happens Iowa's class is always going to fall into the same range. Incredible class for Iowa=somewhere around 20. Average class for Iowa=Somewhere around 35-40. Bad class for Iowa=Somewhere around 50.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
If there is one thing we should have learned by now about Iowa Football it is that we will almost certainly be fine at TE going forward.
What might hurt the most is losing the good athletes at TE that end up great at another position.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
We aren't struggling to recruit TE though outside of missing a couple guys this year.
We missed on the TE recruits last year as well. Going 2 years in a row on missing on all your top targets at a position and I think it's fair to say they are struggling a bit right now.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
We missed on the TE recruits last year as well. Going 2 years in a row on missing on all your top targets at a position and I think it's fair to say they are struggling a bit right now.
Don't forget that is also because Iowa is aiming a whole lot higher than ever before at the TE position. It isn't like they were getting crazy studs the last decade outside of maybe Fidorowictezez or however you spell it.

Fant was a guy everyone else wanted at DE and pretty much only Iowa had him at TE. Kittle and Hockensen were nobodies. Krieger Coble was a nobody. Beyer was a nobody. LaPorta was a nobody. Even going back through Kirk's tenure nearly every TE including Clark were nobodies.

Yelverton, Lachey and Maimen are the highest guys in the last decade, and as of now Lachey has separated himself in that group.

Missing out on highly rated TE's isn't a huge deal and never has been historically.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Don't forget that is also because Iowa is aiming a whole lot higher than ever before at the TE position. It isn't like they were getting crazy studs the last decade outside of maybe Fidorowictezez or however you spell it.

Fant was a guy everyone else wanted at DE and pretty much only Iowa had him at TE. Kittle and Hockensen were nobodies. Krieger Coble was a nobody. Beyer was a nobody. LaPorta was a nobody. Even going back through Kirk's tenure nearly every TE including Clark were nobodies.

Yelverton, Lachey and Maimen are the highest guys in the last decade, and as of now Lachey has separated himself in that group.

Missing out on highly rated TE's isn't a huge deal and never has been historically.
I agree but that doesn't mean you don't go after some fallback recruits.

It doesn't matter for this specific year but going 2 straight classes without a TE isn't ideal for down the road. I'm sure they will pick up another nobody that becomes a somebody.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I agree but that doesn't mean you don't go after some fallback recruits.

It doesn't matter for this specific year but going 2 straight classes without a TE isn't ideal for down the road. I'm sure they will pick up another nobody that becomes a somebody.
Agreed. If they don’t Get MRD it will sting a bit. That guy is a Noah Fant starter kit who grew up a hawk fan.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Agreed. If they don’t Get MRD it will sting a bit. That guy is a Noah Fant starter kit who grew up a hawk fan.
All crystal balls from Iowa guys, Auburn guys, and national guys are now for Auburn.

Not great

Reaction score
Never gonna have Fant's wheels, however. Wisconsin apparently thought he was going to grow into an OL.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Who is Fran’s Tyler Goodson?

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
My god do I want iowa to skull fuck the west this year.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Grew up an Iowa fan
Plays a position where Iowa has had guys with incredible college and NFL success
Has a high school teammate who just enrolled in January there on track for major playing time
Iowa didn't land a TE in last year's recruiting class

Super

douglasbader

Reaction score
Grew up an Iowa fan
Plays a position where Iowa has had guys with incredible college and NFL success
Has a high school teammate who just enrolled in January there on track for major playing time
Iowa didn't land a TE in last year's recruiting class

Super
OMG!!!!!!!!

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There's not a lot of must gets, but other than a son of an Iowa coach MRD was a must get.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
There's not a lot of must gets, but other than a son of an Iowa coach MRD was a must get.
I would rather they get good OL, QB, WR and RB. Of course they need to get an RB still, but they have signed players at the other positions. Kittle, Hock and LaPorta were nobodies in recruiting rankings.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
I'd guess Iowa sees a slight dip in recruiting for this class as other schools can negatively recruit against Iowa pointing to last summers events. After this class however it'll be in the past and Iowa will be back in their regular 25-40 range.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I'd guess Iowa sees a slight dip in recruiting for this class as other schools can negatively recruit against Iowa pointing to last summers events. After this class however it'll be in the past and Iowa will be back in their regular 25-40 range.
It seems like they are very process oriented. The whole covid visit schedule coupled with new NIL shit, and a small class might make for a down year. Tough shit.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
They can’t all be home runs.

TE doesn’t worry me a ton, in part due to the free COVID year, and in part because we always have someone serviceable or better playing and backing up that position. HKC quality play is basically the floor.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Sounds like another big weekend visitor, Christion Stokes, will be committing to West Virginia soon.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
It really should have been obvious with ZERO guys committing on Iowa’s “big” weekend in June that this class might blow

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
It seems like they are very process oriented. The whole covid visit schedule coupled with new NIL shit, and a small class might make for a down year. Tough shit.
One bad class happens. Two in a row and you begin to worry. Stinks because prior to last summer, Iowa was starting to recruit at a little higher level than they had historically under Ferentz.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Sounds like another big weekend visitor, Christion Stokes, will be committing to West Virginia soon.
That was pretty much a given even before the visit as they’ve long thought to be his favorite.

Kirk also mentioned prior to that big weekend that he didn’t expect Iowa to land the Number of commits out of it like they usually do.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I also have 0 knowledge on who Iowa is recruiting like prior years. I’m not sure I could name 5 players they have offers out to that haven’t committed.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I also have 0 knowledge on who Iowa is recruiting like prior years. I’m not sure I could name 5 players they have offers out to that haven’t committed.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Deyo likely committing tonight. Crystal balls have shifted to isu. Jesus christ, they need to stop the bleeding

douglasbader

Reaction score
Deyo likely committing tonight. Crystal balls have shifted to isu. Jesus christ, they need to stop the bleeding
Doesn't he have a brother already there? And weren't they the first to offer? And isn't he way the fuck out in west Iowa?

douglasbader

Reaction score
The only thing that is going to "stop the bleeding" is winning this fall. It takes winning and a cycle to turn it around when momentum changes on you like this.

Iowa needs to win this year.

neshawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I saw a rumor about possible grade issues awhile ago. Who knows if it's true or even a factor.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Doesn't he have a brother already there? And weren't they the first to offer? And isn't he way the fuck out in west Iowa?
Isu was the first offer but no brother there to my knowledge. No academic issues. Iowa was the clear leader.

If he does choose isu, it now becomes a trend of Iowa missing on kids they were in the driver seat with.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Isu was the first offer but no brother there to my knowledge. No academic issues. Iowa was the clear leader.

If he does choose isu, it now becomes a trend of Iowa missing on kids they were in the driver seat with.
Yeah, shit happens when your own players try to eat the program alive. You can thank James Daniels, Doyle and a few others for where things might be at currently in the 2022 class along with the pandemic.

Iowa State is riding a really fortunate wave and Iowa a really unfortunate wave. Win this year and it corrects itself.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't doubt Tyler Barnes when he bitches about the negative recruiting. I guarantee every single school that is competing with Iowa for a recruit is telling them over and over, subtle or not, that Iowa is not a place to be in the near future.

Kirk's old, Brian is a dick, the program is racist, their own players hate them and tried to burn it to the ground, etc....

Throw in some NIL bullshit on top, and here you go.

I sure hope Iowa players and coaches have a giant chip on their shoulder and that ISU crowd/team/staff work themselves into a lather again.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Time to get dirty in the portal.
No homo

CamelTones

Reaction score
First it was Missouri winning recruiting battles years ago. Then Minnesota when Fleck was the new thing. Then Nebrantska with Frost. There was a brief period where Purdue was the next thing with Brohm. Zook was going to be a problem at Illinois. Dantonio was going to win every head to head recruiting battle. Now it’s Tom Allen and Matt Campbell.

Yet somehow, through it all, Wisconsin is the only one that is really a thorn in Iowa’s side on the field.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
First it was Missouri winning recruiting battles years ago. Then Minnesota when Fleck was the new thing. Then Nebrantska with Frost. There was a brief period where Purdue was the next thing with Brohm. Zook was going to be a problem at Illinois. Dantonio was going to win every head to head recruiting battle. Now it’s Tom Allen and Matt Campbell.

Yet somehow, through it all, Wisconsin is the only one that is really a thorn in Iowa’s side on the field.
And Northwestern