2022 Football Recruiting

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Not anything like what is just beginning. Shawnee tried to tell you all this would be a disaster.
Agreed.

NIL is going to be a mess in high-value markets. For a school like Iowa, it's not really going to matter.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I get someone getting $50k from the local dealership or whatever, but who in the fuck predicted this would be the eventual outcome of NIL money?

People predicted that the #1 recruit in the country would be bought by an outside gambling operation and directed to go to a FCS school?

No.
Hi!

This is a can of worms that remains better unopened. The unintended list of consequences will be long.

I don't think folks here are looking bigger picture. Everyone here is thinking podunk Iowa athletes advertising for a car dealership.

What about Oregon and Phil Knight? Are they going to regulate how companies like Nike can offer advertising deals to colleges/students?

I know it's hyperbolic but the implications from these decisions could very well lead to death of college athletics as we know. We were likely already headed in that direction, this will hasten it, imo.

College athletes are "paid" with a free education (free everything pretty much) . I don't know why that can't be enough.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Am I crazy for thinking the NIL madness doesn't hurt Iowa as much as the shadier big time programs? We typically are not a player for recruits like this. X is our highest in about 20 years and only because he's local and also is sensible about NIL stuff.
It might not affect Iowa as much for the initial recruits, but with the Transfer Portal along with these NIL deals, keeping a stud player after their freshman or sophomore year will be much more difficult. It will be a real free agency to the highest bidder.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
It might not affect Iowa as much for the initial recruits, but with the Transfer Portal along with these NIL deals, keeping a stud player after their freshman or sophomore year will be much more difficult. It will be a real free agency to the highest bidder.
It's especially going to hurt developmental programs like Iowa. Pour 3 years into a kid, have a 7-5 year and he doesn't get as many touches as he'd like and he's a fart in the wind.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Some of these companies will start getting smarter about how they structure the money. Ewers got a million from a company in Ohio then bolted for Texas after a year.

They’ll start putting performance expectations etc. in these deals. The player will then get pissed that their coaches didn’t utilize them enough to get the money. Kinda like how Tyrone Tracy and his family think the Iowa coaches are the ones holding him back from the NFL.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Some of these companies will start getting smarter about how they structure the money. Ewers got a million from a company in Ohio then bolted for Texas after a year.

They’ll start putting performance expectations etc. in these deals. The player will then get pissed that their coaches didn’t utilize them enough to get the money. Kinda like how Tyrone Tracy and his family think the Iowa coaches are the ones holding him back from the NFL.
On-field performance is banned in NIL's but who knows if the NCAA is going to enforce it.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I could see it structured like a signing bonus where if they leave before a certain amount of time they have to give X amount back.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Hopefully there's only a season or two of madness before things get reigned in a bit or large companies get burned enough to realize that investing huge sums of money in 18 year olds is a poor way to spend their money. Barstool getting burned wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Hopefully there's only a season or two of madness before things get reigned in a bit or large companies get burned enough to realize that investing huge sums of money in 18 year olds is a poor way to spend their money. Barstool getting burned wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
Deion worked/works for Barstool. They’re going for content and needed something to sell the public to be interested in Jackson State. If they charge $10 a person to watch whatever stream they try to make they only need 150k people to make their money back. Local businesses at most schools won’t float that kind of cash.

There’s very little chance they could pull this off at a power 5 school.

gable_guy

Reaction score
Koen Entringer 2:00 PM CT
Keyron Crawford 2:30 PM CT
TJ Hall 3:00 PM CT

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Why haven’t the running backs signed?

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’ll choose to believe every single one of Pattersons listed offers on rivals is legit.

Reaction score
Have their been any surprises for Iowa with commits today, or is everything in line with expectations thus far?

Rdit: I just saw Entringer signed, which would be one positive surprise.