2023 Basketball Recruiting

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Grand larceny by Fran. This is fantastic.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
247 just released their first ranking of Freeman.

@YugoslavianMountainHound note he does not weigh 87 pounds or 136 pounds.

View attachment 30887

Rivals doesn't have a numeric rating for him yet, but in their defense, they recently got around to rating the Murray twins. It's hard to be a recruiting analyst. You have to get up by noon and work hard enough so that you can still squeeze in an afternoon nap after lunch.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I have an extra chromosome, but I missed this on Freeman's 247 profile.

Eric Bossi

PROJECTION: Power-5 Starter

What immediately jumps out about Freeman is the way in which he runs the court. He covers the ground with long, graceful strides and never labors to keep up with the pace of the game. Not only can he run, he has excellent hands and does a great job of catching, gathering and making his way into a move while on the run. Freeman has a nice looking jump shot and is going to be a guy who is capable of stretching defenses from deep and he has good footwork in the post making him comfortable as a scorer with his back to the basket. The inside/out offense is there and maybe the most impressive thing about Freeman is his ability to handle the ball and pass for a big man.
Sounds pretty, pretty good.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This dude. Holy fuck.

Everything about him screams Fran recruit, besides the top 5 ranking. Nice work to get him for a visit

Looks like he went to high school in Illinois before transferring to Bowen's school

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
Matas Buzelis is visiting this weekend. He’s the #4 ranked player in the 2023 class. He’s a 6-9 small forward originally from Lithuania, now playing at Brewster Academy with Dasonte Bowen.
Rivals has him at #27 in the country. Offers from Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan, etc. No interest or offer shown from Iowa in his profile....yet.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Get a commit from him to go with Freeman's and this class has two top-100 kids. Will drive some fans nuts, but that would be a couple of good pieces for Franball.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Get a commit from him to go with Freeman's and this class has two top-100 kids. Will drive some fans nuts, but that would be a couple of good pieces for Franball.
Why?

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Because their depth of knowledge doesn't extend much beyond "geeky white kid!!!!!" and "Why doesn't Fran sign more Tyler Smith and Reggie Evans types!!!!"

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Garza never struck me as "geeky". Weiskamp had enough of that for the both of them.
Not necessarily geeky but he moves like a land vulture. You are correct on the 2nd part

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe it's the hair, but Freeman looks like the kid that makes fun of the geek, while secretly being their friend.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
High School Garza was a tall lumpy kid with a monobrow. Geek.
He still had more swag then than 21 year old NBA draft pick, Weiskamp

Reaction score
Because their depth of knowledge doesn't extend much beyond "geeky white kid!!!!!" and "Why doesn't Fran sign more Tyler Smith and Reggie Evans types!!!!"
My depth of knowledge showed me last year that you can have a team full of very talented, geeky white kids and not make it out of the second round of the NCAA Tourney.

Say what you want you want but if Fran continues to recruit a bunch of crackers, Iowa basketball will always be mediocre.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
My depth of knowledge showed me last year that you can have a team full of very talented, geeky white kids and not make it out of the second round of the NCAA Tourney.

Say what you want you want but if Fran continues to recruit a bunch of crackers, Iowa basketball will always be mediocre.
I would like to see Iowa get more athletic, and that would likely mean fewer white guys. But athletic teams get upset in single elimination tournaments as well.

I don't think the Illini had a geeky white problem last season.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I would like to see Iowa get more athletic, and that would likely mean fewer white guys. But athletic teams get upset in single elimination tournaments as well.

I don't think the Illini had a geeky white problem last season.
Didn’t they get upset by a giant UPS driver?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

Iowa basketball may not be as good as you would like, but they are not mediocre.

Reaction score
Iowa basketball may not be as good as you would like, but they are not mediocre.
Fine. Slightly above mediocre. And I realize it's Iowa. I'm not expecting contending for a national title every year. But I don't think a sweet 16 more than once in the last 22 years is setting too high of expectations.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Fine. Slightly above mediocre. And I realize it's Iowa. I'm not expecting contending for a national title every year. But I don't think a sweet 16 more than once in the last 22 years is setting too high of expectations.
They are a consistent upper half of the Big Ten and NCAA Tournament team at this point. I get we want to base nearly everything on a luck of the draw single elimination tournament, but Iowa has turned into more than slightly above mediocre.

Reactions: BBK

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
we need to hire a coach that can take a better bunch of crackers to multiple sweet 16’s.

Reaction score
They are a consistent upper half of the Big Ten and NCAA Tournament team at this point. I get we want to base nearly everything on a luck of the draw single elimination tournament, but Iowa has turned into more than slightly above mediocre.
Luck of the draw, LOLZ. Yeah. It's a shame we ran into that elite Oregon team, who got beat by 16 by powerhouse USC the very next game.

If only we could've faced 6 unathletic teams in the NCAA tourney, we could be champs! How didn't that happen?!?! So unlucky.

But you're right. They have been better than slightly above mediocre (which was sarcasm). A good regular season team who gets exposed every year when it comes tourney time.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Luck of the draw, LOLZ. Yeah. It's a shame we ran into that elite Oregon team, who got beat by 16 by powerhouse USC the very next game.

If only we could've faced 6 unathletic teams in the NCAA tourney, we could be champs! How didn't that happen?!?! So unlucky.

But you're right. They have been better than slightly above mediocre (which was sarcasm). A good regular season team who gets exposed every year when it comes tourney time.
The Criminal made the sweet 16 twice dude

the best way to make a sweet 16 is to make the round of 32 as much as possible.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

This is ridiculous. Yeah, I would have liked Iowa to beat Oregon, but shit happens. Oregon happened to be the first team in the history of the NCAA tournament that got to advance without having to actually play a game. Doesn't really matter, Iowa got beat. Shit happens.

What "exposed" has happened to Iowa under Fran at NCAA tourney time? He's won every first round game they ever played in except for a horseshit play in game they and Tennessee should have never been in that went into overtime. The second game they have lost to really good #2 seed level or the eventual national champions.

Don't worry, one of these days Iowa will have a good run in the tourney. Might even be this year.

Reaction score
I watched some highlight videos of Pryce Sandfort and I hope he’s a hell of a shooter, because athletically he’s really nothing special. He appears to handle the ball well for a player his size, but he lacks quickness or the ability to finish at the rim. He doesn’t look like a Top 100 kid to me at all.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Rivals 100, 247 106.

We'll see if he holds those rankings, but right now it's a good offer.