***2024-2025 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,084
Reaction score
3,149
Ok. He’s never gonna win the conference and he’s not batting other teams for the best recruits
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,084
Reaction score
3,149
They are just happy that our states better program isn’t in the conference
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,084
Reaction score
3,149
No I just think they are proof that what we want can be done in a school like Iowa
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
Fran is fine. It’s completely understandable to be tired of his particular brand of fine after 15 years but that’s not a good reason to make yourself sound like a moron.
Stu is disappointed in Lucy Olsen as well. Ignore him.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,035
Reaction score
-3,376
A not so fun game - rank that PG list.

Jordan bohannon
Mike Gesell
Anthony Clemmons
Drew Thelwell
Connor McCaffery
Bryce Cartwright
Joe Toussaint
Ahron Ulis
Brock Harding
Dasonte Bowen
Trey Dickerson
Christian Williams

ISU has three guards on their current roster better than anyone on that list except maybe peak JorBo. Also Marble was Fran’s best PG.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
Fran is fine. It’s completely understandable to be tired of his particular brand of fine after 15 years but that’s not a good reason to make yourself sound like a moron.
Listen, fucktard. I don’t need a good reason to make myself look like a moran.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
ISU has three guards on their current roster better than anyone on that list except maybe peak JorBo. Also Marble was Fran’s best PG.
I am guessing that the best PG in the Fran era (not counting Marble) is maybe the 15th best Iowa State PG during that time.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
Fran is 6-8 vs ISU. Pretty decent considering ISU’s blue blood status.
Even more considering they had 2 of those losses that should have been wins until Mike Gesell completely fucked them up.
 

Greg Obrecht

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2014
Messages
8,809
Reaction score
13,736
You could always count on Mikey to be calm, cool, and collected during end of game situations.
 

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
34,663
Reaction score
2,770
Every time I see Gesell’s name, I think of the time he had the ball in the closing seconds against Florida St and somehow managed to fire a kick out pass against the back of the backboard for a turnover.
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,084
Reaction score
3,149
We
Fran is fine. It’s completely understandable to be tired of his particular brand of fine after 15 years but that’s not a good reason to make yourself sound like a moron.
What exactly was moronic I said? Even Halo knows Fran has hit his ceiling. He’s not winning a conference title and he’s not challenging the top of the league recruiting. Not really a hot take
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,813
We

What exactly was moronic I said? Even Halo knows Fran has hit his ceiling. He’s not winning a conference title and he’s not challenging the top of the league recruiting. Not really a hot take
I’m sure ISU and the entire I am a giant douche is fine with Fran’s lifetime contract
They are just happy that our states better program isn’t in the conference
You whine like a bitch.
 

LifelongHawk

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
6,208
Reaction score
6,325
He's had one losing conference season in the last 12 years. 125-105 in that time.

For reference Dr. Tom finished at 126-104 in conference, including inheriting slightly better talent.
Slightly better? 7 NBA players v Matt Gatens.
 

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
16,726
Reaction score
9,148
Remember that time we went something like 0-40 in chances so win or tie a game with a shot in the last 30 seconds.

That was neat.
 

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
117,030
Reaction score
25,649
He's had one losing conference season in the last 12 years. 125-105 in that time.

For reference Dr. Tom finished at 126-104 in conference, including inheriting slightly better talent.
It's weird that their conference records are almost identical. Yet people still love Dr. Tom, but merely tolerate Fran.
 

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
6,905
Reaction score
-3,253
It's weird that their conference records are almost identical. Yet people still love Dr. Tom, but merely tolerate Fran.
People were very tired of Dr. Tom those last couple years. Watching athletic teams just shred the press while he refused to call it off was maddening. If shit falls apart after Fran leaves, we'll be pining for the days of staring down refs and 14 man rotations.
 

Greg Obrecht

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2014
Messages
8,809
Reaction score
13,736
It's weird that their conference records are almost identical. Yet people still love Dr. Tom, but merely tolerate Fran.
Chris Street happened. People have attached a lot of emotions to that era. Fran isn’t nearly stoic enough for most old fuckers in Iowa.
 

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
17,080
Reaction score
3,800
I remember wanting change from Dr Tom simply to try a more normal approach in style to the game. Everyone and everything gets stale at some point and it's natural to look for greener grass on the other side of the fence even if it is thistles. I'm in the camp again of wanting some change for change sake even though Fran has had an admirable run. The program needs something, whether an arena overhaul, a new coach or maybe both. It's stagnant.
 

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
16,888
Reaction score
6,443
I'm ready for Fran to go away. Let him finish this year and then go watch your son play for 4 years somewhere else.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
I would need to see our plan before getting rid of Fran. NIL has changed our candidate pool. Right now, I go into each selection Sunday with hope. I remember that’s all I wanted during the Lick era.
 

hawkstud44

Probably Needs to GFH
Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
113
I am ok with Fran moving on but the first thing coaches are asking when interviewing for jobs is what kind of money am I going to have to build my team. Some say that's there's money being withheld from the program until Fran is gone. But I will believe that when I see it. Iowa most likely will never have enough NIL money in basketball to compete like people want, so IMHO you need a coach like Fran that can bring undervalued kids in and turn them into all conference level players.
 
Top