***2024-2025 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
Yep, checked in on chat and it was he sucks he sucks that sucks he sucks ref sucks Fran is an idiot FIRE FRAN.
I saw some encouraging play and a great game.
While some good things happened that was a winnable game for Iowa with some pretty inexcusable substitutions from Fran. Being encouraged is great but that absolutely could’ve been an Iowa victory
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
While some good things happened that was a winnable game for Iowa with some pretty inexcusable substitutions from Fran. Being encouraged is great but that absolutely could’ve been an Iowa victory
so I don’t need to watch the dvr then because I’ve seen this game 100 times
 

Monster

Guaranteed Proctor Would Play For Iowa
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
109,941
Reaction score
-3,688
While some good things happened that was a winnable game for Iowa with some pretty inexcusable substitutions from Fran. Being encouraged is great but that absolutely could’ve been an Iowa victory
The fact it was winnable at all is a sign that they played well above expectations. While it "could've" been an Iowa victory, they were a significant underdog on the road and the fact they were in it at all was a good sign.

I hate fans.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
Mulvey put the oddest spin on the ball on a wide open layup that resulted in it spinning out right to a Michigan player.
 

Orestes

Wears Gloves When He Mows
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
7,881
I read the last page of this thread with all the negative bullshit and criticism of Sandfort and then was shocked to check espn and discover Iowa lost by 2 on the road to a good Michigan team.
Yep, checked in on chat and it was he sucks he sucks that sucks he sucks ref sucks Fran is an idiot FIRE FRAN.
I saw some encouraging play and a great game.
I know what you're saying, guys, but I think this is just illustrative of the way a lot of people view this basketball. It's pretty stale and it's pretty difficult to find reasons for excitement. Frustrations with the overall program are articulated through negatively.

I didn't watch the game. I didn't know there was a game until I turned on a TV to see the start of Texas/Georgia and I saw that there was also an Iowa basketball game on. I have about as much concern for this team right now as I did when Alford was here (although my apathy is for a very different reason). I simply don't pay enough attention to be negative.
 

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
16,726
Reaction score
9,148
The fact it was winnable at all is a sign that they played well above expectations. While it "could've" been an Iowa victory, they were a significant underdog on the road and the fact they were in it at all was a good sign.

I hate fans.
2 things can be true at once.
It can be a good effort on the road where we played reasonably well AND be frustrating that poor roster decisions resulted in a loss.
 

Monster

Guaranteed Proctor Would Play For Iowa
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
109,941
Reaction score
-3,688
2 things can be true at once.
It can be a good effort on the road where we played reasonably well AND be frustrating that poor roster decisions resulted in a loss.
Agreed. But the criticism I'm referring to goes well beyond poor roster decisions. And they always do no matter the situation.

Anyway, who gives a shit. I'll never understand why people choose to be so fucking miserable. Why even watch if you're looking for the first opportunity to start bitching?
 

Monster

Guaranteed Proctor Would Play For Iowa
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
109,941
Reaction score
-3,688
I know what you're saying, guys, but I think this is just illustrative of the way a lot of people view this basketball. It's pretty stale and it's pretty difficult to find reasons for excitement. Frustrations with the overall program are articulated through negatively.

I didn't watch the game. I didn't know there was a game until I turned on a TV to see the start of Texas/Georgia and I saw that there was also an Iowa basketball game on. I have about as much concern for this team right now as I did when Alford was here (although my apathy is for a very different reason). I simply don't pay enough attention to be negative.
It's all sports. Not just basketball. Some people are just miserable all the time.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
It's also extra frustrating because Fran is doing what he always does, and that is playing 14 fucking guys and jerk around with trying to find the best lineup when it's pretty obvious what that lineup is (which he will eventually find out about 5 weeks from now).

I get Trayore is screwing that up some, but Fran was still wildly searching even when he was healthy.
 

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
8,047
And pissing away games that are winnable have a big effect on a borderline team’s ability and likelihood of making the tournament, along with seeding assuming they can get there.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
-14,440
It ended up being a nice effort and Sandfort was really bad at the beginning before turning it around.

Any complaints about the 2 foul rule are valid. Freeman sat for ~17 minutes in the first half. That’s unforgivable. It is the most maddening thing about Fran’s tenure.
 

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
4,489
The rotations are maddening. The 2 foul rule obviously. I think Fran is bringing thelwell in at the under 12 in both halfs. They need his defense on the court as much as possible.

3 minutes for brauns. He and Kingsbury are both scout team fucking Fran. So is ladji honestly -- I don't get what he brings to the table at all.
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,946
It ended up being a nice effort and Sandfort was really bad at the beginning before turning it around.

Any complaints about the 2 foul rule are valid. Freeman sat for ~17 minutes in the first half. That’s unforgivable. It is the most maddening thing about Fran’s tenure.
Almost 18 goddamn minutes with Brauns, Mulvey, Dembele, and Tadjo in place of him. It's indefensible and fucking stupid. How do Gatens or Spurlock sit there and not tell Fran he is a dumbfuck?
 
Last edited:

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,035
Reaction score
-3,376
It ended up being a nice effort and Sandfort was really bad at the beginning before turning it around.

Any complaints about the 2 foul rule are valid. Freeman sat for ~17 minutes in the first half. That’s unforgivable. It is the most maddening thing about Fran’s tenure.
 

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
3,550
Reaction score
1,039
I know what you're saying, guys, but I think this is just illustrative of the way a lot of people view this basketball. It's pretty stale and it's pretty difficult to find reasons for excitement. Frustrations with the overall program are articulated through negatively.

I didn't watch the game. I didn't know there was a game until I turned on a TV to see the start of Texas/Georgia and I saw that there was also an Iowa basketball game on. I have about as much concern for this team right now as I did when Alford was here (although my apathy is for a very different reason). I simply don't pay enough attention to be negative.
That’s me as well. Just apathetic regarding the team.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,596
Reaction score
1,859
I know what you're saying, guys, but I think this is just illustrative of the way a lot of people view this basketball. It's pretty stale and it's pretty difficult to find reasons for excitement. Frustrations with the overall program are articulated through negatively.

I didn't watch the game. I didn't know there was a game until I turned on a TV to see the start of Texas/Georgia and I saw that there was also an Iowa basketball game on. I have about as much concern for this team right now as I did when Alford was here (although my apathy is for a very different reason). I simply don't pay enough attention to be negative.
So you haven’t given a shit for 20 years. Cool, thanks for sharing.
 

LifelongHawk

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
6,208
Reaction score
6,325
I know what you're saying, guys, but I think this is just illustrative of the way a lot of people view this basketball. It's pretty stale and it's pretty difficult to find reasons for excitement. Frustrations with the overall program are articulated through negatively.

I didn't watch the game. I didn't know there was a game until I turned on a TV to see the start of Texas/Georgia and I saw that there was also an Iowa basketball game on. I have about as much concern for this team right now as I did when Alford was here (although my apathy is for a very different reason). I simply don't pay enough attention to be negative.
I'd argue that's a you problem and you're not really much of a fan of Iowa Hawkeye basketball.
Iowa Fan wants to bitch, Iowa Fan's gon bitch. There's always plenty to bitch about in a college basketball game, and I have no interest in a back and forth but I will push back on the

Maddening, criminal, incredibly stupid, indefensable roster decision causing 18 goddamn minutes w/o Freeman.
He got his fourth foul with 4:05 left in the game.
Iowa is a much different team, especially in the half-court offense, when Owen Freeman is in the game.
Owen Freeman has never demonstrated the ability to play with foul trouble.
If if they go to crunch time without him, that's bad.
At the very least, the hyperbole is unwarranted.
Goodnight Hawk fans.
 

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
18,542
Reaction score
18,887
I'd argue that's a you problem and you're not really much of a fan of Iowa Hawkeye basketball.
Iowa Fan wants to bitch, Iowa Fan's gon bitch. There's always plenty to bitch about in a college basketball game, and I have no interest in a back and forth but I will push back on the

Maddening, criminal, incredibly stupid, indefensable roster decision causing 18 goddamn minutes w/o Freeman.
He got his fourth foul with 4:05 left in the game.
Iowa is a much different team, especially in the half-court offense, when Owen Freeman is in the game.
Owen Freeman has never demonstrated the ability to play with foul trouble.
If if they go to crunch time without him, that's bad.
At the very least, the hyperbole is unwarranted.
Goodnight Hawk fans.
Titos
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
A) Make your damn free throws.

B) I never understand the logic of the 2 foul rule. Freeman always picks one up in the first couple minutes of every game. If your theory is you sit the rest of the half with 2, then why would he not sit until less than 10 minutes left in the half with 1? The dumbest part of sitting someone is you essentially always have them in foul trouble. The moment they pick up one they have to play the rest of the half as tentative as possible.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432
Not playing thelwell to start the 2nd half was more egregious than sitting freeman thru the 1st
Thelwell should have played more in the second half.

Fran's two foul usage is annoying because he's so rigid with it. A guy who averages 2 fouls a game, doesn't need to sit if he happens to pick up two in the first. But it's more justifiable with a guy like Freeman who does have an issue with fouls. It shouldn't have been the rest of the half, but I understand sitting him for a good chunk.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
A) Make your damn free throws.

B) I never understand the logic of the 2 foul rule. Freeman always picks one up in the first couple minutes of every game. If your theory is you sit the rest of the half with 2, then why would he not sit until less than 10 minutes left in the half with 1? The dumbest part of sitting someone is you essentially always have them in foul trouble. The moment they pick up one they have to play the rest of the half as tentative as possible.
Fran is going on 70 years old soon. He's coaching as if he's in a different era.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,596
Reaction score
1,859
He’ll be 70 in five years.
It is an older guy thing but not always. Pitino, Dutcher and Larranaga are below him in 2 foul participation. Calipari almost the same. But Hurley, Hoiberg, Sprinkle, Cronin, Brownell, Neptune are within 15 spots of him, all 335 or lower in 2 foul participation.
 

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
16,888
Reaction score
6,443
The free throw thing is the most upsetting aspect to me. JFC make your free throws!!
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
He’ll be 70 in five years.
It is an older guy thing but not always. Pitino, Dutcher and Larranaga are below him in 2 foul participation. Calipari almost the same. But Hurley, Hoiberg, Sprinkle, Cronin, Brownell, Neptune are within 15 spots of him, all 335 or lower in 2 foul participation.
Dr. Tom was run off at 59 years old. Fran's old.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
Tom signed a rapist, had several others get arrested, scheduled like shit, played too much golf, and got blown out at home by Georgia in the NIT.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
Tom signed a rapist, had several others get arrested, scheduled like shit, played too much golf, and got blown out at home by Georgia in the NIT.
Fran used the program to be with his sons for 7 years and is still stuck on zero NCAA tourney success and got ran out of the NIT by Utah last year.

Worst of all, in year where he had National POY Luka Garza, All-Big Ten Joe Wieskamp, the all time leading 3 point shooter, the future #4 first round pick in the NBA Draft, the future #21 first round pick in the NBA draft, CJ Fredrick and multiple others he chose to play the future 1st round NBA draft picks under 20 minutes per game combined and his own shithead rat fuck nepo baby sons 37.5 minutes per game combined.

If not for a whole lot of goodwill, Fran should have been sent to Iowa basketball prison for that complete fuck up.
 

B19Rob

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Mar 24, 2019
Messages
968
Reaction score
2,057
Fran used the program to be with his sons for 7 years and is still stuck on zero NCAA tourney success and got ran out of the NIT by Utah last year.

Worst of all, in year where he had National POY Luka Garza, All-Big Ten Joe Wieskamp, the all time leading 3 point shooter, the future #4 first round pick in the NBA Draft, the future #21 first round pick in the NBA draft, CJ Fredrick and multiple others he chose to play the future 1st round NBA draft picks under 20 minutes per game combined and his own shithead rat fuck nepo baby sons 37.5 minutes per game combined.

If not for a whole lot of goodwill, Fran should have been sent to Iowa basketball prison for that complete fuck up.
Just think, if we fans didn't shit on his sons so much, we might have had to endure 12 years of them. I think we can all take some pride in our efforts.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
I still like Fran, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that the Murray’s never started a game together. How he could watch them on the floor and not say ‘yeah they should be on the floor 35 minutes a game together’ is rather dumb.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
I still like Fran, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that the Murray’s never started a game together. How he could watch them on the floor and not say ‘yeah they should be on the floor 35 minutes a game together’ is rather dumb.
It's a fucking conundrum because he's literally the only high major coach that saw what they might become, but he was slow to pull the trigger on playing them early once he had them in favor of playing his own sons. I give him a minor pass the Murray's freshman year, but the fact that he didn't have both of them playing the entire game their sophomore years was an egregious mistake.

Kris only played 17 minutes per game while Pat was getting 24 and Connor was getting 17. All the advanced stats also showed that Kris played almost identical to Keegan during those minutes.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,813
I still like Fran, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that the Murray’s never started a game together. How he could watch them on the floor and not say ‘yeah they should be on the floor 35 minutes a game together’ is rather dumb.
I think we have plenty of examples as Iowa fans to support the statement that fathers don’t evaluate their sons objectively.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
I like Fran, but the endless saga with his kids has really soured his legacy along with the lack of NCAA tourney success and inability to ever get a decent PG. He's been wonderful with everything else. Developed multiple First Team All-Big Ten or NBA players at SG/SF/PF/C, but 15 years of garbage at the most important position in college basketball really puts a damper on everything.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
Bryce Cartwright
Mike Gesell
Anthony Clemmons
Trey Dickerson
Christian Williams
Jordan bohannon
Joe Toussaint
Connor McCaffery
Ahron Ulis
Dasonte Bowen
Brock Harding
Drew Thelwell

That is Fran's downfall right there. A mediocre to atrocious collection of college PG's. If he ever got a single above average PG, then Fran might have had a statue built outside of Carver-Hawkeye.

One of my worst Fran memories is when the PG situation got so bad he had Brady Ellingson playing PG against Colorado for 2 possessions and their guards smelled blood in the water to a level that I thought Ellingson might cry. I don't think he ever brought the ball up again the rest of his career.
 

Debit One

Chad
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
33,407
Reaction score
23,034
A not so fun game - rank that PG list.

Jordan bohannon
Mike Gesell
Anthony Clemmons
Drew Thelwell
Connor McCaffery
Bryce Cartwright
Joe Toussaint
Ahron Ulis
Brock Harding
Dasonte Bowen
Trey Dickerson
Christian Williams

 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
1. Bryce Cartwright
2. Jordan bohannon
3. Mike Gesell
4. Connor McCaffery
5. Drew Thelwell
6. Anthony Clemmons
7. Joe Toussaint
8. Brock Harding
9. Ahron Ulis
10. Dasonte Bowen
11. Christian Williams
12. Trey Dickerson
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
By the way, Fran's best PG at Iowa isn't even on this list. When he had Marble run the point, he was far better than any of these guys.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
LMAO at Fran (not Doug) that the guy who Doug has ranked #1 played 23 mpg as a senior, shot 35% from the field, 17% from three, and averaged 6.0 points per game.
Yep, it's basically Cartwright's junior year I am ranking him off of, his Senior year he was hurt a lot.

It's a damning statement on Fran for sure and he should be truly embarrassed about it.
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,946
We assumed getting him from Siena he'd bring us athletic, skilled point guards. Instead he's had literally the opposite.

Sitting at the iowa-isu game last year I was so fucking embarrassed for Josh Dix trying to bring the ball up against them.
 

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
1,880
I like Fran, but the endless saga with his kids has really soured his legacy along with the lack of NCAA tourney success and inability to ever get a decent PG. He's been wonderful with everything else. Developed multiple First Team All-Big Ten or NBA players at SG/SF/PF/C, but 15 years of garbage at the most important position in college basketball really puts a damper on everything.
I like Fran too but it would be a good thing if this were his last year here. We shouldn't have lifetime appointments for our coaches but at least Kirk has more equity built up. I appreciate what Fran has done but it's just time for some new blood in the men's hoops domain. He could retire on a good note with a decent team that might still end up in the tourney and then go watch his son play the next 4 years at Butler.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
I am guessing that Fran is like many other high major head coaches where he absolutely loves teaching the game and hates his wife, so he’s not gonna leave any earlier and then he has to.
 
Top