Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I only know of Kolar who is a nice TE. Is there a group of them?
If you're serious:

In addition to Kolar who was 2nd team Big 12 last year and in 2019 1st team Big 12, 2nd team AA by FWAA and PFF, and 3rd team AA by the AP this year, Chase Allen has twice been 2nd team all conference (2017 & 2019) , and Dylan Soehner was an excellent blocker at H-Back/TE. They played a lot of 3 TE sets, and probably should have done so more. It was their most effective look. Allen and Soehner are both more blockers, but capable receivers as well, and huge. Both 6'7" 250-270ish.

It's a good and deep group with 3 playing significant snaps and an all american type at the top. The best...doubtful. One of the best...certainly.

All three will be back next year, if you'd like a better look.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
If you're serious:

In addition to Kolar who was 2nd team Big 12 last year and in 2019 1st team Big 12, 2nd team AA by FWAA and PFF, and 3rd team AA by the AP this year, Chase Allen has twice been 2nd team all conference (2017 & 2019) , and Dylan Soehner was an excellent blocker at H-Back/TE. They played a lot of 3 TE sets, and probably should have done so more. It was their most effective look. Allen and Soehner are both more blockers, but capable receivers as well, and huge. Both 6'7" 250-270ish.

It's a good and deep group with 3 playing significant snaps and an all american type at the top. The best...doubtful. One of the best...certainly.

All stats should be reduced by 60% due to bullshit big 12 defense

eclone

Reaction score
If you're serious:

All stats should be reduced by 60% due to bullshit big 12 defense
So, not serious then...ok.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score
If you're serious:

Chase Allen had 17 catches this year.

Dylan Soehner had 7.

They're fine, but not "certainly" one of the best groups in the country. Jesus Christ.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Chase Allen has 29 catches in his 3 years at Iowa State. Soehner has 7.
Iowa has its worst production from the TE position in as long as I can recall but Laporte/Beyer/Wieting had 32 this year.
Completely honest here, I’ll take LaPorte over any of yours. And he’s a freshman.

eclone

Reaction score
If you're serious:

Chase Allen had 17 catches this year.

Dylan Soehner had 7.

They're fine, but not "certainly" one of the best groups in the country. Jesus Christ.
As second and third TEs with an AllAmerican candidate at 1st string. Sure they are. College teams don't have a Fant/Hockinson duo at the top of their roster, at least all but one team in CFB history hasn't. They're a top 10, possibly top 5 group this past year. And they're all back for next year. I'm good with that.

eclone

Reaction score
Iowa has its worst production from the TE position in as long as I can recall but Laporte/Beyer/Wieting had 32 this year.
Completely honest here, I’ll take LaPorte over any of yours. And he’s a freshman.
So your three players in maybe the tight end friendliest offense in the country had a total of 32 catches for 422 yards. The ISU three in an offense that has struggled at best for years to include the TE combined for 75 catches for 971 yards. With the sophomore Kolar alone outpacing the combined Iowa players by 40%. I believe that you're being completely honest with yourself that you'd take LaPorte over anyone from ISU. I just don't think many would agree.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score
It can never be "they're a good group." It has to be that they're certainly one of the best in the country.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
It can never be "they're a good group." It has to be that they're certainly one of the best in the country.
Bingo. This is the issue @eclone

They’re nice. Just like they have a decent QB.

If randy wouldn’t pop a money shot in every article he writes, there would be less of this.

eclone

Reaction score
Took you long enough to pull out the HaLo slam du jour of Cyclone fans. 5 posts is about 4 more than usual.

Sometimes, it's just true. And sometimes your supporter is talking about how a freshman is better than an All American.

Reaction score
So your three players in maybe the tight end friendliest offense in the country had a total of 32 catches for 422 yards. The ISU three in an offense that has struggled at best for years to include the TE combined for 75 catches for 971 yards. With the sophomore Kolar alone outpacing the combined Iowa players by 40%. I believe that you're being completely honest with yourself that you'd take LaPorte over anyone from ISU. I just don't think many would agree.
is the question LaPorta for three years ( possibly just two) or Allen/Kolar for (1+2, possibly just one years) or for just next year? I would take Kolar next year but could see LaPorta being better in 2021 given Iowa’s history there. Kolar is obviously very good right now.

Allen apparently has a good blocking rep since he was 1T with 7 catches or whatever in 2018. I don’t know enough/watch enough ISU to judge him.

Reaction score
Just because hey guys says you guys have 3 NFL tight ends on the roster, doesn't mean you have 3 NFL tight ends on the roster.

Reaction score
Eh, Kolar was probably one of the top 5 based on production. If Allen is even above average it’s probably a reasonable statement for the group overall to be top 5 or 10 which could be one of the best

eclone

Reaction score

If randy wouldn’t pop a money shot in every article he writes, there would be less of this.
I'm not Randy (thank God, although an Okoboji place and zero oversight at my job sounds nice) and I'm not whatever other Cyclone fan your painting with this brush. I just think in this case, it's true. It's not like college football TE groups are loaded all over the country. They're definitely the best group in a Power 5 conference of the Big 12. (one that as you all like to point out leans toward offense) I would think that makes them one of the best in the country. Like I said top 5-10. Most groups with an All American type starter, and two backups that have been 2nd team and HM all conference would be.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
I think Kolar is great. I'm more arguing (and it looks like I've been SCOOPED) that the GROUP is not "certainly one of the best in the country".... And yes, I would take LaPorte due to his ability to get down the field and his age.

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
What was this ELITE group’s line vs the non-Big 12 Iowa Hawkeye defense? Notre Dame’s non-Big 12 defense?

I’m not saying they suck, but the Big 12 comment is certainly relevant when looking at their collective stat line.

Reaction score
What was this ELITE group’s line vs the non-Big 12 Iowa Hawkeye defense? Notre Dame’s non-Big 12 defense?

I’m not saying they suck, but the Big 12 comment is certainly relevant when looking at their collective stat line.
Against Iowa, Kolar was 5 catches for 53 and Notre Dame he had 3 catches for 22

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Weird- Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame
3- Lowest yards avg and 0 TDs

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
Against a VERY depleted Iowa secondary, mind you.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The problem with Carver is all the fucking blue-hair whiners sitting in the prime seats and bitching whenever other fans deign to stand and cheer the team.

You'll notice nobody complains about Carver as a wrestling venue, because the crowds there are primarily composed of active fans rather than cranky olds.

Reseat the arena, park the blue-hairs up in the rafters so they don't have to walk as far, and you fix whatever problems Carver has.
The one giant bowl is good for sight lines but not the best for ingress/egress and concessions. And parking and not enough bars near the arena.

StinkyMcFadden

Has Seen a Decent Number of Mexican Penises
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Kolar over LaPorta.

Kolar is slow as fuck. If he's as shitty a blocker as I suspect he is, he will be lucky to not be going pro in something other than sports.

AZmess

Loved and Defended Lickliter Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
While this is all well and good the real take away is Iowa is going to curb stomp you guys. Again.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score

I'm not Randy (thank God, although an Okoboji place and zero oversight at my job sounds nice) and I'm not whatever other Cyclone fan your painting with this brush. I just think in this case, it's true. It's not like college football TE groups are loaded all over the country. They're definitely the best group in a Power 5 conference of the Big 12. (one that as you all like to point out leans toward offense) I would think that makes them one of the best in the country. Like I said top 5-10. Most groups with an All American type starter, and two backups that have been 2nd team and HM all conference would be.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
Trice is certainly one of the best stadiums in the country.

Randy is certainly one of the best sportswriters in the country

Soon Pollardville will certainly be one of the best floodplain dining experiences in the country.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
@eclone

you don’t get to hang up on us. Get the hell back in here and get your bag of dicks.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
Ricky Gervais needs to speak at the next ISU commencement

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

Wait, all 3 of them were all conference? Is there not another TE in the B12?

Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain and say Pollardville will be an embarrassing success. No fanbase pats themselves on the back, while achieving nothing, like Iowa State.

Just think of all the accosted Iowa State fans, decked out in Cardinal and Gold, loading up Karen and the kids after a tough day of work to drive the extra time to dine at the Cyclone Applebee's.

"Who but Cyclone fans could do this, son?!?!"

Karen might even let him get a Busch Light with his half priced appetizer.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain and say Pollardville will be an embarrassing success. No fanbase pats themselves on the back, while achieving nothing, like Iowa State.

Just think of all the accosted Iowa State fans, decked out in Cardinal and Gold, loading up Karen and the kids after a tough day of work to drive the extra time to dine at the Cyclone Applebee's.

Karen might even let him get a Busch Light with his half priced appetizer.
I’m sure the donor/owners of other establishments appreciate this venture.

Soda Popinski

Wears matching pajamas with no pockets
Reaction score

Karen might even let him get a Busch Light with his half priced appetizer. Prohm burger

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Big 12 teams don’t utilize their TE’s so having multiple all conference tight ends isn’t all that impressive. Top Big 12 TE’s by team:
Baylor: 5/33/0
Kansas: 7/72/1
K-State: 13/163/1
Oklahoma: 5/79/0
Ok St: 0/0/0
Texas: 11/159/1
TT: 26/311/0
WV: 6/24/0
TCU: 17/196/5

Creed

Doesn't go to the dentist
Reaction score
Yeah but he wasn’t a Pro Football Focus all American.