Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
If there's any Iowa fans here who think Zabel is one of the 4 most important figures in Iowa sports history, please identify yourselves immediately.

Also please post your home address so we can all come over and slap the shit out of you.
Zabel was ok, but not great. We look back at him more fondly because Dolphin is so terrible.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
This brings me little excitement, and makes me very uncomfortable...

I understand it with ISU returning 20/22 starters and 40/44 from the two-deeps, but the concern of overhype and reading press clippings is very, very high.

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
This brings me little excitement, and makes me very uncomfortable...

I understand it with ISU returning 20/22 starters and 40/44 from the two-deeps, but the concern of overhype and reading press clippings is very, very high.
The only way to meet expectations at this point are a 10-2 or 11-1 regular season followed by a Big XII Championship game and NY6 Bowl Game.

That is not an easy task on any level even for the most elite of programs. Doing it with a team that even as you point out returns 40/44 that has mid-level talent at best and needed some pretty extraordinary circumstances during a exhibition pandemic season to get to the hype they are is even more dangerous.

Iowa fans can tell you, 2010 was set up to be the year Iowa dominated and took the next step and that turned out pretty shitty.

thrawn

Reaction score
Even with everyone back, 10ish to 5ish is a pretty big leap. There also won’t be the same goofiness with the douche and P12.

thrawn

Reaction score
The only way to meet expectations at this point are a 10-2 or 11-1 regular season followed by a Big XII Championship game and NY6 Bowl Game.

That is not an easy task on any level even for the most elite of programs. Doing it with a team that even as you point out returns 40/44 that has mid-level talent at best and needed some pretty extraordinary circumstances during a exhibition pandemic season to get to the hype they are is even more dangerous.

Iowa fans can tell you, 2010 was set up to be the year Iowa dominated and took the next step and that turned out pretty shitty.
unless you have top 5 talent and can win 9 games by 14+ easily so much of it winds up being close game variance/luck. In 2009 Iowa was 4–2 in one-score games (and had a couple 2-score wins despite trailing in the 4Q) and was “clutch” especially after getting 4 close wins in a row to get to the top 5. The next year they were anti-clutch and 1–5 in the close games before the bowl. The reality is both years they were probably 15thish.

Iowa State deserved to be top 10 last year but went 4-1 in close games before the Big 12 title game. Not hard to see a couple breaks going the other way and a 9–4 finish this year with all the losses close.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
unless you have top 5 talent and can win 9 games by 14+ easily so much of it winds up being close game variance/luck. In 2009 Iowa was 4–2 in one-score games (and had a couple 2-score wins despite trailing in the 4Q) and was “clutch” especially after getting 4 close wins in a row to get to the top 5. The next year they were anti-clutch and 1–5 in the close games before the bowl. The reality is both years they were probably 15thish.

Iowa State deserved to be top 10 last year but went 4-1 in close games before the Big 12 title game. Not hard to see a couple breaks going the other way and a 9–4 finish this year with all the losses close.
Fuck you. Don't you dare take away the Orange Bowl.

Seriously, though, I think your point is a really good one.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You planning to be there?
you know it, Robert. The battle axe will be in Indianapolis for a bachelorette party and I’ve been meaning to get out there to see my best friends kid so this weekend is pretty ideal to sneak in some Hawkeye football spring practice or whatever the fuck they’ll be doing.

Reaction score
But serious question, LOL @ #5....but who in the B12 is even going to be any good this year to challenge them?

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
But serious question, LOL @ #5....but who in the B12 is even going to be any good this year to challenge them?
Well, I guess I'd start with the 3 Big 12 teams in the top 9, and then click on the link and see 7 Big 12 teams in the top 25, and go from there.

And MissState might be even more LOL than PSU. It's a computer ranking like 5 months before the season starts...it's all for a laugh.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'd start with the 3 Big 12 teams in the top 9, and then click on the link and see 7 Big 12 teams in the top 25, and go from there.

And MissState might be even more LOL than PSU. It's a computer ranking like 5 months before the season starts...it's all for a laugh.
Fuck OU and OSU. Same shit every year with them

Reaction score

How many Sun Belt teams in the top 25?

Reaction score

Lmfao. Even OSU’s own beat writers are predicting top 25-ish instead of top 10

And the middle of that conference has a TON of question marks