Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Stinky after their loss to Toledo was also a highlight of this thread.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
His reference to 2014 does bring up the question of what your least favorite Ferentz team has been. I'm not talking most disappointing (that would be 2010 for me) or worst (2012 not counting his first year), I'm talking about team that just was atrocious or frustrating or circumstances around it made you despise them.

I always go back and forth between the 2007 and 2014 teams....

2007 - CityBoyzInc. had infected the team and were arrested in August before the season started. Jake Christensen went from highly rated next QB in line after Tate to seeing he was terrible by the first full game he played. Season was ugly from the start with a crappy win against Northern Illinois at Soldier Field. Lost 4 in a row including maddening games against Iowa State and Wisconsin.

Turned it around and won 4 out of 5 including what I think was a ranked Michigan State and Illinois. All they had to do was beat Western Michigan at home to finish 7-5 and go to a bowl game, but they played maybe one of the worst games I have ever seen at Kinnick.

They were no fun to watch, filled with shitty characters, garbage QB, had low effort and didn't even make a bowl game.

2014 - came off a pretty good season the year before, but Greg Davis offense was already infuriating and Rudock was as flashy as a middle school math teacher. The RB situation was garbage. Talent was there at other positions, but there was obviously a division going on between wanting Beathard vs. Rudock and effort sometimes sucked.

One of the worst losses ever against a terrible Iowa State team at home, but still started 6-1. Should have been 7-1, but Greg Davis and the defense sucked dick against Maryland. Blown out at Minnesota. Should have beat Wisconsin at home and then the debacle against Nebrantska and Tennessee to end the year.

Hated watching both of these teams.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the reason I put that post about hating the 2007 and 2014 Iowa teams in this Iowa State Football Bashing thread was to show that the 2 teams Ferentz had that I hated the most would have been 2 of the better Iowa State teams during the last 20 years and their idiot fans would have made posters and tshirts and coins to commemorate their epic 6-6 and 7-6 finishes.

Rob Gray would be prepping a 2 part oral history on the program changing win against a 1-11 Minnesota team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Did anyone see that Rob Gray / Cyclone Fanatic article I am talking about a few weeks ago?

They actually did a 2 part oral history on a home win against Texas Tech in 2016 and how it was a pivotal program changing moment.
  • The game was on November 19th, 2016 and started at 2:30pm. It was 38 degrees with a 23 degree wind chill. The game finished in the dark against a shitty team from Texas that was miserable and gave up by the middle of the 1st quarter because it was too cold.
  • Texas Tech finished 5-7
  • Iowa State finished 3-9
  • Attendance officially was 50k, but actual attendance was closer to 20k
  • Iowa State, after this epic program changing win worthy of a 2 part oral history, went out and got crushed 49-19 by West Virginia the following week.

gable_guy

Reaction score
Did anyone see that Rob Gray / Cyclone Fanatic article I am talking about a few weeks ago?

They actually did a 2 part oral history on a home win against Texas Tech in 2016 and how it was a pivotal program changing moment.
  • The game was on November 19th, 2016 and started at 2:30pm. It was 38 degrees with a 23 degree wind chill. The game finished in the dark against a shitty team from Texas that was miserable and gave up by the middle of the 1st quarter because it was too cold.
  • Texas Tech finished 5-7
  • Iowa State finished 3-9
  • Attendance officially was 50k, but actual attendance was closer to 20k
  • Iowa State, after this epic program changing win worthy of a 2 part oral history, went out and got crushed 49-19 by West Virginia the following week.
Just a classic matchup of NFL first round QBs...

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
His reference to 2014 does bring up the question of what your least favorite Ferentz team has been. I'm not talking most disappointing (that would be 2010 for me) or worst (2012 not counting his first year), I'm talking about team that just was atrocious or frustrating or circumstances around it made you despise them.

2007 - CityBoyzInc. had infected the team and were arrested in August before the season started. Jake Christensen went from highly rated next QB in line after Tate to seeing he was terrible by the first full game he played. Season was ugly from the start with a crappy win against Northern Illinois at Soldier Field. Lost 4 in a row including maddening games against Iowa State and Wisconsin.

Turned it around and won 4 out of 5 including what I think was a ranked Michigan State and Illinois. All they had to do was beat Western Michigan at home to finish 7-5 and go to a bowl game, but they played maybe one of the worst games I have ever seen at Kinnick.

They were no fun to watch, filled with shitty characters, garbage QB, had low effort and didn't even make a bowl game.

2014 - came off a pretty good season the year before, but Greg Davis offense was already infuriating and Rudock was as flashy as a middle school math teacher. The RB situation was garbage. Talent was there at other positions, but there was obviously a division going on between wanting Beathard vs. Rudock and effort sometimes sucked.

One of the worst losses ever against a terrible Iowa State team at home, but still started 6-1. Should have been 7-1, but Greg Davis and the defense sucked dick against Maryland. Blown out at Minnesota. Should have beat Wisconsin at home and then the debacle against Nebrantska and Tennessee to end the year.

Iowa state football bashing only plz!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa state football bashing only plz!
I forgot to mention, the reason I put that post about hating the 2007 and 2014 Iowa teams in this Iowa State Football Bashing thread was to show that the 2 teams Ferentz had that I hated the most would have been 2 of the better Iowa State teams during the last 20 years and their idiot fans would have made posters and tshirts and coins to commemorate their epic 6-6 and 7-6 finishes.

Rob Gray would be prepping a 2 part oral history on the program changing win against a 1-11 Minnesota team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa State up 35-28 with 1:31 to go with the football and 1st down and pretty sure that Kansas State didn't have any timeouts.

Kansas State wins in regulation!!!!

Isn't that impossible?

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
That last fucking fumble there are two Iowa ST players standing right there and some how a Kansas St player not only gets it but runs with a few yards

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

thrawn

Reaction score
An oral history of Monica Smith’s 2015 Waterloo City Council campaign

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Someone plz post the Hey Guys radio interview summary of that NDSU game.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
That of course is a great one. I also submit when a team beat them by 52 points and that team actually dropped in the rankings and missed the college football playoff....

View attachment 20796
I'd drop @gable_guy's first two and add these last two. Those were just hilarious beat downs. The ND State game was awesome for the Cyclone condescension, this game like you said for dropping TCU out of the playoffs.

Also, I wouldn't put it over any of the already mentioned games, but I'll give Honorable Mention to a historic, program redefining season ending 7-6 with this game:

1595090214736.png

douglasbader

Reaction score
I am sure I have mentioned this before, but I think "Oral History" articles are among the most annoying pseudo-journalism bullshit ever created and now heaped upon the world by places like Grantland/Ringer, Vox, Vice and other super edgy "media".

thrawn

Reaction score
I am sure I have mentioned this before, but I think "Oral History" articles are among the most annoying pseudo-journalism bullshit ever created and now heaped upon the world by places like Grantland/Ringer, Vox, Vice and other super edgy "media".
I’ve always thought they were lazy. Like “I’m going to just transcribe the interview answers, arrange time a bit, and call it a day instead of actually developing an article”.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Holy shit at this quote from the oral history article that Rob Gray posted. What a fucking bunch of dorks. "You should have passed up that job with one of the only remaining big papers in the world so you could stay in Ames and cover Matt Campbell and their incredible story."

There is zero chance that another human being, especially in Dallas, TX came up to this guy talking about Iowa State football. Zero chance someone did that AND told him he should have stayed in Ames. He totally made that up.

MATT CAMPBELL HAS NEVER WON MORE THAN 8 GAMES AT IOWA STATE.

Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 11.57.32 AM.png

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Holy shit at this quote from the oral history article that Rob Gray posted. What a fucking bunch of dorks. "You should have passed up that job with one of the only remaining big papers in the world so you could stay in Ames and cover Matt Campbell and their incredible story."

There is zero chance that another human being, especially in Dallas, TX came up to this guy talking about Iowa State football. Zero chance someone did that AND told him he should have stayed in Ames. He totally made that up.

MATT CAMPBELL HAS NEVER WON MORE THAN 8 GAMES AT IOWA STATE.

View attachment 20799
"I still have people come up to me...". He didn't say they were normal people. I'm sure Iowa State fans *do* tell him that.

thrawn

Reaction score
Every fan base in sports talks themselves into believing that something *could* happen with any team/season, but Iowa State seems to be the one that convinces themselves that something *did* happen, regardless of reality.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The way they were celebrating on the sideline after stopping Kansas State and getting the ball back up 7 was the best part.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Someone plz post the Hey Guys radio interview summary of that NDSU game.
Chris Williams: Real quick, we need a pick from you, John. Who do you got and what's the score?

NDSU John: I got NDSU and I absolutely believe they'll win by double digits. So...

Brent Blum: LOL. Wow??!! What??! Wow??! Wooo!

Chris Williams: JOHN???!!!

NDSU John: I put it somewhere around NDSU 35-14. I don't see how you guys put up over 17 points. It would blow my mind-it really would.

Chris Williams: All right. Well, we're gonna quote you on that. We got this recorded and we're gonna play it on the air next week if Iowa State puts up more than 17 points.

NDSU John: It's the same song and dance the Kansas State guy said to me last time. They called me a homer. They said you're coming to play the big boys. It's fine. They tend to forget me the week after the game, but I do appreciate being on with you guys. Anytime you guys want to talk Missouri Valley football or NDSU…

Chris Williams: (Interrupts, very condescending) Trust me, we won't be talking Missouri Valley football again…but if Iowa State plays NDSU again, we'll absolutely call you again. (trailing)You've been a great guest.

Several minutes later………….

Brent Blum: Our buddy John from NDSU needs a physical. My word man.

Chris Williams: Now that you've had time to digest that…

Brent Blum: I'm floored.

Chris Williams: The thing is…I know they're good. It's not like we were coming off as these condescending Iowa State guys, were we?

Brent Blum: No. Well, maybe in his mind. To predict that an FCS team would beat a Big 12 team, even though they won 3 games, we realize this, by 3 TDs...is just asinine. It's a shame that the college football playoff is only 4 teams because if there were 5, NDSU would be in it.

Chris Williams: What boggled me about the conversation we just had,though, is that much confidence in anything. I've been saying all week from an Iowa State standpoint, I'm not concerned about North Dakota State because I know they're going to be good. I know exactly what to expect from the... BIZON (condescending) on Saturday. It's all Iowa State to me. And 2, for him to be so guaranteed lock-down, Iowa State's not scoring 17 points…That's ASININE.

Final Score:

NDSU 34
ISU 14

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
Chris Williams: Real quick, we need a pick from you, John. Who do you got and what's the score?

NDSU John: I got NDSU and I absolutely believe they'll win by double digits. So...

NDSU John: I put it somewhere around NDSU 35-14. I don't see how you guys put up over 17 points. It would blow my mind-it really would.

Chris Williams: All right. Well, we're gonna quote you on that. We got this recorded and we're gonna play it on the air next week if Iowa State puts up more than 17 points.

NDSU John: It's the same song and dance the Kansas State guy said to me last time. They called me a homer. They said you're coming to play the big boys. It's fine. They tend to forget me the week after the game, but I do appreciate being on with you guys. Anytime you guys want to talk Missouri Valley football or NDSU…

Chris Williams: (Interrupts, very condescending) Trust me, we won't be talking Missouri Valley football again…but if Iowa State plays NDSU again, we'll absolutely call you again. (trailing)You've been a great guest.

Chris Williams: The thing is…I know they're good. It's not like we were coming off as these condescending Iowa State guys, were we?

Brent Blum: No. Well, maybe in his mind. To predict that an FCS team would beat a Big 12 team, even though they won 3 games, we realize this, by 3 TDs...is just asinine. It's a shame that the college football playoff is only 4 teams because if there were 5, NDSU would be in it.

Chris Williams: What boggled me about the conversation we just had,though, is that much confidence in anything. I've been saying all week from an Iowa State standpoint, I'm not concerned about North Dakota State because I know they're going to be good. I know exactly what to expect from the... BIZON (condescending) on Saturday. It's all Iowa State to me. And 2, for him to be so guaranteed lock-down, Iowa State's not scoring 17 points…That's ASININE.

Final Score:

NDSU 34
ISU 14
I want to tattoo this on my chest.

Reaction score
Iowa won in 2015, yes?
Yes, I got fixated on the NDSU portion and the horrors of two weeks later, as Iowa prevented them from going 1-11, and looked right over the next sentence. Red cape to the bull, I guess. I'll do better. (Well no, probly won't...)

Reaction score

Final Score:

NDSU 34
ISU 14
i obviously love everything about this transcription but "very condescending" is the extra touch that gets me every time.

Reaction score

'14 was worse for me. LB was a black hole and Canzeri being dinged really hurt the RB situation, but it was a pretty veteran team that went dead a lot. I left the '14 spring game downcast, knowing the QB with the talent was going to sit and watch the "steady" one. It also looked like a team lacking unity. The Willies situation was maddening and Kirk's demeanour was pretty insufferable.

'07 was uglier to watch, but it was a young team (albeit more talented than '14) that lost it's top TE and #1 WR. The QB was awful, but he was all they had, young Rick not even being #2 and Nelson allegedly turning down the opportunity to challenge during the season. They somehow beat a top 20 team and even managed a late year 3-game win streak. In hindsight, Western Michigan might have been the best thing, saving a bowl game embarrassment and insuring a legit QB competition in the spring.