Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
I have some Clone fan friends who went to the ISU/K-State games at Arrowhead about 10 years ago. They went with a group of 5-6 couples or so. Just by chance they were tailgating next to Mahoney's grandparents. It was normal tailgating with strangers. Sharing food and drinks and everyone having a good time.

A couple of the women in my friends' group were a bit overserved and either didn't make it into the game or they left early to sleep it off a bit. Either way, they got their second wind and were drinking again by the time people were leaving the stadium as the game ended (which they didn't see or hear at all). The grandparents got back before my friends' group and the gals (trying to be friendly) held up their drinks and yelled "Yeah Mahoney!" The grandparents didn't say anything. They just got in their car and drove off. The gals thought "what the hell was there problem?"

This was their problem:

Cool story, bro! For real.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
From a national Athletic article:

Even Iowa State losing to Louisiana wasn’t all that strange historically. Though it was the Ragin’ Cajuns’ first win against a ranked opponent since 1996, Iowa State has a record of only 18-24-2 when playing as a ranked team, joining Vanderbilt as the two Power 5 teams that are below .500 when ranked.

Link (Paywall)

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
It is almost like the few times they are ranked, they were overranked anyway. So the pollsters are giving ISU too much respect and props and need to start treating them more fairly (shittier).
Exactly. They suck and they're overrated.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
It is almost like the few times they are ranked, they were overranked anyway. So the pollsters are giving ISU too much respect and props and need to start treating them more fairly (shittier).
for the fanbase that is perpetually slighted this is going to create a tremendously uncomfortable cognitive dissonance

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
From a national Athletic article:
Even Iowa State losing to Louisiana wasn’t all that strange historically. Though it was the Ragin’ Cajuns’ first win against a ranked opponent since 1996, Iowa State has a record of only 18-24-2 when playing as a ranked team, joining Vanderbilt as the two Power 5 teams that are below .500 when ranked.
Link (Paywall)
This is phenomenal. I'm going to bookmark this for future "get no respect" conversations.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
That's incredible for a variety of reasons.

They're 519-648-45 all time, which means that Iowa State has played over 1,200 games in history and only been ranked for 44 of them. Less than 4% of the time in over 120 years of playing football have they been considered one of the top 25 teams in the country.

That historical record is also essentially identical to their ranked record (slightly worse, FWIW), which means that contrary to their "no respect" mantra, every time that pollsters throw them a bone and think that they've turned some sort of corner, they are exactly who they've always been historically.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
I was surprised they had played 44 games as a ranked team.
This says they have been ranked 52 times in the AP polls, and they are all listed here.

They have been ranked in the Top 10 one time, ever, for a single week.

9 times there were in the top 15.

24 of those 52 times they were ranked 20 - 25th.

thrawn

Reaction score

They're 519-648-45 all time, which means that Iowa State has played over 1,200 games in history and only been ranked for 44 of them. Less than 4% of the time in over 120 years of playing football have they been considered one of the top 25 teams in the country.

That historical record is also essentially identical to their ranked record (slightly worse, FWIW), which means that contrary to their "no respect" mantra, every time that pollsters throw them a bone and think that they've turned some sort of corner, they are exactly who they've always been historically.
They have only finished a season ranked by the AP twice. Iowa has finished a season ranked by the AP twice during the last two seasons.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
This says they have been ranked 52 times in the AP polls, and they are all listed here.

They have been ranked in the Top 10 one time, ever, for a single week.

9 times there were in the top 15.

24 of those 52 times they were ranked 20 - 25th.

Iowa has been ranked 336 times in the AP rankings, and by my very quick count have been ranked in the Top 10: 122 times.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
After analyzing the most recent data, I have concluded that Iowa State sucks hairy mule cocks and always has whereas Iowa has been much more successful over an extended time (1+ centuries).

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
This might actually help support the problem Iowa State has

Despite finding perhaps the only team with a more pathetic record of football accomplishments.....Indiana has somehow produced a staggeringly larger amount of NFL talent.

Then couple this with Indiana being a significantly better academic institution AND one of the most storied basketball programs of all time....it’s difficult to understand how they throw mud at ANY other P5 team.

So the football program MAY be a coin flip. Indiana probably wins every other category imaginable
@Greg Obrecht

The comparison holds up only if we are looking solely at College Football. Even then, the argument for the two resolves itself pretty quickly

Indiana holds a sizable advantage in number of All-Americans, Total number of NFL draft selections and staggering 12 to 1 advantage in First Round Picks

I believe that allows us to definitively conclude that Iowa State is THE WORST of all time. Just the worst

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I should just bump about a dozen posts from the off season, but anyone that actually follows their program and isn't wearing ISU colored glasses could see what they were going to be.

Their OL was shit last year and they lost pretty much all of them and had shittier guys taking over this year. They lost a lot of their good DL and others. The WR's were mediocre last year and looked to be worst this year. Purdy looks awesome when playing shit defenses and mediocre or bad when playing anyone with a pulse.

Miracle against a mediocre Texas team at home. Needed a comeback in the 4th quarter at home against a bad Kansas team. Dismantled by Kansas State and Notre Dame.

What would give anyone the idea that they were going to be a Top 25 team?
Maybe they meant Top 25 in the Big 12.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of amazing players at Kinnick, but Randle El is easily in the top 3 for me. Terrifying.
It's not often your starting QB is also a kick returner

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score

Any game before 1936 shouldn't count as the AP didn't exist until then.

That said, and to continue the shitting on Iowa State, ISU's 44 games is far less than Iowa's 258 games as a ranked team. And a .432 winning percentage in those games is not as good as Iowa's .659.