Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The safety running away from the LOS for 20 yds with his back turned, to get to an empty spot was my favorite play. Wish there was a gif of that.
I think my favorite was when they finally got a stop on 3rd down (when Purdy looked like he spike fumbled the ball) but #6 got called for holding and he was complaining about the call. They showed the replay and he didn’t do anything but hold the entire play. Really sound coaching there. 1 play later Iowa State scored on a 63 yard pass play after the defender whiffed on the ball and the rest of OUs defense was trying to tackle the right guard.

thrawn

Reaction score
I said it in chat, but this game was over the second that Riley decided it was a good idea to kick a FG from the 1 yard line on the opening drive.

He knows his defense is shit and he knows his QB and offense is young and not as good as the last few years. That means he needs to take as many opportunities to score as many points as he can.

Kicking that fg was a gutless pussy move as well as just fucking dumb.
If teams would actually practice plays that weren’t shotgun 4th and 1 wouldn’t always seem like 4th and 6

CamelTones

Reaction score
He made freshman mistakes but the skills are there. That one 40-yd throw he made on the run should have been caught.
He had a similar play earlier from about the 20 where he zipped it between the 2 defenders into the end zone but his receiver (Mims I think) let it drill his hands without catching it. The one you’re talking about the guy didn’t even get his hands to the ball. He looked blind.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Cyclone fans: are you worried about Purdy? His stats are in the toilet this year, and has bad turnovers.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa has had some points in games or even a few games when they have not tackled well or things snowball and they suck. From then on it is usually fixed on some level and they play physical and disciplined after. 2016 comes to mind when they were embarrassed at Penn State but then came roaring back against Michigan the next week.

I try to imagine Phil Parker coaching a defense like Oklahoma. It makes me laugh.

That is one of the reasons I mentioned that I can't believe a school like Oklahoma that is a decent defense away from being a true national champion the last few years, or even a program like Texas that could be an actual Top 10 team again if they had a stout defense doesn't come in and hire Parker and pay him like $1.5m per year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Cyclone fans: are you worried about Purdy? His stats are in the toilet this year, and has bad turnovers.
No shit, they are winning in spite of Purdy. He's been bad.

Tonight alone he had 5 passes that legitimately would have been picked by a decent defense and fumbled twice. I think his completion percentage was under 50%.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Lol just remembered the play where Hall went to hurdle the OU defender who in turn also jumped and they both just landed on their feet out of bounds.

thrawn

Reaction score
No shit, they are winning in spite of Purdy. He's been bad.

Tonight alone he had 5 passes that legitimately would have been picked by a decent defense and fumbled twice. I think his completion percentage was under 50%.
Hall is clearly the best player on their offense but Purdy is the hero ball guy in basketball. they are going to have a game where they throw 45 times with 3 picks in a close game while Hall has 60 yards on only 10 carries

same thing happened with Montgomery and Park

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Hall is clearly the best player on their offense but Purdy is the hero ball guy in basketball. they are going to have a game where they throw 45 times with 3 picks in a close game while Hall has 60 yards on only 10 carries
Nwangu is no slouch

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
Iowa has had some points in games or even a few games when they have not tackled well or things snowball and they suck. From then on it is usually fixed on some level and they play physical and disciplined after. 2016 comes to mind when they were embarrassed at Penn State but then came roaring back against Michigan the next week.

I try to imagine Phil Parker coaching a defense like Oklahoma. It makes me laugh.

That is one of the reasons I mentioned that I can't believe a school like Oklahoma that is a decent defense away from being a true national champion the last few years, or even a program like Texas that could be an actual Top 10 team again if they had a stout defense doesn't come in and hire Parker and pay him like $1.5m per year.
I think teams get a little soft when offenses are in shotgun formation, at least three wide on every 3rd and short.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Now that we have seen 3 games of Iowa State, I still don't think they are good, but the Big XII is so bad that I do think they do something like the following.....

Texas Tech - W
@Oklahoma State - L
@Kansas - W
Baylor - W
Kansas State - W
@Texas - L
@WVU - W

They could end up like 7-3 and wouldn't surprise me. If they were ever going to go to the Big XII Championship game, this is the year.

Reaction score

At some point it just comes from the top with philosophy, emphasis in practice, recruiting, etc. It's not like this has just been one bad DC and defensive staff. But yeah, with the talent they can get, it's crazy. Riley doesn't need to be Nick Saban but Lord. If you're undersized and fast so you struggle with the run, you should be better in coverage and/or have some legit pass rushers.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Either both Texas and OU are 2-2 after next week or OU walks off that field at 1-3.

thrawn

Reaction score
Nwangu is no slouch
correct and if they lead with the RBs and keep Purdy to slants/crosses and outs they will be fine. But he loves rolling out/back and unleashing a wounded duck off his back foot because he has clearly read his press clippings a ton.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Now that we have seen 3 games of Iowa State, I still don't think they are good, but the Big XII is so bad that I do think they do something like the following.....

Texas Tech - W
@Oklahoma State - L
@Kansas - W
Baylor - W
Kansas State - W
@Texas - L
@WVU - W

They could end up like 7-3 and wouldn't surprise me. If they were ever going to go to the Big XII Championship game, this is the year.
That seems reasonable although if history means anything they'll lose to one or more of those really bad teams.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

Texas Tech - W
@Oklahoma State - L
@Kansas - W
Baylor - W
Kansas State - W
@Texas - L
@WVU - W

yep

they need to grab 2020 by the balls because it ain’t happening again

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
correct and if they lead with the RBs and keep Purdy to slants/crosses and outs they will be fine. But he loves rolling out/back and unleashing a wounded duck off his back foot because he has clearly read his press clippings a ton.
you will never convince me that the game plan tonight wasn’t for Arm Punt Purdy to hang up cans of corn to get inexperienced DBs to grab and get PI calls.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That seems reasonable although if history means anything they'll lose to one or more of those really bad teams.
I thought Kansas would be improved, but they are as bad as ever. Texas Tech might catch fire, but it is in Ames. Baylor and West Virginia are mediocre at best. Texas should be 1-2 right now. Oklahoma State struggled to win their opener. They all fucking blow.

CamelTones

Reaction score
At some point it just comes from the top with philosophy, emphasis in practice, recruiting, etc. It's not like this has just been one bad DC and defensive staff. But yeah, with the talent they can get, it's crazy. Riley doesn't need to be Nick Saban but Lord. If you're undersized and fast so you struggle with the run, you should be better in coverage and/or have some legit pass rushers.
Their biggest issue is containment/pursuit. They got pressure but let Purdy basically roll to his right out of it every time. ISU got that one long play but for the most part their receivers did nothing. It was basically jump balls to Kolar or wide open 10 yard throws to Allen/Kolar.

They are just terrible at forcing the ball back inside. Like a bunch of Lebron Daniels our there. ISU did a much better job of rushing up field making Rattler step up then swimming back inside the lineman for the tackle. OU players take themselves out of the play. The one time they kept Purdy in the pocket he fumbled.

douglasbader

Reaction score
you will never convince me that the game plan tonight wasn’t for Arm Punt Purdy to hang up cans of corn to get inexperienced DBs to grab and get PI calls.
I'll continue to say it over and over and I know that others have said it, but teams are insane if you don't throw down the field at least 10+ times per game. There is almost never a truly bad outcome. The last throw that Rattler made not included, but even that should have been a free 15 yards or a TD if the refs are competent.

Reaction score
Hall is pretty good. He is quicker than Montgomery but has his ability to turn 3 yard runs into 6. Always seems to have his momentum going forward.
I liked Goodson 1A when they were being recruited, but Hall was a coin flip 1B. Everyone was concerned about 4-star Brock, but those guys looked better.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I liked Goodson 1A when they were being recruited, but Hall was a coin flip 1B. Everyone was concerned about 4-star Brock, but those guys looked better.
Did Iowa recruit Hall?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Oklahoma sucks ass. The entire big 12 is trash. There are no good teams.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
If we win more conference games then the other schools we can win the conference

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
If teams would actually practice plays that weren’t shotgun 4th and 1 wouldn’t always seem like 4th and 6
This makes me appreciate Stanley and what he did in short yardage situations. If we had a 4th and 1/2 yards to gain it seemed he could tuck behind Linderbaum and usually get 3/4/5 yards on a great push.

That one pass in the end-zone the DB was playing volleyball. That guy batted it down like it was the final desperation pass of the game. He was in perfect position to intercept for a touch-back. OU deserved to lose that game more than ISU deserved to win.

Reaction score
Did Iowa recruit Hall?
Not sure how far things got, but he was offered in the Jan-Feb area of 2018. I think they were really all in on Goodson by the time they got him in for a visit in April. There was a commitment flurry in summer as Hall committed on 6-28, Goodson 7-3 and Brock 7-6. Then Byrd committed in December (and he's looking good in the practice pics).

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Hall is good, but it’s sometimes hard to tell how good. Like, does he get four yards after contact because he’s strong and has great balance, or does he get those yards because Big XII defenses couldn’t tackle Ron Santo during the last ten years is his life?