Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Reaction score
Not surprising, but, they have gone from 2 players in New York for the Heisman Ceremony to one of them needs to be benched for another player after 2 games. In addition, there is talk that said QB to be benched is still going to be in the NFL.

Also, turnovers are not part of the game and should be excluded from analysis and, stats are really a good indicator, as Iowa State gained 135 yards in the last 6 minutes when down by 17

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I was really impressed with Campbell's post-game press conference. The first thing he did was compliment Iowa and credit them for their victory.

The second thing he did was take full responsibility for our team's lack of execution. He said numerous times it's all on him and him alone.

Then Campbell very patiently and respectfully answered every question which had to be tough.

I couldn't help contrasting that with other coaches' press conferences after disappointing losses (e.g., Fran McCaffrey). You really see a person's true colors when they're dealing with adversity.

It's during these difficult times that I feel more than ever how fortunate we are to have a coach like Campbell who leads by example.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
I enjoy visualizing three entirely separate conversations, with three entirely different friends, during which the completely not-random-at-all-topic of "if the Iowa State game goes away, how will it affect your business?" just organically comes up. All three times.

Or, alternatively, a miniature downtown business owners' summit at the Childress home whereat our host begins the evening with, "I've brought you all together this evening to discuss a not-random-at-all-topic..."

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
If you wouldn’t have kept hitting it to my backhand I would’ve beat your ass.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
If you don't let Iowa do a bunch of the things Iowa does better than almost anyone else, they aren't very good.

These people need to find leisure activities that don't include sports.
The thing that must be pretty uncomfortable is it seems Campbell, and by extension all of Iowa State's fandom wants to have a Ferentzesqe program. They want to be tough on the lines, to run the ball, and to beat the shit out of teams on defense. They want that style, and try to play it, and Iowa made them quit.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The most pathetic thing about all of this "turnover" talk is acting as if they are complete flukes and chance similar to when they led the nation in fumbles recovered or lost. That stat is always a complete fluke that evens itself out.

Interception #1 was a late, underthrown duck by their noodle armed QB to a WR being covered by an All-Big Ten CB. It was no accident.

Fumble #1 was a ridiculous move by an athletic and talented LB that punched the ball out intentionally. The bounce and recovery was a fluke, but the punch out fumble wasn't.

Interception #2 was a poorly thrown ball that was too hard and too high to a receiver crossing and picked by a disciplined LB that was in the perfect position to take advantage of it.

Interception #3 was a terrible throw that was going to be run back for a pick 6 if it doesn't get deflected. Even if you think it wasn't, the DE made a great play deflecting the ball that led to an easy interception. It wasn't an accident, the DE is coached to do exactly what he did.

They are a bunch of morons that have no clue how football actually works. They were outplayed by a better and supremely more disciplined team. As much as we shit on Petras for being a pants shitting goober, he knows enough to not do what Purdy did and has done for years now.
If you are looking for a simple difference between the 2 programs and why one is renowned and one is a historical joke, there you go.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I don’t mean to belabor my point in the ISU bashing thread, but I feel it worth mentioning in this very important thread: since my wife and I met, Iowa has not lost to Iowa State.

For greater context, upon Iowa’s loss in 2014, I bought us four shots of Fireball and we bemoaned the loss. I was immediately attracted to her when she pulled beers out of her purse at Joe’s Place; I am a simple man.

Since that day, we married, had two kids, and have not lost to Iowa State. Paul Rhoad’ had ISU on better trajectory than Coach Matt fucking Campbell.
Same here. Met my wife (an ISU grad) at the end of summer 2014. Got married and have had 3 kids since the last time ISU beat Iowa. I think you and I can take credit for all of this.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
The most pathetic thing about all of this "turnover" talk is acting as if they are complete flukes and chance similar to when they led the nation in fumbles recovered or lost. That stat is always a complete fluke that evens itself out.

Interception #1 was a late, underthrown duck by their noodle armed QB to a WR being covered by an All-Big Ten CB. It was no accident.

Fumble #1 was a ridiculous move by an athletic and talented LB that punched the ball out intentionally. The bounce and recovery was a fluke, but the punch out fumble wasn't.

Interception #2 was a poorly thrown ball that was too hard and too high to a receiver crossing and picked by a disciplined LB that was in the perfect position to take advantage of it.

Interception #3 was a terrible throw that was going to be run back for a pick 6 if it doesn't get deflected. Even if you think it wasn't, the DE made a great play deflecting the ball that led to an easy interception. It wasn't an accident, the DE is coached to do exactly what he did.

They are a bunch of morons that have no clue how football actually works. They were outplayed by a better and supremely more disciplined team. As much as we shit on Petras for being a pants shitting goober, he knows enough to not do what Purdy did and has done for years now.
If you are looking for a simple difference between the 2 programs and why one is renowned and one is a historical joke, there you go.
People don't get turnover luck.

What's lucky is your specific ratio of fumbles recovered / total fumbles. Like you said, like the ISU year where they fumbled like 9 times but recovered all of them. That's lucky. A team that doesn't put the ball on the ground isn't lucky.

What's lucky is your ratio of interceptions / passes broken up. But if you force the ball out a lot, and if your secondary is great in coverage and defends passes well like the Iowa secondary, you're going to get a lot of turnovers on defense. That isn't luck.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

What's lucky is your specific ratio of fumbles recovered / total fumbles. Like you said, like the ISU year where they fumbled like 9 times but recovered all of them. That's lucky. A team that doesn't put the ball on the ground isn't lucky.

What's lucky is your ratio of interceptions / passes broken up. But if you force the ball out a lot, and if your secondary is great in coverage and defends passes well like the Iowa secondary, you're going to get a lot of turnovers on defense. That isn't luck.
Exactly, and why someone should read them the diatribe I wrote above and your even more clear explanation.

They don't get it. What happened on Saturday wasn't "luck" and they weren't on the verge of winning. They were physically dominated by a much better team at home to the point they quit with over a quarter to go.

Hall couldn't run and fumbled. Purdy was getting smacked around every series until he finally physically and mentally broke in the late 3rd quarter.

Again, the difference in the programs was stark and you can see it in the QB's. One of them got smacked around but knew enough to just make a safe play and not fuck over his defense. The other one tried to do a bunch of stupid shit and fucked his team. Discipline isn't easy, and it is one thing Iowa State doesn't have.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score

They've had ONE relatively good team in the lifetime of any of their fans. Maybe we shouldn't expect them to understand the component parts of good football.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
As pointed out before, they don’t understand that it’s infinitely harder, if not impossible considering recruiting limitations, to go from a bad to a solid team than it is to go from a solid team to an elite one.
And you don’t understand winning in the dark and a 5 star culture!

thrawn

Reaction score
“We will” is a cool sign, and they’ve been using the Trice quote for a while.