Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There's a difference between thinking incorporating more Jack Trice is smart of them, and getting pissy about some generic joke.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
most people are familiar with plural and collective pronouns?
Oh we got a funny guy!

What I am saying is how is anyone supposed to associate "We Will" with an obscure bit of information like the Trice letter where he wrote "I Will!" I knew the Trice story, but knew nothing about the letter until this morning. Even then, it's a stretch to believe an Iowa fan intentionally was making a dig at Jack Trice.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
Oh we got a funny guy!

What I am saying is how is anyone supposed to associate "We Will" with an obscure bit of information like the Trice letter where he wrote "I Will!" I knew the Trice story, but knew nothing about the letter until this morning. Even then, it's a stretch to believe an Iowa fan intentionally was making a dig at Jack Trice.
This is correct. I had no idea where this phrase originated. Why change the actual quote and not just leave it "I Will" and use it as a personal encouragement to each of your players/coaches?

CMC is a poor man's PJ Fleck...and that's hard to do.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
“Imagine the hissy fit if…..”

I love when someone else’s hypothetical acts cancel out the actual acts of the person making that argument. In his mind, his ‘keeping tabs’ hissy fit doesn’t count but the hypothetical one is everything.
We talking hypothetical grievances in here?

thrawn

Reaction score
Oh we got a funny guy!

What I am saying is how is anyone supposed to associate "We Will" with an obscure bit of information like the Trice letter where he wrote "I Will!"
Presumably it’s mostly for Iowa State fans and players. They’ve been using “I will” for quite a while.

I don’t give a shit about any hissy fits, but “how could anyone understand ‘we will’ from ‘I will’??”
isn’t a good argument

Iowa’s tunnel has “swarm” in it. Do you think random TV viewers know WTF swarm means?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Presumably it’s mostly for Iowa State fans and players. They’ve been using “I will” for quite a while.

I don’t give a shit about any hissy fits, but “how could anyone understand ‘we will’ from ‘I will’??”
isn’t a good argument

Iowa’s tunnel has “swarm” in it. Do you think random TV viewers know WTF swarm means?
That wasn't my point. My point was how are people supposed to know what we will means when the actual quote is changed from a very obscure letter? The tiniest amount of the smallest fraction of people are going to know this, clones.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
There's a difference between thinking incorporating more Jack Trice is smart of them, and getting pissy about some generic joke.
True. And take it from someone who wants them to crash and burn, but I also don’t know why they don’t go more down this route to define themselves as unique. Go back to cardinal and gold and use only the Trice five stripe chevron on helmet logos, jerseys, mid field, and all other media branding. While originating from old jerseys that many teams of the time wore, them using it now and it’s relevance to Trice would define them as unique. I would even use it for other sports (basketball shorts, wrestling singlets), a full rebranding. It’s a no brainer. Probably why they won’t do it.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Campbell can actually coach though, unlike Fleck who is an intolerable piece of shit that is a used car salesman.
I still am not sold on his coaching.

Last week wasn't the first time he quit on his team, he did it against Louisiana in 2020 by basically letting the clock run out, not using his timeouts, and not using the smallest of opportunity he had to make a comeback.

In 2021, he barely defeats FCS Northern Iowa.

In 2020, he loses to Group of 5 Louisiana in a blowout.

In 2019, he finishes 7-6 (including a bowl blowout in which they were highly overmatched). Including the loss to Notre Dame, Iowa State was 1-3 against ranked teams, with the lone victory against #19 Texas by 2 points. The other 3 losses were to unranked teams.

In 2018, Iowa State was 8-5, including 2-3 against ranked teams. The ranked victories were against #25 Oklahoma State, and #6 West Virginia (a nice win). They lost to 2 unranked teams, and barely beat Drake.

2017 was his breakout year, and the reason he is still getting credit for today. He finished 8-5, including 3-1 against ranked teams, and victories against two top-5 teams (Oklahoma, TCU). This was an impressive season.

I would say he is a decent coach, but nothing great. He is the perfect fit for Iowa State. His shit would never fly at the NFL, and he would bomb out quickly if he were to go to the NFL. He would also struggle at a USC or Penn State. He has also never defeated Iowa, even when Iowa State was supposedly the better team.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I still am not sold on his coaching.

Last week wasn't the first time he quit on his team, he did it against Louisiana in 2020 by basically letting the clock run out, not using his timeouts, and not using the smallest of opportunity he had to make a comeback.

In 2021, he barely defeats FCS Northern Iowa.

In 2020, he loses to Group of 5 Louisiana in a blowout.

In 2019, he finishes 7-6 (including a bowl blowout in which they were highly overmatched). Including the loss to Notre Dame, Iowa State was 1-3 against ranked teams, with the lone victory against #19 Texas by 2 points. The other 3 losses were to unranked teams.

In 2018, Iowa State was 8-5, including 2-3 against ranked teams. The ranked victories were against #25 Oklahoma State, and #6 West Virginia (a nice win). They lost to 2 unranked teams, and barely beat Drake.

2017 was his breakout year, and the reason he is still getting credit for today. He finished 8-5, including 3-1 against ranked teams, and victories against two top-5 teams (Oklahoma, TCU). This was an impressive season.

I would say he is a decent coach, but nothing great. He is the perfect fit for Iowa State. His shit would never fly at the NFL, and he would bomb out quickly if he were to go to the NFL. He would also struggle at a USC or Penn State. He has also never defeated Iowa, even when Iowa State was supposedly the better team.
He’s absolutely a good coach. And while the bar is incredibly low, he’s performed better than any coach iowa state has ever had. They have had a winning record four years straight for the first time in history. Their recruiting has improved. The program is average, the cyclone fanatic fans are out of their minds and suck, but Campbell is a good coach.

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
"Could you imagine the hissy fits if an Iowa State fan account made fun of something from Iowa's history" hurr durr durrr

Jesus fucking Christ I can't handle it anymore.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Campbell can actually coach though, unlike Fleck who is an intolerable piece of shit that is a used car salesman.
Fleck has a better win percentage at Minnesota than Campbell does at ISU, and Campbell is literally an Advocare salesman. They are 97% the same dipshit. The one thing that redeems Campbell relative to Fleck is that Campbell hasn't done anything as brazenly self-glorifying as the Row the Boat horseshit, though the black uniforms aren't exactly a far cry from that.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I didn't think the last 4 days could get any better, then I see this. What they just got done branding their stadium and new facility with turns out to not be unique at all. Shocking
I mean, Michigan's helmet is an artifact from a time when that basic pattern was used to stitch leather helmets together. It wasn't unique then and is unique now.

I'm with Tin Man - the smartest thing they could do is go all in on the Trice legacy. The five stripes logo is simple, unique (for 2021 at least), memorable, timeless, and most importantly isn't a stupid cartoon bird/tornado amalgam or a fucking clipart-ass logo crapped out of a focus committee. But, because they're Iowa State, they make that a secondary logo to the most generic logo in all sports and fart out a bunch of 2010-Oregon-vintage alternate uniforms that don't even use school colors in lieu of utilizing what little tradition they have.

They deserve nothing but scorn and failure for the rest of time.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
I pay no attention to uniform/logo matters, but that 5 stripe Chevron, despite my long dead great grandmother’s possible trademark usage, seems like their Tigerhawk. Never take it off the helmets (I actually have no idea if ever Iowa takes it off to prove my introductory point). I’ve seen Iowa State play a lot of football and couldn’t tell you what to expect on their helmets the next 5 games.

Or do a birdnado and fuck off.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
The only "tradition" they have is Trice, who they can vaguely tie to that logo. It was generic then, but it's not now. They should use in every way they possibly can.

The brilliance of the tiger hawk is that even for relatively causal sports fans, when you see it, there is only one team it can be. Even the Michigan helmet has at least one imitator (or predecessor, as it turns out). This can be theirs, if they have any sense at all.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Instead of Jump Around they should play a fast-paced country song (Cotton-Eye Joe?) and have a selected student fucking two guys in a cow suit at the 50 yard line. The student section could pump their hips right along with the guy on the field. The alums could reflect happily on their younger years. Animal husbandry could be celebrated. Big win here I tell ya!

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Speaking of new traditions, I saw the ISU fans did that "spin your hand around in a circle" thing that was circulating on Twitter last week.

Too many traditions to keep track of!

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Instead of Jump Around they should play a fast-paced country song (Cotton-Eye Joe?) and have a selected student fucking two guys in a cow suit at the 50 yard line. The student section could pump their hips right along with the guy on the field. The alums could reflect happily on their younger years. Animal husbandry could be celebrated. Big win here I tell ya!
I think they ought to play Meat Loaf. "We won stats, we won culture, but we still couldn't manage to win the damned game. Now don't be sad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad."

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Close enough.

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
But does it have a good beat...and can you fuck a cow to it?
Well you see that's the lead-in. Next comes "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". And most Clonies' parents are intimately familiar with that scenario, so it would become party time in a Trice.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Similar to what Texas A&M does (or something), but during the game at a specified time, the crowd is supposed to put their hand in the air and spin it around like a cyclone. There was a tweet about it last week, and ABC showed the crowd doing it on Saturday.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
It turns out, when your program has absolutely no tradition, because historically nobody gave a fuck, it's really hard and awkward to invent some.