- Iowa vs Rutgers. 1/2/21. 1:00pm. ESPN2 -

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Tweets like that don’t happen unless Barta is truly running a discriminatory athletic department.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Fuck yeah, Keegan!

bohannon like swag and he's about the last player coming into the year that I would have said had this level of confidence / big clangers.

"The basket looked big to me," Murray said after the game. "I saw the first one go in and then I just had the confidence in me that I could make them. I didn't feel any pressure, I've been through it before, I trusted my shot and it went in. I knew it was going to go in."

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
4 of Rutgers starters had 13, the 5th had 17. Impressive.

Reaction score
The play of Murray and the one signature move by Garza is probably causing a really dominant Garza stretch to go overlooked. Just rewatching my freshly downloaded torrent of the game.

At 9:00 minutes left and right after Weiskamp's 3 point play to bring it to 50-54. Garza still only had 10 points.

Garza then hit that mid range jumper on the pass from Ulis to get started. After the JBo transition three and two Weiskamp free throws Garza then proceeded to score our next 13 points (to take the lead at 59-57 and keeping it through 70-68) including that ridiculous juke, drive, and spin. Went unnoticed because how much ESPN2 / Dakich sucks at realizing what is happening in a game.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
The play of Murray and the one signature move by Garza is probably causing a really dominant Garza stretch to go overlooked. Just rewatching my freshly downloaded torrent of the game.

At 9:00 minutes left and right after Weiskamp's 3 point play to bring it to 50-54. Garza still only had 10 points.

Garza then hit that mid range jumper on the pass from Ulis to get started. After the JBo transition three and two Weiskamp free throws Garza then proceeded to score our next 13 points (to take the lead at 59-57 and keeping it through 70-68) including that ridiculous juke, drive, and spin. Went unnoticed because how much ESPN2 / Dakich sucks at realizing what is happening in a game.
Like Bill Walton, Dakich is just there to say insane shit for ratings.

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
The ability of Garza to step up and take over a game all by himself is something I haven't seen from a player in this state for a long time.

He has some incredible post moves and with his midrange jumper is extremely difficult to face guard. If you don't put two bodies on him you won't stop him. Rutgers had the right idea and had contained him for 30+ minutes, but he still figured out how to overcome it.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Dakich just calls is like he sees it. I’ve warmed up to him and actually like when he’s the announcer. He’s pretty fucking brutal when he’s criticizing your team though.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

We’re so spoiled that we don’t even focus on Garza being dominant because he is always dominant. He’s one of, if not the, greatest Hawkeyes of all time.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score

Holy fuck, you must have had shit in your ears during the broadcast. Dakich fawned over Garza a lot, and during the stretch in the 2nd half he criticized Wieskamp a lot for not getting it to Garza while he was dominating.

Reaction score
Holy fuck, you must have had shit in your ears during the broadcast. Dakich fawned over Garza a lot, and during the stretch in the 2nd half he criticized Wieskamp a lot for not getting it to Garza while he was dominating.
There was nothing on the order of "Garza has scored Iowa's last 9/11/13 points" "putting Iowa on his back" etc. The Weiskamp thing was because Weiskamp had two awful forces during that stretch. And of course you fawn over an AA a lot but it did not nearly do justice to a stretch of that nature which was basically ISU (minus the 3s) but during a close game on the road versus a ranked team.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
It was absolute shit word choice when I called Keegan a "garbage guy" -- a lot of cuts for dunks, points off rebounds, but I was a little skeptical about him creating his own shot against a quality defender. What he did yesterday removes all doubt. Great first step, and damn does he get off the floor quickly. Great balance, and a solid handle for a forward. He's not the defender that pappa was (yet?), but he's already a better player on the offensive end. Stretch 4 that can slash and create his own shot, but doesn't force anything. He's going to be pretty fucking good.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
my hype assertions for the day are that '19-'21 Garza is the most dominant player I've seen in a Hawkeye uniform, and that includes Ronnie, and that Kenyon was the best defensive wing.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score

Garza could’ve had 35+ easy if they let him take over earlier. There were stretches with that freshman guarding him and the ball was not getting to him. They finally realized they had to get the ball in his hands and let him face up from the perimeter.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
It’s got to be disheartening for other big men. You do a phenomenal job on him for 30 minutes. Then he has a 5 minute stretch where he just torches you and still ends up with 25.
When it’s a victory that you held him for XX minutes, but he still ended up with 25+, it’s beyond special.

Was chatting with a buddy and we both agreed that yesterday, given the defense he was seeing and the difficulty of his looks, it may have been his most impressive performance this year.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
big, skilled, strong, smart, persistent, and huge motor

college teams aren't going to contain that for a whole game -- at some point the elastic is going to snap and he's going to go off

enjoy him while he's still here

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
WHAT ABOUT GUSTAFSON?!?!?!
He actually reminds me of her around the hoop. He's decisive and gets shot in the rim that often have no business going in. Both incredibly special players.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
When it’s a victory that you held him for XX minutes, but he still ended up with 25+, it’s beyond special.

Was chatting with a buddy and we both agreed that yesterday, given the defense he was seeing and the difficulty of his looks, it may have been his most impressive performance this year.
Saw someone talking about how well Rutgers defended him yesterday and honestly they did. And he STILL got 25 points on 11 shots.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Dakich just calls is like he sees it. I’ve warmed up to him and actually like when he’s the announcer. He’s pretty fucking brutal when he’s criticizing your team though.
I liked him and that play by play guy together a lot. Even if that guy is a filthy fucking white sox guy. Dakich just needs to talk a little less.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
He actually reminds me of her around the hoop. He's decisive and gets shot in the rim that often have no business going in. Both incredibly special players.
they should marry and combine to make TomLemanskiish pivot play videos.....

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dakich sucks because of how hard he tries to fit his tough guy bullshit into the broadcast.

When he's just calling the game, he's pretty good.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Dakich was complaining about the refs midway thru the 2nd half cause they were interrupting the flow of the game. No Dakich, Rutgers incessant fouling was interrupting the flow.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He was sort of right, but in reverse.

There is this phenomenon where officials let most contact go in the first, then in the first five or so minutes in the second, call everything in an attempt to 'clean it up.'

I would argue that officials should just do their jobs starting from the tip, but the inconsistency is noticeable and annoying.