- Iowa vs Rutgers. 1/2/21. 1:00pm. ESPN2 -

Reaction score
The charge call against Wieskamp against Harper is a great example of how Big 10 basketball is officiated. In no way should that play ever be called a charge. It is an easy fix, yet, officials love to call that a charge

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The charge call against Wieskamp against Harper is a great example of how Big 10 basketball is officiated. In no way should that play ever be called a charge. It is an easy fix, yet, officials love to call that a charge
Even when there’s no fans to cheer for them

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Only real Wieskamp criticism is when he drives, he’s driving and that is that. Not going to pass or read the situation, just going to drive. That’s pretty nit picky though because he has quite a bit of success doing it. Sure I’d like for him to kick it out if he’s stuffed, but that’s kinda like saying he should have kicked it out when he didn’t score but smartly kept in when he did. In short, he’s still really fucking good.

Reaction score
There was nothing on the order of "Garza has scored Iowa's last 9/11/13 points" "putting Iowa on his back" etc. The Weiskamp thing was because Weiskamp had two awful forces during that stretch. And of course you fawn over an AA a lot but it did not nearly do justice to a stretch of that nature which was basically ISU (minus the 3s) but during a close game on the road versus a ranked team.
Who gives a flying fuck?

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
A friend who isn’t a hawk fan but watches every big ten game told me last year that it seems like Wieskamp sometimes just seems disconnected from the Iowa offense. I love Wieskamp but there are times where Joe just kinda goes rogue and forces things. That kind of happened in the second half yesterday when Dakich was getting on him for not continuing to force feed Garza. I’m ok with it..I think Iowa is overall much better when Joe is in attack mode. But JW probably feels the pressure to put up numbers more than anyone else on the team and it does look weird when it doesn’t fit the context of the offense

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Perhaps Im biased but it feels like that call goes against us a lot over the years.

Wisconsin and Michigan State get those moving feet charges often because they sell it, as if Chris Kyle sniped them from the upper concourse.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
A friend who isn’t a hawk fan but watches every big ten game told me last year that it seems like Wieskamp sometimes just seems disconnected from the Iowa offense. I love Wieskamp but there are times where Joe just kinda goes rogue and forces things. That kind of happened in the second half yesterday when Dakich was getting on him for not continuing to force feed Garza. I’m ok with it..I think Iowa is overall much better when Joe is in attack mode. But JW probably feels the pressure to put up numbers more than anyone else on the team and it does look weird when it doesn’t fit the context of the offense
Not just the offense, he get completely disconnected from the team. Wieskamp has immense talent, but seems to lack focus. I think Fran playing others and sitting Joe was intended to be motivation. Just not sure it worked.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I disagree. He stayed in front of him and got rewarded. That is a charge or a no call IMO.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I don't think a no call is an option when the ball handler goes to the ground due to the contact. IMO anytime you begin to fall before taking contact it should be an automatic block and they should give you a flop warning.
He was leaning and fell over in front of someone. There is way too much intentional falling down in college basketball.

Last edited:

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I suspect that's the result of him playing HS basketball with literally nobody else worth a damn on the floor with him.

The drag on Wieskamp coming to Iowa was how much one-man ball he played, but that was because Muscatine's coaches knew damn well there was absolutely zero talent besides him and basically told him to do whatever he wanted. It's obvious he reverts to some of those bad habits if things aren't going smoothly.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
You can’t just put your chest in front of someone.

I get it, the call has evolved over the years. And it’s complete fucking bullshit.
I agreed with the announcers that if that is consistently called a block it would be insufferable. I’m fine with the call. It was good D. Did he exaggerate the contact? Of course. If the roles were reversed and they had called a block in Rutgers’ favor, I wouldn’t have thought it was a big deal, either. I thought it was a charge.

Mainly, I think citing that play as an example of how bad Big Ten officiating has become is a little much.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Officials seem to have a certain exuberance when calling the charge, but Joe leaned in with his shoulders and initiated contact.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I agreed with the announcers that if that is consistently called a block it would be insufferable. I’m fine with the call. It was good D. Did he exaggerate the contact? Of course. If the roles were reversed and they had called a block in Rutgers’ favor, I wouldn’t have thought it was a big deal, either. I thought it was a charge.

Mainly, I think citing that play as an example of how bad Big Ten officiating has become is a little much.
Wrong

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Harper got beat on the first step and instead of allowing Joe to get to the basket, he leaned back and dumped the play forcing a call from the official. That type of faggotry being called a charge is awful.

I do agree with Revolver- that’s called a charge plenty and not the best example of why giant douche officiating is so bad.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
In college basketball, the defensive player always gets the benefit of the doubt. Defenders are allowed to grab, hack, hold, hand check, etc., but the second an offensive player initiates the slightest bit of contact, the defender flops backwards and it’s an automatic charge. It’s nonsense and garbage basketball.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
A friend who isn’t a hawk fan but watches every big ten game told me last year that it seems like Wieskamp sometimes just seems disconnected from the Iowa offense.
This is a really interesting way to put it, and is consistent with how I see him.

It is as though he is a rogue actor at times, doing what he feels rather than what the offense asks of him.

The blinders when driving is an example of that. I think the defense could send five players at him and he would still try to get to the hoop rather than passing to one of his four open teammates.

Disconnected. It fits.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Rewarding flopping is never “a little much.”

That particular play is a block. He wasn’t squared up, he didn’t beat the ballhanlder to the spot, and he wasn’t shouldered or shoved.

I’d be 1000000% ok with these idiots getting T’d up for the bullshit flopping.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

And it was the wrong call for multiple reasons.