***Iowa Women's Basketball 2018-19***

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Joking aside, that’s a big time marketing move by someone just hoping to latch on

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I clearly haven’t been paying attention or DMOFR, but this article (which was actually a pretty nice update on Megan) says she is 6’3”. I guess I thought she was taller than that. Her playing in TBT is great marketing, but only being 6’3” could really not end well.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I clearly haven’t been paying attention or DMOFR, but this article (which was actually a pretty nice update on Megan) says she is 6’3”. I guess I thought she was taller than that. Her playing in TBT is great marketing, but only being 6’3” could really not end well.

It is not going to go well for her most likely. She is 6'3'' as you mentioned and that means that MAYBE she will be as tall as most of the PG's playing.

She can't shoot outside of 5' and while she moves great for a women's post player, she will struggle to make it up and down the court effectively.

Sundown

Homewrecker
Reaction score

It is not going to go well for her most likely. She is 6'3'' as you mentioned and that means that MAYBE she will be as tall as most of the PG's playing.

She can't shoot outside of 5' and while she moves great for a women's post player, she will struggle to make it up and down the court effectively.
In a smart marketing move on both sides, she would become the first active women's pro player to participate in TBT.
but would she?

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Joking aside, that’s a big time marketing move by someone just hoping to latch on
Woman plays in men's tournament is a nice headline, but that all goes away when (a) they don't win - and I assume they won't, (b) no one actually watches or cares what happens, and (c) she is ineffective in the one game they actually play before being eliminated.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Woman plays in men's tournament is a nice headline, but that all goes away when (a) they don't win - and I assume they won't, (b) no one actually watches or cares what happens, and (c) she is ineffective in the one game they actually play before being eliminated.
So sort of like Iowa States marketing department

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Good call. What if they did this just to placate the 3000 twitter followers they lost and then just sit her on the end of the bench? Not good enough. Still outraged.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
It's not great, but it's not as bad as it seams. I believe Texas has no state income taxes if you chooses to reside there for over 6 months. Assuming she takes the $12,000 personal exception, she's only paying a little over $3,000 in federal taxes. I would think her team would give her per diem, and other perks, and she can probably rent a place with one or two of the other rookie players. Hell, she may clear as much as $1,500 to $2,000 per month. That's not bad for a 23 year old to travel the country playing basketball. It's certainly not NBA money, but probably OK for an average 23 year old.

Sundown

Homewrecker
Reaction score
$42k isn’t that bad for entry level and they can get housing, car leases, etc. plus it’s only for half the year, she can go to Europe or coach the rest of the year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It's not great, but it's not as bad as it seams. I believe Texas has no state income taxes if you chooses to reside there for over 6 months. Assuming she takes the $12,000 personal exception, she's only paying a little over $3,000 in federal taxes. I would think her team would give her per diem, and other perks, and she can probably rent a place with one or two of the other rookie players. Hell, she may clear as much as $1,500 to $2,000 per month. That's not bad for a 23 year old to travel the country playing basketball. It's certainly not NBA money, but probably OK for an average 23 year old.
The season is about 3 months long. If stays on the and makes the $42k, she is going to clear about $10k per month.

WNBA players don't have to pay for their housing. The team provides an apartment or a stipend for a market value 1 bedroom apartment. They also get a per diem that covers food and incidentals.

It's a fucking great deal for a league that hemorrhages money and is only still around because the NBA doesn't want the bad PR of shutting it down.

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
The season is about 3 months long. If stays on the and makes the $42k, she is going to clear about $10k per month.

WNBA players don't have to pay for their housing. The team provides an apartment or a stipend for a market value 1 bedroom apartment. They also get a per diem that covers food and incidentals.

It's a fucking great deal for a league that hemorrhages money and is only still around because the NBA doesn't want the bad PR of shutting it down.
That's not too bad when you consider she's 23.

douglasbader

Reaction score

That's not too bad when you consider she's 23.
Yep. She will be making over 6 figures for most of her 20's if she can play overseas.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
nba should pay for men’s housing as well. Equal opportunity and all

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole of feminist articles on how the WNBA is treated unfairly and the NBA and men are responsible.

Fuck them. Stupid fucking people that think because you have a vagina and men are EVIL!! that women should be give a blank check even if their "sport" is the most boring shit of all time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Pull the NBA funding and let the WNBA exist on their own. They will be out of business next week.

The biggest thing is that NBA players get 54% and the WNBA only gets 24% of revenue, but they forget to mention that the NBA turns a profit and the WNBA has never made money. Ever.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Women are pretty fucking stupid.

We are underpaid!!!!!! Even if there is revenue but not profit we deserve to fly charter and get paid!!!!!!!!

douglasbader

Reaction score
The men get 55% revenue and we only get 25%!!!!

Ignore they make money and we lose millions. We should get 50% and get paid too!!

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I know people around here hate Rome for a variety or reasons (he hates KF, he's not Aww Shucksy midwestern, and he's just kind of a DB), but one of his best bits was always when he would get David Stern on and rail on the WNBA. Every single time.

A lot of celebrity interviewees have topics that you cannot discuss as an agreement prior to an interview. Apparently this was never off the table as the first 3-5 min was always dedicated to the WNBA and how awful it is as a product.

Rack him.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I know people around here hate Rome for a variety or reasons (he hates KF, he's not Aww Shucksy midwestern, and he's just kind of a DB), but one of his best bits was always when he would get David Stern on and rail on the WNBA. Every single time.

A lot of celebrity interviewees have topics that you cannot discuss as an agreement prior to an interview. Apparently this was never off the table as the first 3-5 min was always dedicated to the WNBA and how awful it is as a product.

Rack him.

Reactions: BBK

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Retired Gustafson's number today. Looking damn good.

She looked pretty good, but that's a weird choice of photo centered on a fat camera man and her covering her face and standing at a odd angle.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
No, Doug is right. Those pants are terrible.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Although I still couldn't get that damn, fat camera man out of the shots. He's like freaking Waldo, in every picture. Also those pants are look great.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Although I still couldn't get that damn, fat camera man out of the shots. He's like freaking Waldo, in every picture. Also those pants are look great.
Not even the fattest camera man at Carver.