- Mich St vs Iowa. 2/2/21. 6:00pm. FS1 -

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I feel a lot better about playing all of these tough games in a short stretch with the way the bench has looked. If they can play like they did tonight, they will be fine.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
At the end there, did you guys see Izzo tell Fran, "If I had him, my last loss would have been in 2019."

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Joe T played well. Had some great passes to patrick in transition. Freshmen played well. Perkins isn't scared to play. Speaking of playing scared, Wieskamp is inconsistent as hell and it drives me nuts.

bohannon needs to have limited minutes when he isn't getting open and hitting shots. Him struggling to dribble the ball down the court isn't good for the offense if it's a night where he's not hitting several 3s. That's all on Fran.

Glad I can bitch about this stuff after a win over michigan state.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Only had 5 turnovers but seemed like 15 with all the missed free throws and Garza missing a few gimmies as well.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
His best defense was to send Iowa to the line.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
3 1/2 years later and it's still insane how easy Garza makes 20 and 10 look

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I really like pretty much our top 11 guys but sometimes it seems like they just don't mesh the best or because of seniority we're not seeing the best combinations.

Ulis definitely has a great feel for the game and might be our best pure PG but I can see why Fran is hesitant to take minutes from a legend and a sophomore that played pretty damn solid last year.

Then you have Nunge that is a great backup 5 and would be a starter on a hell of alot of teams but he gets alot of time out of position because of the NPOY.

Keegan and Patrick are both really promising but do alot of the same things. Outside of shooting I really like our guys off the bench almost better in alot of areas but they all play together so their weakness sticks out. It's a similar situation for the starters but in reverse in alot of areas.

Anyway, that's alot of rambling to get to the point that I'm glad Fran was tinkering with the lineup because I think some different combinations could make this team even better.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Defense off the bench won the game, go figure.
In game even money bet giving 4 1/2 lolol great finish imo.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
3 1/2 years later and it's still insane how easy Garza makes 20 and 10 look
There have been 12 games of 27+ points and 10+ rebounds in the Fran era. Luka accounts for nine of them.

Luka Garza is the first Hawkeye with 27/10 in a WIN over Michigan State since Acie Earl had 27/16 in a 96-90 OT win on Jan. 28, 1993.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
That was a game Iowa has lost for essentially my entire lifetime as a fan. It was refreshing to see Iowa get punched in the mouth and fight back several different times. I hate izzo ball but it also had to demoralize MSU that Luka just keeps coming after them.

Connor was awful which we don’t normally see. I can’t see that happening too often.

This team can win a bunch of different ways and that’s really impressive. Their FTs, DRebs and defense in general were all broken, they weren’t on fire from 3 and found a way to win.

I expect the freedom of movement to return in March and Iowa is built for that. They can beat anybody in a free flowing game. But they can also beat them in an ugly game too.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
It’s kinda ironic that we were all begging Fran to shorten the bench at the beginning of the year, and that same second five has bailed the team out of no less than three games this year when the starters have been soft as butter.

Basically, we are all dumb.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Also, it’s crazy that Fran surrounded Luka with practically no reliable three point shooters and still had a productive offense.

Creed

Reaction score
I joke about this and there’s no chance it would happen, but Luka should come back next year. He would be a two time player of the year, possible 3,000 point scorer. An all-timer, not just at Iowa but in the history of college basketball.

It doesn’t make sense but it would have to be a little tempting ego-wise.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It’s kinda ironic that we were all begging Fran to shorten the bench at the beginning of the year, and that same second five has bailed the team out of no less than three games this year when the starters have been soft as butter.

Basically, we are all dumb.
It also helps when your bench has 2 guys with solid playing experience, a top 100 recruit in patrick, murray who is one of the more productive players on the teams, along with two freshmen guards who are ready to play. All without mentioning Kris who Kenyon said came in more ready to play than Keegan.

Fran is fine managing a team that deep. No brady ellingsons or Dominique Uhls make a difference

Creed

Reaction score
Iowa is going to go from a team of shooters surrounding an incredible post to a total run and gun team next year.
Yeah you can start to visualize what it will look like without Luka. And it should still be fun.

I think we are also officially on Luka/Marble watch. We are about a week away.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
That was a game Iowa has lost for essentially my entire lifetime as a fan. It was refreshing to see Iowa get punched in the mouth and fight back several different times. I hate izzo ball but it also had to demoralize MSU that Luka just keeps coming after them.

Connor was awful which we don’t normally see. I can’t see that happening too often.

This team can win a bunch of different ways and that’s really impressive. Their FTs, DRebs and defense in general were all broken, they weren’t on fire from 3 and found a way to win.

I expect the freedom of movement to return in March and Iowa is built for that. They can beat anybody in a free flowing game. But they can also beat them in an ugly game too.
I saw we were up 1 with 5 to go and I said to myself "Oh no."

And Im not that fan. Always think we have a shot in whatever sport. But just knowing the Iowa v. Michigan State history during the Izzo era.

My hope was minimal.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
It also helps when your bench has 2 guys with solid playing experience, a top 100 recruit in patrick, murray who is one of the more productive players on the teams, along with two freshmen guards who are ready to play. All without mentioning Kris who Kenyon said came in more ready to play than Keegan.

Fran is fine managing a team that deep. No brady ellingsons or Dominique Uhls make a difference
For sure, but we knew all of that except the Keegan factor at the beginning of the year. We’re dumb. And I’m fine with it.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
What was the lineup down the stretch? Luka, Nunge, Touissaint, Perkins, Murray?

And they did fine until Luka missed a couple/got hacked with no call and MSU scored 6 in a row or so.

That was kind of a surreal moment. No bohannon. No Wieskamp. And me being somewhat okay with it.