- Mich St vs Iowa. 2/2/21. 6:00pm. FS1 -

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I said in chat that I really would love to win the Powerball and donate $100m to the athletic program on the condition that I get 1 hour per week with the team to do a film session where I do nothing but highlight these and scream at them.
If I win Powerball after doug I will donate the amount needed for me to film this and have it be a HaLo exclusive each week.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If I win Powerball after doug I will donate the amount needed for me to film this and have it be a HaLo exclusive each week.
Here is what it would look like...

Me to bohannon:

Me talking to CJ and Pat about their wing responsibilities:

Me after the 6th MSU three goes in:

Me turning to Fran shaking my head:

Reaction score
Here is what it would look like...

Me to bohannon:

Me talking to CJ and Pat about their wing responsibilities:

Me after the 6th MSU three goes in:

Me turning to Fran shaking my head:

Needs idiot sandwich for someone. Probably a "the risotto. Fuck!" for Patrick on his out of his position with wild flailing fly by defense.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
It was really refreshing watching Perkins play zone tonight. He was in the right position, talking and pointing to others, and occasionally pushing teammates into their spots. The announcers tonight were right..it really is impressive how much confidence he plays with for being a guy who doesn’t get in every time out.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I expected pretty much nothing coming into the season from Keegan Murray and Perkins. Thought for sure before Covid there was a decent chance they both redshirt and might make ok role players 3 years from now. Expected very little from Ulis this year.

Now we have all of them playing key minutes and all of them look so much better than expected for a Top 5ish level team.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
This is why the freedom of movement will be good for Iowa in the tournament argument is so fucking stupid. They're not going to lose because of a lack of freedom of movement, they're going to lose because they're complete and total ass on the defensive end.
The situations where physical limitations are the problem are understandable. See Suggs v. bohannon as Exhibit A.

The failures to adhere to basic defensive principles have three possible causes.

1. The players aren’t bright enough to understand what they are supposed to do.

2. The players aren’t taught what they are supposed to do.

3. The players DGAF.

Last edited:

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
The situations where physical limitations are the problem are understandable. See Suggs v. bohannon as Exhibit A.

The failures to adhere to basic defensive principles have three possible causes.

1. The players aren’t bright enough to understand what they are supposed to do.

2. The players aren’t taught what they are supposed to do.

3. The players DGAF.
It’s 3, because they’re so cocky (which isn’t necessarily bad) that they can outscore everyone and it won’t matter.

Reaction score
Yeah my two cent amateur analysis, I don’t think it’s a conscious “I don’t care about defense” attitude. It’s not being locked in every possession, especially when they aren’t scoring. Then things are moving fast, they aren’t dialed in and you see the “oh shit” reactions when they’re late and out of position.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Yeah my two cent amateur analysis, I don’t think it’s a conscious “I don’t care about defense” attitude. It’s not being locked in every possession, especially when they aren’t scoring. Then things are moving fast, they aren’t dialed in and you see the “oh shit” reactions when they’re late and out of position.
Of course. No one actually doesn't care. They just don't care enough.

Any variant of #3 is on Fran to fix. Willingness to sit the offenders is a good start.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Right. It’s how it’s taught. It’s also a mentality both individually and collectively. You can get a team of non-athletes to defend. But it’s also usually about the only thing they can do too.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I said in chat that I really would love to win the Powerball and donate $100m to the athletic program on the condition that I get 1 hour per week with the team to do a film session where I do nothing but highlight these and scream at them.
I would pay to watch that.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
you can add any bench player(who plays) into the starting five and the defense improves. thats crazy

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
bohannon just doesn’t have the athleticism to be a good defender. The other 4, even Luka since he really just had to hold position, could all be good defenders.

I don’t get people that say the team defense will improve when bohannon is no longer the starting point guard. He wasn’t the starting point guard for the majority of last season and they were still bad.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
I chuckle at these sometimes. Guys do this bc they know they’re going to get the “he cares so much. Look!” tweets.
I think the media does it for that reason. Players are student-athletes. Once they leave the arena they are off to their studies (or class, depending upon the time) and likely not back to the arena for more shooting.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I chuckle at these sometimes. Guys do this bc they know they’re going to get the “he cares so much. Look!” tweets.
Exactly! If they really cared, they’d get locked inside the locker room so it would never get brought up. Ever.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I rem thinnking last nite when Murray came up with a loose ball on the offensive end that we rarely get a loose ball with the starting 5.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If only you weren’t a total dumbfuck people might take you seriously.

Lol, here we go where Coff somehow confuses people saying one single game (Gonzaga) that defense wasn't the main issue and it was weird shooting percentages on both sides (along with his premise about shooting percentages being terribly wrong) and interprets that into everyone saying Iowa had a good defense and he was the only one saying their defense sucked.

He's an idiot.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon just doesn’t have the athleticism to be a good defender. The other 4, even Luka since he really just had to hold position, could all be good defenders.

I don’t get people that say the team defense will improve when bohannon is no longer the starting point guard. He wasn’t the starting point guard for the majority of last season and they were still bad.
You don't get why people say that removing the worst defensive PG in the league should help the defense? Even if we say his replacement is about the same with regard to defensive team principles the individual defense alone is an upgrade.

How many times in late shot clock situations do we see guards comfortably rise up and knock down jumpers because they don't have to worry about a JBo contest or just a general breakdown off the dribble that causes guys to rotate. This team is obviously not very good rotating so hopefully if your individual defense is better that will limit some of the rotations.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Lol, here we go where Coff somehow confuses people saying one single game (Gonzaga) that defense wasn't the main issue and it was weird shooting percentages on both sides (along with his premise about shooting percentages being terribly wrong) and interprets that into everyone saying Iowa had a good defense and he was the only one saying their defense sucked.

He's an idiot.
If there is one thing that has been consistently parroted here for years it’s that Iowa has good perimeter defense.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
this actually isn’t uncommon. Take a look at overall KenPom ratings in any given year. Scan the AdjD column and when you see an outlier relative to overall KenPom ranking, you will more than likely see an exceptional offensive team. It’s a program philosophy as far as where you focus your practice time.

look at iowa, LSU, and Toledo this year; Gonzaga, iowa, creighton last year. Etc, etc.

It’s more of a stylistic choice unless you have the raw talent to do both.

douglasbader

Reaction score
this actually isn’t uncommon. Take a look at overall KenPom ratings in any given year. Scan the AdjD column and when you see an outlier relative to overall KenPom ranking, you will more than likely see an exceptional offensive team. It’s a program philosophy as far as where you focus your practice time.

look at iowa, LSU, and Toledo this year; Gonzaga, iowa, creighton last year. Etc, etc.

It’s more of a stylistic choice unless you have the raw talent to do both.
I agree with this somewhat. Iowa's mentality is much more in the "can't wait until the other team is done with their possession so we can get the ball out quickly and fly up the floor and get a score" in how they look like they approach the game. They operate as if, oh well they scored we'll get it back in then next few seconds.

What makes it maddening is they actually can and have played some lock down defense when engaged. They are capable, they just aren't focused on it most of the time.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Well anyway congrats to DonJMiller for turning his fortunes around last night. I look forward to your future success!

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well anyway congrats to DonJMiller for turning his fortunes around last night. I look forward to your future success!
Not to be a Debby Downer, but he started this thread before Indiana.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Not to be a Debby Downer, but he started this thread before Indiana.
I am aware. But now he's back on track! And much better than that other shouty piece of shit that usually starts the game threads.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I am aware. But now he's back on track! And much better than that other shouty piece of shit that usually starts the game threads.
What was that? Couldn't understand you with that big dick in your mouth....

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
What was that? Couldn't understand you with that big dick in your mouth....
Kind of goes with the old adage, "If you're going to go around with a dick in your mouth, might as well be a big one."

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Perkins was outstanding in the matchup zone covering up the free throw line area. Joe T did a nice job covering it as well but MSU used his height to their advantage a couple times. Perkins simply wouldn’t let anybody roam that area which is how Izzo was trying to attack it early in the second half.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Considering that bohannon has provided almost no offense in the last handful of games, and his offense was presumably why he was in the starting line-up to begin with, why not start Joe T and use bohannon off the bench in certain spots and late game shooting situations. I mean you either have a player on the floor who is basically contributing nothing and is actually a liability on the defensive end, or a guy who plays pretty solid defense, can run the floor, and beat his man off the dribble. Not a hard choice, if you ask me.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
We got good Joe T last night. He still averages twice as many turnovers per 40 minutes as bohannon. So if you're willing to eat a couple more empty possessions a game, then by all means start Joe T. Plus, bohannon spaces the floor and gives Garza room to move. Otherwise you got Joe T's guy sagging off and helping on defense all the time.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
We got good Joe T last night. He still averages twice as many turnovers per 40 minutes as bohannon. So if you're willing to eat a couple more empty possessions a game, then by all means start Joe T. Plus, bohannon spaces the floor and gives Garza room to move. Otherwise you got Joe T's guy sagging off and helping on defense all the time.
The problem with starting JoeT is Connor is also on the floor, and no CJ.

Reaction score
I thought he was the difference last night. It seems like he maybe presses too much due to his PT being down. Feels like he has to make something happen since his PT is so limited.

I also think playing with the second unit as opposed to the first is part of the reason for the turnovers. The second unit obviously doesn't score like the first so he gets caught trying to create too much out of necessity. It's easy for bohannon to not turn the ball over when he back dribbles all the way down the floor, doesn't create anything off the dribble and just stands out there and shoots the rest of the time.

Last edited: