***Official 2014 Offseason Thread***

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,275
I should qualify that slightly. I don't know if AW's numbers are better with BJ's team. That team didn't need a pg who was great at getting his own. But I know BJ would not have put up AW's numbers on AW's team. I just don't think he was a carry the team and create everything pg.
 

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,690
Reaction score
-10,540
He had one season that he wasn't a net negative and that was mostly because od the team around him.
The season where he was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year?

I am not saying he is some great player, but "wasn't a net negative" is a bit much.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,241
Reaction score
27,852
Erek Hansen?

We have two C's on this year's team that are better than that skinny dork. He had one season that he wasn't a net negative and that was mostly because od the team around him.

The guys that do basketball at BHGP are wholly retarded.
Hansen was an absolute game changer his Senior year.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
One year he wasn't a net negative. Please explain to me how that was wrong.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
Unless you guys value spazzy turds who can't rebound, then by all means he rocked his first few years.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
The correct answer is

BJ
Sam Williams
John Johnson
Ed Horton
Greg Stokes

...and Erek Hanson was garbage.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
Also, LOL that four players from the Northwestern State loser team are in the top 20 ALL-TIME! list while NO PLAYER from the '55 and '56 Final Four teams make it.
 

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
-1,131
One year he wasn't a net negative. Please explain to me how that was wrong.
Depends on what premise you're going with. I find Doug's "assuming their prime" to be the most useful. So if you're going with that one, you're assessment of "not a net negative" is an egregiously understated way to describe the conference defensive player of the year.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
I realize you only have $15 but I'm surprised no one has picked Lester yet.

Then again, no one on this board was probably alive to see him.
 

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
-1,131
I realize you only have $15 but I'm surprised no one has picked Lester yet.

Then again, no one on this board was probably alive to see him.
I do think he has the most value relative to the other 4/5 matchups.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,813

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Ronnie Lester, Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Ed Horton and Erek Hansen. Erek, stay the hell out of the way except for the rebounds on offense, and block a shot or two on defense--which my team will neither need nor bother to play much.
 
Last edited:

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Sam Williams behind Kingsbury at WG is a joke. Kingsbury shouldn't be on the list unless the standard is raw talent, and even then he's no better than a 4. Basketball equivalent of "million dollar arm, ten cent head." Bob Hansen should be in those five.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Ronnie Lester, Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Ed Horton and Erek Hansen. Erek, stay the hell out of the way except for the rebounds on offense, and block a shot or two on defense--which my team will neither need nor bother to play much.
I do worry about Easy Ed getting gassed in the running game, which he did frequently--but with Lester, Brown and John Johnson on the team, there would be many possessions on which he and Hansen would be instructed to stay on the defensive end and rest.
 
Last edited:

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,596
Reaction score
1,859
Erek Hansen?

We have two C's on this year's team that are better than that skinny dork. He had one season that he wasn't a net negative and that was mostly because od the team around him.

The guys that do basketball at BHGP are wholly retarded.
Total exaggeration. He was a defensive force. That team had the #2 defense in the country with a terrible offense. They weren't that good defensively because they were loaded with athletes who could stop penetration.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,120
Reaction score
51,540
Also, LOL that four players from the Northwestern State loser team are in the top 20 ALL-TIME! list while NO PLAYER from the '55 and '56 Final Four teams make it.
That 2006 team that lost to NWST would kick that 55-56 final four team's ass.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,275
I tend to agree, BBK. Just hard to even see greats like George Mikan, Bob Cousy or Jerry Lucas translating to today's game, IMO.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
Man, come on, I've had a rough night, and I hate fucking Erek Hansen, man.

 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,227
Reaction score
-96,184
Ronnie Lester is the best player Iowa had in my lifetime. Had he not been hurt, his career would look like Isiah Thomas'
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Let me be the first to complain that our horrible non conference schedule is going to hurt our tourney chances when we are on the bubble.
You know the dog days of the offseason are here when you're willing to venture onto the HR free hoops board looking for anything resembling information. Someone recently posted a scheduling thread there in which it was reported that Iowa will be playing Longwood next season, and that Longwood finished 343rd out of 351 teams rated by KenPom last season. Someone also posted that the Longwood game is part of a packaged tournament and Iowa had no control over who the patsy teams in the tournament would be.

If I recall correctly, though, Fran made a comment earlier this spring implying that we shouldn't expect much change as to how many patsies we'll be seeing in the discretionary 2014 non-conference schedule.
 

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
-4,149
Let me be the first to complain that our horrible non conference schedule is going to hurt our tourney chances when we are on the bubble.
You know the dog days of the offseason are here when you're willing to venture onto the HR free hoops board looking for anything resembling information. Someone recently posted a scheduling thread there in which it was reported that Iowa will be playing Longwood next season, and that Longwood finished 343rd out of 351 teams rated by KenPom last season. Someone also posted that the Longwood game is part of a packaged tournament and Iowa had no control over who the patsy teams in the tournament would be.

If I recall correctly, though, Fran made a comment earlier this spring implying that we shouldn't expect much change as to how many patsies we'll be seeing in the discretionary 2014 non-conference schedule.
Seems to be true.
Longwood will be heading to the 15,400 seat Carver-Hawkeye Arena this year for the first time, as the Lancers are set to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes early next season. The game against Iowa will be the second year in a row the Lancers have a played a Big Ten opponent after facing off with Penn State this past year.

The Hawkeyes were 20-13 this past year and lost to Tennessee in the “First Four” of the NCAA Tournament. Fran McCaffery’s squad loses Roy Devyn Marble and Zach McCabe but returns plenty more talent.

Iowa joins the list of James Madison, Ball State, and Miami (OH) as road challenges for Longwood next year. The game also likely means a probable appearance on the Big Ten Network for the Lancers. Longwood has played Big Ten opponents Illinois, Maryland, Penn State, and Nebrantska in past seasons.
http://lancersblog.com/category/mens-basketball/
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,241
Reaction score
27,852
Anyone who bitches about the Non-Conference schedule this year is a complete fucking retard.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
One year he wasn't a net negative. Please explain to me how that was wrong.
He always a game changer when he was on the court, but early on he got in too much foul trouble to stay on the court. And just calling him "not a net negative" really understates how good he was a senior. He was one of the best defensive players in the country and the single biggest reason Iowa had one of the best defenses in the nation that year. Teams flat out did not go in the paint when he was on the floor.

There are lots of dumb parts of that BHGP thing, but that isn't really one of them. For whatever it's worth I'd go Woolridge, Brown, Johnson, King, Hansen. King at $2 behind Street and Brunner seems like the dumbest part of that, aside from Kingsbury as the second best shooting guard (and especially having him over Sam Williams, who was a Big Ten player of the year and All-American). Johnson at 3 feels wrong too, but is defensible given the competition.
 
Last edited:

ChipHilton

Hawkeye Historian
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
8,447
Reaction score
-290
Roy Marble at $5 and JJ at $3? As the yoots say, wut? I guess it does give one the opportunity to stack a team by adding Lester to Fred and JJ and picking Hansen and Horton up for a buck each.

A hell of a team. The greatest shooting and passing guard in Iowa history, the greatest transition guard in Iowa history and the greatest passing and scoring forward in Iowa history teaming up with a tough banger and a shot blocker.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Roy Marble at $5 and JJ at $3?
My gut feeling is that Johnson was probably the best SF in school history, but I can at least see the arguement for him being behind the school's all time leading scorer (although was Marble really a SF? I thought he played SG for some reason) and a Hall of Famer.

Also unrelated but that list makes me sad that the best player in Iowa history, Connie Hawkins, never actually got to play a game for bullshit reasons.
 
Last edited:

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Roy Marble at $5 and JJ at $3?
My gut feeling is that Johnson was probably the best SF in school history, but I can at least see the arguement for him being the school's all time leading scorer (although was Marble really a SF? I thought he played SG for some reason) and a Hall of Famer.

And of course the best player in Iowa history, Connie Hawkins, sadly never actually got to play a game for bullshit reasons.
JJ was only a two year player though, and he had about the same amount of points in his two years as Roy had in his last two seasons - in 20 fewer games.
 

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
-669
don't think there's any iowa jj on youtube, but watch some 78-79 sonics games and tell me jj wasn't the best sf iowa's ever had
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Roy Marble at $5 and JJ at $3?
My gut feeling is that Johnson was probably the best SF in school history, but I can at least see the arguement for him being the school's all time leading scorer (although was Marble really a SF? I thought he played SG for some reason) and a Hall of Famer.

And of course the best player in Iowa history, Connie Hawkins, sadly never actually got to play a game for bullshit reasons.
JJ was only a two year player though, and he had about the same amount of points in his two years as Roy had in his last two seasons - in 20 fewer games.
Yeah I'm not arguing. If he and Freddy had been able to play four years they'd both be way out in front of everyone else on the scoring list (especially if they'd had the three point shot, which I imagine would have helped a dude nicknamed "Downtown" just a tad). I'm just saying I get why they put Marble first. It's not how I'd order them, but I can at least see the argument, unlike having fucking Kingsbury over one of the 5 or so best players in school history.
 

ChipHilton

Hawkeye Historian
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
8,447
Reaction score
-290
Much as I hate to ditch Ronnie, I think I'll go for BJ at $3 and dump Horton for Street.

BJ can bring the ball upcourt, hand it off to Michael, er Fred and JJ and maybe get it back for some jump shots. And not have to watch Paxson or Kerr in crunch time.

Street adds ball skills, range and court running over Easy Ed, while still being a fine rebounder.

Good luck trying to zone this outfit.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Much as I hate to ditch Ronnie, I think I'll go for BJ at $3 and dump Horton for Street.

BJ can bring the ball upcourt, hand it off to Michael, er Fred and JJ and maybe get it back for some jump shots. And not have to watch Paxson or Kerr in crunch time.

Street adds ball skills, range and court running over Easy Ed, while still being a fine rebounder.

Good luck trying to zone this outfit.
I considered upgrading from Horton to Street by swapping Sam Williams for Brown, but I couldn't do it. Great players win games, and Ronnie and Freddie were the greatest.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,241
Reaction score
27,852
I would guess that Devyn will be kept far away from him now.
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
4,231
Reaction score
-978
I didn't realize he was doing this, but Trey Dickerson tweeted that he graduated from his JUCO in 1 year.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
PTL starts Thursday.

I wouldn't be surprised is his career at Iowa doesn't last three seasons.
Kids come and go before their eligibility is up all the time, so it's rarely a big surprise--but why are you skeptical about Dickerson in particular finishing it out at Iowa? If I had a concern for him in that regard, it would be that he may be disappointed in his PT.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432
PTL starts Thursday.

I wouldn't be surprised is his career at Iowa doesn't last three seasons.
Kids come and go before their eligibility is up all the time, so it's rarely a big surprise--but why are you skeptical about Dickerson in particular finishing it out at Iowa? If I had a concern for him in that regard, it would be that he may be disappointed in his PT.
Three things

1. He has a history of jumping around from place to place.

2. I'm skeptical of him as a player, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the short end of the playing time stick.

3. Dude is insanely sensitive- even compared to this past season's team. Some dope on Miller's site started a sour grapes thread about Dickerson being a better addition than Ulis would have been; obviously enough I disagreed, but not in an incendiary sort of way, Miller's site if strictly moderated. Dickerson then followed me on twitter, and proceeded to send me direct messages as to why I shouldn't compare him to Ulis, and that Ulis was only rated higher than him because Trey missed a season of AAU- or some shit.
 

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
4,188
Reaction score
5,618
Dickerson tweeted out that he'll be in IC on the 27th.
 

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
-669
Ptl rosters - fucking Jesperson. Remember when he was top 150 and White was the unranked fall back? Lulz.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,552
Reaction score
-6,140
PTL starts Thursday.

http://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/college/big-10/iowa/prime-time-league-opens-play-thursday/article_8008e50f-bf66-5a0c-8054-236d22b3fd06.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rosters

http://www.primetimeleague.com/rosters.html

The article doesn't mention it, but Dickerson won't be in Iowa until July. That isn't a big deal in the least bit, but I wouldn't be surprised is his career at Iowa doesn't last three seasons.
LOL at the home page image.
 
Top