**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that I am probably the biggest Jack Campbell person here and I hope he’s the starter along with Jacobs. I want athleticism out there.

I just think the idea that’s it’s a given that Doyle sucks is really stupid and has no basis other than hes white and related to a coach.
And his obviously extremely stiff hips and a slow first step.

Some us have the look and you know gift, while others don’t, I guess.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
This is fun. Iowa has always been a program where they would build up to seasons like this and then have a severe drop off for a couple years before building back up. Knock on wood, but it really seems that ever since the new football facility and coaching changes 2014-2016 happened that Iowa is to where they are a reloading instead of a rebuilding program.

Players keep getting better and better.
if they can keep the bad losses cleaned up it keeps the floor so much higher. They were pretty damn close the last two years with a bunch of close losses to good teams and if that’s the pattern some years the breaks fall your way
Keeping the floor higher also keeps the recruiting higher and feeds off each other. Having seasons where you struggle and to win 6 games and don't have anyone drafted in the early rounds hurts recruiting enough to make a huge difference at a school like Iowa. Keeping the current floor at 8 wins and having guys consistently drafted in the 1st and 2nd round is program changing.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
I hate asking this dorky question, but it does seem to always be relevant as guys mentioned during BOWL PREP!! turn out to be difference makers the following year.

Anyone stand out this year?

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I hate asking this dorky question, but it does seem to always be relevant as guys mentioned during BOWL PREP!! turn out to be difference makers the following year.

Hopefully Petras.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that I am probably the biggest Jack Campbell person here and I hope he’s the starter along with Jacobs. I want athleticism out there.

I just think the idea that’s it’s a given that Doyle sucks is really stupid and has no basis other than hes white and related to a coach.
And his obviously extremely stiff hips and a slow first step.

Some us have the look and you know gift, while others don’t, I guess.
again, the argument isn’t that he’s better than Campbell. I don’t think he is, assuming equal health.

the argument is that you said the defense will suck if Doyle plays.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
There were 14 freshman on the two deeps for that game and half of those guys played a key role last night. That class has a chance to be special and they’ve backed it up with another good class. Hard not to be bullish right now on Iowa football.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
I see no scenario where AJ and Wirfs return. Geno is 95% gone but the coaches are trying to talk him into staying.

thrawn

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Would love for Stone to stay but DB development isn’t exactly a concern with Parker

Reaction score
I don't understand the Geno thing. Love him as a college player but I don't see an early entry guy at all. Hooker went in the 4th and I think he was a much better prospect.

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
again, the argument isn’t that he’s better than Campbell. I don’t think he is, assuming equal health.

the argument is that you said the defense will suck if Doyle plays.
I said we will miss Welch badly if he plays, just like we did this year.

Reaction score

I believe Phil singled out DJ Johnson during his comments a few days ago

Reaction score
I don't understand the Geno thing. Love him as a college player but I don't see an early entry guy at all. Hooker went in the 4th and I think he was a much better prospect.
Is it a sure thing he even gets drafted? Hooker was big ten defensive player of the year and much more athletic in my opinion. Geno is small and gets trucked quite a bit.

thrawn

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe it was just bad luck this year, but I hope they figure out if there’s a better balance for physical practices and all the injuries they had in them this year. Iowa has to be the only team that left a bye week more banged up than they entered it in.

In particular it seemed to fuck with the OL consistency and sapped the DB depth that should have been a strength.

Kamala

Deadbeat
Reaction score
Guys that can consistently get to the QB are the most valuable thing in football. 1A to a Great QB’s 1A

even if we return 9 guys on D...Epenesa’s departure is going to be very painful for this defense if someone isn’t able to fill those shoes.
This is absolutely, unequivocally, untrue. As a single player, the QB is the most important person in a team by a wide margin.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
2019 wasn’t everything we wanted it to be, but a really enjoyable season that we will fondly remember. Really excited for 2020. The most encouraging thing I saw this year was from Brian seemingly trying hard to get his playmakers the ball. It seems like a simple concept, but it is something Iowa hasn’t done enough of over the years.

Iowa has a ton of skill position talent right now and maybe more than Kirk has ever had. Pretty easy to see even more offensive improvement next year even with a new QB. Get the ball to Goodson, Tracy, ISM, and Smith and things will take care of themselves.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Maybe it was just bad luck this year, but I hope they figure out if there’s a better balance for physical practices and all the injuries they had in them this year. Iowa has to be the only team that left a bye week more banged up than they entered it in.

In particular it seemed to fuck with the OL consistency and sapped the DB depth that should have been a strength.
Drinking some tears on USC message boards, I discovered they bitch about their practices being non contact and their players not being game ready a lot. Being tough and physical is one of the things that sets Iowa apart. Don't mess with what's working, imo.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
And how about Sam Laporta? What a stud. Good on the coaches for getting him on the field. He’s a role player next year, and has a chance to become an all big ten guy

Kamala

Deadbeat
Reaction score
This is fun. Iowa has always been a program where they would build up to seasons like this and then have a severe drop off for a couple years before building back up. Knock on wood, but it really seems that ever since the new football facility and coaching changes 2014-2016 happened that Iowa is to where they are a reloading instead of a rebuilding program.

Players keep getting better and better.
the floor is the highest it’s ever been in my life, in my opinion.

as with any level of football is usually comes down to your QB, and we have recruited better at that position than anywhere.
Correct

Reaction score

Drinking some tears on USC message boards, I discovered they bitch about their practices being non contact and their players not being game ready a lot. Being tough and physical is one of the things that sets Iowa apart. Don't mess with what's working, imo.
enjoy:

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/usc-trojans-iowa-hawkeyes-49-24-clay-helton-kedon-slovis-graham-harrell-141166168/

TL,DW: USC reporter won't shut up about iowa's preparedness, attention to detail, physicality in practices, etc.

Last edited:

Monster

Has Lupus
Reaction score
I don't know how it will translate to the college level, but Doyle was one of the best high school players I've ever seen. Maybe he bulks up and moves to end?

I don't know.

Reaction score

enjoy:

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/usc-trojans-iowa-hawkeyes-49-24-clay-helton-kedon-slovis-graham-harrell-141166168/

TL,DW: USC reporter won't shut up about iowa's preparedness, attention to detail, physicality in practices, etc.
I like that guy.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score

enjoy:

Lol. That old man is not happy. This goes back to physical practices as well. USC practiced only 11 times for this bowl. The results speak for themselves.

Reaction score

It was bad luck.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

enjoy:

I forgot they didn’t practice for the last week of the season and then only practiced 11 of their 14 bowl practices

clearly weren’t prepared to get their asses beat

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Geno is not particularly big or fast. The league is full of guys that like to hit that also bring better physical attributes.

Reaction score
Geno is not particularly big or fast. The league is full of guys that like to hit that also bring better physical attributes.
It has to be that they don't see much change either way. So 6th rounds this year or 6th round next year, might as well get paid before something bad happens.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
I don't know how it will translate to the college level, but Doyle was one of the best high school players I've ever seen. Maybe he bulks up and moves to end?

I don't know.
i don’t know how much weight he can realistically add. He looks pretty close to maxed out, but who knows.

I was less concerned about Doyles athleticism and more concerned about the accuracy and quickness of his reads at MLB. Overthinking makes you look slow.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
All the post game quotes from Stone make it sound like he's leaning toward leaving right now. I have not seen a ton of draft buzz about him but it's still relatively early. I think he'd get drafted and is good enough to be a pro but can't imagine it'd be before the fifth or sixth round.
If he leaves does Merriweather take his spot? It doesn’t seem like Dallas Craddieth is ever going to be anything as none of the coaches ever talk about him.

I’d like to see 1 of their 800 corners get a shot back there. I know Brents hasn’t been healthy but they really need to find a way to get him on the field.
Belton takes his spot I think.

I think Hankins and Brents will start at CB and Moss can find spots to work in.
Guaran dang tee that Moss starts next year

Reaction score
When I think of Doyle I think of James Morris. His early seasons weren't horrible but not fantastic either. He needed to develop. I see Doyle in this light. Maybe not next level awesome, but still a decent college level player.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
If he leaves does Merriweather take his spot? It doesn’t seem like Dallas Craddieth is ever going to be anything as none of the coaches ever talk about him.

I’d like to see 1 of their 800 corners get a shot back there. I know Brents hasn’t been healthy but they really need to find a way to get him on the field.
Belton takes his spot I think.

I think Hankins and Brents will start at CB and Moss can find spots to work in.
Guaran dang tee that Moss starts next year
Maybe. He was good this year. And I wouldn’t say we have exactly loaded up on high level CBS.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
I don’t doubt that constantly interacting with pessimists on social media would be bad for your psyche. But like I said, there’s an easy fix.

Reaction score
I see no scenario where AJ and Wirfs return. Geno is 95% gone but the coaches are trying to talk him into staying.
Geno's pretty dumb if he listens to himself or his "friends" over Parker and Ferentz. He could be a sad young man a year from now.

Reaction score
You could read Eppy’s lips on the sidelines as he was talking to Van Valkenburg late in the 4th quarter

“You’ll be ballin next year”

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Damn. I’m never going to complain about a 10-3 season and a top 15 finish, but it’s going to be damn near impossible for Iowa to break through and win a Big Ten championship if they keep losing their 3-4 best players early every year. It is what it is, I guess.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
Damn. I’m never going to complain about a 10-3 season and a top 15 finish, but it’s going to be damn near impossible for Iowa to break through and win a Big Ten championship if they keep losing their 3-4 best players early every year. It is what it is, I guess.
That is the cost of raising the floor and being fantastic at developing players.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
The "good" thing is I don't think Iowa will have any early entry players next year. They will lose a ton of seniors, but don't think any juniors.

LaPorta is likely going to be one the following year. Maybe someone like Linderbaum and a defensive back as well.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
The "good" thing is I don't think Iowa will have any early entry players next year. They will lose a ton of seniors, but don't think any juniors.

LaPorta is likely going to be one the following year. Maybe someone like Linderbaum and a defensive back as well.
Linderbaum has the highest chance next year.

Petras too after he leads us to the CFP. ;)

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The entire first and second round is nearly all underclassmen. Good players will not stay 4 years anymore

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
Iowa coaches also knew this was likely coming with Epenesa and Wirfs the second they stepped on campus. The ones that burn a little more than usual are guys like Nelson and Hooker.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa coaches also knew this was likely coming with Epenesa and Wirfs the second they stepped on campus. The ones that burn a little more than usual are guys like Nelson and Hooker.
And Hockenson as a sophomore. But like you said, they basically have to expect it with players like LaPorta going forward. Even 5 years ago it would be entirely different.

It’s almost shocking that Jackson, Gholston and Smith-Marsette didn’t even entertain the idea.