**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
Every year there are some random guys that leave the program that you don’t predict. Wasn’t it Duwa last year that left the team and Kirk basically said ‘he’s trying to figure out what he wants to do in life’

It’s more likely some of the 4th year juniors who haven’t contributed get asked to move on than someone like Lockett leaving. After next year, the wide receiver room opens up a little bit.
 

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
20,293
Reaction score
10,138
I think we all saw the room for improvement. Im talking more abt the fact that he’ll be playing ahead of someone “more athletic” that will cause angst in some of our notable posters.
Sure. Because until he does make that leap, hes going to be a guy that has lapses in coverage, and lacks elite athleticism to recover from mis-reads

The idea that agreeing on that is somehow suggesting he can never good player is silly.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
I thought I saw one of the beat guy suggest a DE grad transfer possibility so I assume the staff has at least suggested being open to it. For whatever reason the DL depth doesn’t feel great right now.
Austin Schulte as a projected top 2 (or even top 3) is very much less than ideal, imo.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
They have more guys potentially coming up at DT though. Shannon has played a fair bit and Logan Lee is going to be good with a full off-season to focus on DT and bulk up.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
The WR depth, for Iowa, is just nuts. Smith, ISM, Tracy, Rigani, Martin, Pooper, Lockett, Huston, Jones, Vines and Matthews.
isn’t there another established white transfer too?
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,108
I think we all saw the room for improvement. Im talking more abt the fact that he’ll be playing ahead of someone “more athletic” that will cause angst in some of our notable posters.
Sure. Because until he does make that leap, hes going to be a guy that has lapses in coverage, and lacks elite athleticism to recover from mis-reads

The idea that agreeing on that is somehow suggesting he can never good player is silly.
Some will and you know it.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Is Greenwood a great comp for Koerner?

Seems more like a tiny Sash to me.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
I thought there was a directional Michigan transfer too, in addition to Jones
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Jack Combs was the name I was trying to recollect
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Combs was a walk-on who had 3 catches at Central Michigan, I don't think he's much of a factor
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Yes, less established than I recalled.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
9,742
Reaction score
-2,531
Every year there are some random guys that leave the program that you don’t predict. Wasn’t it Duwa last year that left the team and Kirk basically said ‘he’s trying to figure out what he wants to do in life’
From what I heard, Levi is more interested in a blue collar career path and only went to college because of football. It's tough to stay in school when injuries are derailing your football career and you don't like school anyway. His dad is a carpenter/farmer and I think that is what he's doing now.
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,595
Reaction score
-533
Every year there are some random guys that leave the program that you don’t predict. Wasn’t it Duwa last year that left the team and Kirk basically said ‘he’s trying to figure out what he wants to do in life’
From what I heard, Levi is more interested in a blue collar career path and only went to college because of football. It's tough to stay in school when injuries are derailing your football career and you don't like school anyway. His dad is a carpenter/farmer and I think that is what he's doing now.
Ran into him a couple weeks ago. He's working for another family member (not his dad) and is happy with his decision. He said his body feels "so much better."
 

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
20,293
Reaction score
10,138
I think we all saw the room for improvement. Im talking more abt the fact that he’ll be playing ahead of someone “more athletic” that will cause angst in some of our notable posters.
Sure. Because until he does make that leap, hes going to be a guy that has lapses in coverage, and lacks elite athleticism to recover from mis-reads

The idea that agreeing on that is somehow suggesting he can never good player is silly.
Some will and you know it.
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
 

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
8,184
Reaction score
-4,709
Sure. Because until he does make that leap, hes going to be a guy that has lapses in coverage, and lacks elite athleticism to recover from mis-reads

The idea that agreeing on that is somehow suggesting he can never good player is silly.
Some will and you know it.
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
I thought he was very solid in 2019, fwiw. Far from sucking.
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,946
From my perspective Koerner seems to be really good in run support, but he tends to be late on deep passes. I don't know if it's play identification, athleticism, or a mix of both but hopefully with a full season of tape on himself he can make some improvements there.

He's ahead of where Gervase was at the same point in their careers and Jake had a very solid senior season. If Koerner can play like that his junior season it would be fantastic. If Geno leaves perhaps he'll tend to play a little closer to the LOS and the other safety may tend to play deep.
 

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
18,542
Reaction score
18,887
Some will and you know it.
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
I thought he was very solid in 2019, fwiw. Far from sucking.
This. He didn’t remotely suck.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,363
Reaction score
30,288
Some will and you know it.
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
I thought he was very solid in 2019, fwiw. Far from sucking.
He was good. Pretty obviously struggled against NFL wideouts, but it would be crazy to expect much better at his age.
 

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
8,184
Reaction score
-4,709
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
I thought he was very solid in 2019, fwiw. Far from sucking.
He was good. Pretty obviously struggled against NFL wideouts, but it would be crazy to expect much better at his age.
I wouldn't even say he struggled against NFL wideouts. PSU, Michigan, & Minny all had NFL widedouts.

USC hit a 50 yarder over his head on a perfect throw. Other than that, I think I can only remember one throw (against ISU, iirc, not the halfback pass) that he was badly beaten.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,108
Sure. Because until he does make that leap, hes going to be a guy that has lapses in coverage, and lacks elite athleticism to recover from mis-reads

The idea that agreeing on that is somehow suggesting he can never good player is silly.
Some will and you know it.
The hope is that with another year of experience, and off-season of film work, etc that he can improve on those. But he wasn't a great player in 2019. So until those improvements we are hoping for start becoming visible, its a fair criticism.

You seem to weirdly extrapolate "he sucks" in to "he sucks, and he will always suck, and can never not suck." Its very Sal-esque.
That’s not what I’m saying. At all.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,363
Reaction score
30,288
I thought he was very solid in 2019, fwiw. Far from sucking.
He was good. Pretty obviously struggled against NFL wideouts, but it would be crazy to expect much better at his age.
I wouldn't even say he struggled against NFL wideouts. PSU, Michigan, & Minny all had NFL widedouts.

USC hit a 50 yarder over his head on a perfect throw. Other than that, I think I can only remember one throw (against ISU, iirc, not the halfback pass) that he was badly beaten.
Didn’t he get beat over the top against Minny?
 

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Joined
Oct 23, 2015
Messages
2,263
Reaction score
1,871
Its not so much that Koerner was getting burned in coverage, it was that he appeared to be out of position a number of times, leading to blown coverages and wide open receivers. For example, I remember one of the TD’s that Iowa gave up against Minnesota was due to a brutal blown coverage by Koerner.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,363
Reaction score
30,288
Regardless, the secondary should be good. If Koerner (or whoever) plays better next year they could be great.
 

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
8,184
Reaction score
-4,709
Its not so much that Koerner was getting burned in coverage, it was that he appeared to be out of position a number of times, leading to blown coverages and wide open receivers. For example, I remember one of the TD’s that Iowa gave up against Minnesota was due to a brutal blown coverage by Koerner.
Just re-watched that one. Yes, he got caught with his eyes in the backfield & gave up a 35 yard TD. I disagree that his mistakes were anywhere close to frequent, however.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
The point isn’t that Koerner sucks, it’s that with his current skill set he needs to be faster at reading plays appropriately because he does not have the athleticism to make up for mistakes
 
Last edited:

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
8,184
Reaction score
-4,709
The point isn’t that Koerner sucks, it’s that iwith his current skill said he needs to be faster at reading plays appropriately because he does not have the athleticism to make up for mistakes
And my point is that he was really good at reading plays, given his youth. He played a key position on a borderline exceptional defense and didn't come anywhere close to looking like a guy getting picked on, or the weakest link. Is his margin for error smaller, given his athletic limitations? Sure. The comparison to Greenwood is apt. He's on a similar arc.

So, yeah, the point isn't that he sucked. He is already really, really good & is only going to get better! His coverage lapses & busts in coverage were few & far between.
 

BuffettHawk

Useless
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
51,219
Reaction score
-16,365
Jesus, I thought he was a senior. He's been around forever it seems like.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716

Tarik Black is in the transfer portal and Nico Collins could also conceivably go pro early so we might be at the point where Oliver Martin would have gotten more playing time by just staying put.
 

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
104,020
Reaction score
-46,793

Tarik Black is in the transfer portal and Nico Collins could also conceivably go pro early so we might be at the point where Oliver Martin would have gotten more playing time by just staying put.
Martin? Who?

All I know is Iowa is fuckin set at receiver next year.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
What a time to be alive. Iowa is in position where one of their receivers would have gotten more playing time at Michigan than at Iowa.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,841
Extreme grain of salt here, but supposedly AJ Epenesa is conflicted and seriously considering coming back and playing his senior year. The thought is he thinks next year could be special and barring major injury isn't going to hurt his draft status and would be heavily insured.

I can't believe it, but have said before if there was ever going to be a player that was a first round lock to come back it would be him given the strong family support.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
How much insurance can he get?

Given the schedule, I’m not sure if “special” is possible, even with AJ coming back.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,841
This of course also means that sometime today he will announce he is going to the NFL.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,841
How much insurance can he get?

Given the schedule, I’m not sure if “special” is possible, even with AJ coming back.
I agree the schedule is going to be a bitch. Iowa State can always be a close game, even at Kinnick. Friday night game in Minneapolis on short rest against a team coming off 11 wins that returns their QB and most of their key players, and on the road at Ohio State / Penn State back to back is a bitch to start the year.

Iowa could be as good or better as they were this year and still easily start 4-3 with that schedule with games against Nebrantska / Wisconsin and at a likely dangerous Purdue team still to come.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I completely believe he's conflicted, I don't believe he'll actually come back. At some point I think the coaches and his family are probably going to sit him down and tell him he needs to go.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,841
I completely believe he's conflicted, I don't believe he'll actually come back. At some point I think the coaches and his family are probably going to sit him down and tell him he needs to go.
I agree, but can see the other side of it as well. Can't remember where I read it or if it was pure speculation, but supposedly Hockenson had expressed that if he had it to do over again he would have come back.

He ends up being a Top 10 pick, but goes to a shit organization and ends up having a terrible year. The team sucks and he ends up getting concussed and then put on IR in December and already the local media is questioning the pick and hinting at him being a bust.

If he comes back and barring major injury, then Iowa possibly wins the Big Ten West and is in the Rose Bowl. He is likely a consensus All-American again and a legend at Iowa that has his name added to the press box at Kinnick. He still gets to declare early and still likely goes in the Top 15 and makes a ton of money.

The schedule is likely a hindrance to Epenesa given how tough it looks, but same sort of scenario where coming back would get him consensus All-American status and his name on the press box forever. That would be hard to pass up.
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
I completely believe he's conflicted, I don't believe he'll actually come back. At some point I think the coaches and his family are probably going to sit him down and tell him he needs to go.
He doesn’t need to go. AJ is set for life one way or another.
Best case scenario for him: he leaves this year or next year, drafted in first round and becomes a multi millionaire.

Bad case scenario: he comes back, is injured for part of the year and falls a bit in draft. And still becomes a multi millionaire.

Worst case scenario: Comes back and has career ending injury. Collects insurance policy and likely gets paid 6 figures for the rest of his life doing something other than playing football. Multi millionaire.
 

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
18,542
Reaction score
18,887
NFL football is a job. I never blame people for going early, but I hope they all understand it'll never be like the college experience ever again for the rest of their lives.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,841
NFL football is a job. I never blame people for going early, but I hope they all understand it'll never be like the college experience ever again for the rest of their lives.
Personally, and of course this is easy for any of us to say, but I would come back if I was in his position. Get a nice insurance policy and come back and have fun doing something you will remember 50 years from now. Like I said in the post above, if I am TJ Hockenson 20 years from now knowing I am still a multi-millionaire no matter what I would gladly give up a 3-12 year with the Detroit Lions for a 12-2 year and a Rose Bowl with the Iowa Hawkeyes.

I don't see Dallas Clark or Robert Gallery or Bob Sanders or pretty much any of the former players moving to Indianapolis or Oakland and reminiscing about their pro playing days and being celebrated by the fans for a season they went 8-8 in. They all come back to where they went to college one way or the other and celebrate the memories they had while playing in the Big Ten.

The only guys with that sort of connection to the NFL end up being the first ballot Hall of Fame types, and even they still seem to talk more about their college days than their NFL days.
 

Fair and Balanced

Mailed a letter to Facebook
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
65,021
Reaction score
23,046
If he goes pro he’ll go to a shitty team and get a serious head injury in his rookie year.

If he stays he’ll go to the Rose Bowl and then get drafted by a good organization and not get hurt.

It’s a no brainer.
 
Top