**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Bob

Reaction score
Purdue would be the place for a qb to transfer to. They are loaded at wr
So he can go backup Plummer probably? If he wants to be a backup it'll be somewhere closer to home or he'll find a smaller Texas school where he can actually play.

I still feel pretty good about the QB situation. Mansell didn't really seem like he wanted to do anything by scramble when he was in. Padilla was a better recruit, has looked good in the open practices, and he enrolled early so he has had more experience and practice time than the usual redshirt freshman. He should be fine as a backup.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
He's going south. From Texas, his wife plays softball at a school down there somewhere. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in the state.

Pucker factor goes up with The two backups now being Padilla in his second year of the program and Deuce straight out of high school.
Padilla will be fine. This is probably a best for everybody thing.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Sounds like he will graduate in May and will be immediately eligible with 2 years left. That is great for him as it will make him more attractive as a transfer.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I'm guessing we get another off to the NFL announcement today? Didn't each of the early entries announce on consecutive days last year?

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I suppose that means Petras is actually pretty good and has the starting job for next fall wrapped up. I doubt Mansell would be transferring if he thought he had a chance to win the starting job.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Hoping Petras is a similar player to Slovis. That would be pretty, pretty nice with this WR corps.

Bob

Reaction score
I suppose that means Petras is actually pretty good and has the starting job for next fall wrapped up. I doubt Mansell would be transferring if he thought he had a chance to win the starting job.
I don't know if he's good yet but the writing was already on the wall as far as having the job wrapped up (or at least being ahead of Mansell) when they definitively named him the backup over a more experienced player. If they were really worried and wanted to keep Mansell around they would have put an or in there or something.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
He could easily go to Baylor and be with his wife. Not much behind Charlie Brewer on the depth chart
They've recruited a couple of 4 stars over the last couple of years. Who knows if they will develop, but there appears to be some talent there. The coaching change kind of throws things up in the air too.

Last edited:

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
It could also mean Padilla is good. And Hogan is coming in.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Sounds like he will graduate in May and will be immediately eligible with 2 years left. That is great for him as it will make him more attractive as a transfer.
He is planning to enroll at his next school by this upcoming Monday. Busy week for him.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
If you include Hogan, Mansell was the most lightly recruited of the 4 options so it's not super surprising. Obviously he had a little more experience but hopefully Petras is ready.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I wonder if Mansell will end up at Baylor with BF as the new head coach. :)

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If you include Hogan, Mansell was the most lightly recruited of the 4 options so it's not super surprising. Obviously he had a little more experience but hopefully Petras is ready.
Mansell was the last of the Greg Davis recruits. He was being brought in for an offense that doesn't exist.

Petras is the QB that O'Queef was hard up to get and has made his prodigy. He loves him.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Wisconsin’s stud center and Winfield Jr both announced they’re going to the NFL. As did Jake Fromm.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
sorry, AJ and Wirfs. Draft's full. Moose out front shoulda told you.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Reminder: something like 30% of early entrants didn’t get drafted last year.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Jake Fromm should have returned to school. He looked pretty meh at times this year

Bob

Reaction score
Jake Fromm should have returned to school. He looked pretty meh at times this year
He did but a lot of that was because their playcalling was awful and they're keeping the same coordinator. It's also a pretty bad QB draft which will give him a boost, in addition the boost he is already going to get from being a tall white guy who takes snaps from under center.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
At best he’s the third QB but some teams are going to fall in love with Herbert and Love

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Reminder, the Georgia coaching staff picked Fromm over Fields.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Reminder, the Georgia coaching staff picked Fromm over Fields.
Not a huge stretch to chose a guy who was in his second year, and truthfully had a really good sophomore season, over a guy in his first year of college football who really hadn't learned the college game yet. Fields has made a huge leap since last year and I'm sure will next year too but there's nothing wrong with who they chose.

Now their options are shit at the position and that's all on Georgia but I don't think they were planning on their QB recruit last year having brain surgery.

Bob

Reaction score
They didn't really let Fields do anything but run when they put him in last year, it's hard to know if that was him or just shitty coaching. He clearly has a much higher ceiling than Fromm did but I don't know if Georgia was the place for him to reach it. They're recruiting as well as anyone under Smart but they run a really boring outdated offense, which is especially glaring when recruiting peers like Bama and LSU have gone full blown spread.

They'll probably grab a grad transfer. Newman from Wake is in the portal and was awesome this year. He's said he wants to transfer to play in a more "traditional" offense to try to improve his pro prospects, which I think is a mistake for him, but it would put UGA in play.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
This real?

Edit.....No.....No it’s not
76FCDE6E-390B-4341-A61F-0DE3FCEF0900.jpeg

Last edited:

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Totally. Graphic design is his passion.

thrawn

Reaction score
If it isn’t right, @SportsSenate will be losing all credibility with House Thrawn.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
Dammit I didn’t see it was posted like 8 hours ago. I was sent it and they were all excited like they were just breaking the news.